Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 06:17 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,838,522 times

Advertisements

which makes it difficult for someone like myself who knows little about cars and is going through the car buying process.

you mention the accord on here to 5 people and you get 5 different opinions, along with the camry as well. you mention vehicle companies like a honda/toyota its either great or people avoid it. my nissan thread, i thought everybody hated nissan, but then there's people in the thread raving about nissan.

there is no consensus, nothing to go off on when i'm out tomorrow looking at cars. im frankly dissapointed that a forum full of auto enthusiasts cannont come to an agreement on what is/what is not a bad car. like i said, you ask 5 different people, you get 5 different answers.

one guy said avoid hyundai, another says its underrated, etc. no consensus on anything it seems. almost seems like the best way is to look at consumer reports or edmunds and see what the ratings from the customer and the reviewer are and go that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 06:39 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,552,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
which makes it difficult for someone like myself who knows little about cars and is going through the car buying process.

you mention the accord on here to 5 people and you get 5 different opinions, along with the camry as well. you mention vehicle companies like a honda/toyota its either great or people avoid it. my nissan thread, i thought everybody hated nissan, but then there's people in the thread raving about nissan.

there is no consensus, nothing to go off on when i'm out tomorrow looking at cars. im frankly dissapointed that a forum full of auto enthusiasts cannont come to an agreement on what is/what is not a bad car. like i said, you ask 5 different people, you get 5 different answers.

one guy said avoid hyundai, another says its underrated, etc. no consensus on anything it seems. almost seems like the best way is to look at consumer reports or edmunds and see what the ratings from the customer and the reviewer are and go that way.
Do you really need a consensus from this forum in order to make a car purchase? It's great to get suggestions, but why don't you do your own independent research? No one here is responsible for ensuring that you get the best possible car to fit your needs and taste .

Old 07-03-2014, 06:41 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
Quote:

Even with cars known for their glaring defects, you'll find people who love them. Not everyone here is an expert. We're more of car enthusiast than experts. Best advice I can give you is buy what you like that fits your needs. Even the most reliable brands have some defects that slips through. No one vehicle is perfect for everyone. While I now avoid General Motors (Chevy, Buick, Cadillac, & GMC) because of a history of denying to customers there were defects as GM sent notices to dealers about the defects, some here are still loyal defenders of GM. Hyundai & Kia certainly had garbage cars in the past, but they've made huge improvements.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:48 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,170,918 times
This is not a car forum, the level of knowledge is probably only a little higher than "The key goes here, and gas goes in there."

If you want good opinions on cars from car enthusiasts, visit a car forum.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:53 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,108,329 times
Quote:
im frankly dissapointed that a forum full of auto enthusiasts cannont come to an agreement on what is/what is not a bad car.
That's the problem... this is NOT a forum full of auto enthusiasts. (After all, you're here aren't you?)

There's a ton of people here as clueless as you are when it comes to cars. If you stick around long enough in this forum and read enough threads, you'll find out who has been here awhile and knows what they are talking about, and who doesn't.

Unfortunately the sheer number of clueless people giving their unfounded opinion sometimes obscures a truthful objective one from someone who knows what they are talking about.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:55 PM

708 posts, read 1,060,814 times
To the OP- Just curious- why do you think everyone hates Nissan? There are plenty of them where I am. Even GM cars, after all their problems, are still selling. Which might help to explain your consensus question.Everyone sees things differently. Tastes vary. Just look in the nearest parking lot. Many makes, models, styles and ages. Variety is the spice of life!

Old 07-03-2014, 07:01 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,593,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Even with cars known for their glaring defects, you'll find people who love them. Not everyone here is an expert. We're more of car enthusiast than experts. Best advice I can give you is buy what you like that fits your needs. Even the most reliable brands have some defects that slips through. No one vehicle is perfect for everyone. While I now avoid General Motors (Chevy, Buick, Cadillac, & GMC) because of a history of denying to customers there were defects as GM sent notices to dealers about the defects, some here are still loyal defenders of GM. Hyundai & Kia certainly had garbage cars in the past, but they've made huge improvements.
So you are the Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton of car buyers letting us all know not to buy GM You post daily threads about GM sometimes multiple threads about GM. We get it you don't like GM nobody cares let it go.

p.s. I forgot to change my name to victimofMcDonalds I ate another bad cheeseburger the other day.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:11 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
one thing i have learned over the years, dont listen to anyone as to what car to buy, listen only to yourself. we can make recommendations as to what we think would do well for you, but in the end we cannot buy the car for you, nor can we service it.

the best advice i can give when directing someone towards a car purchase is to tell them to make a list of all the cars they can think of that might work for them. then get opinions on each of these cars, and narrow the list down to 3-4 top candidates. then take that list of your top candidates and rent each one and drive them for a few days. take a road trip of 250 miles or so, drive the car around town as your daily driver for a couple of days, what ever. what this does is give you a car you are considering for purchase, the time you need to drive the car and without a salesman sitting over your shoulder either telling you all the good things about the car or constantly telling you to head back to the dealership to sign the papers.

it also lets you compare the cars directly again without salespeople sitting over your shoulder.

you get to find what you really like and dislike about the car, and what you can live with and live without.

one bit of advice, if you pick a car, lets say the nissan altima for instance, and wile driving the car you find that you dont like the way the seats feel in the car, i mean you really HATE the way they feel. do not try to kid yourself that you will grow to like the seats in time, because you wont. you will always hate them, and as such you will grow to hate the car, and that will color your opinion of the car over time so you cant be neutral to someone else about the car.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:15 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,333,016 times
Yeah but a forum full of car enthusiasts that all have different taste and needs will give you a bunch of cars they like that they could live with that would fit their need and may fit some of your needs.

But also Recommend vehicles that compromise on something you may prefer like more room or better fuel economy instead of comprise some of that room/Fuel economy for a sportier car or a larger vehicle with AWD/4WD.

Since people live all over the place in this vast country in many different climates and regions and seasons so they may prefer to have a Car/Truck/SUV or different make/model of vehicle with different features/options that you may put less preference or importance on for your vehicle.

Best thing to do is use the internet and read up on reputable owner/enthusiast sites and research all the cars that fit YOUR criteria/budget/Needs and then go and physically drive and test them out to figure what car is right for you and your needs and what you like best OP.

Last edited by GTOlover; 07-03-2014 at 07:29 PM..

Old 07-03-2014, 07:22 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,449,267 times
After being here awhile, a person begins to know to some extent which opinion might carry more weight than others. There are some who know a good opinion can be supported and didn't just materialize in someone's imagination. Some people think if a question is asked an opinion should be given. Of course, that's not necessarily true. If I know very little about a subject, I don't give an opinion. So many opinions will be contradicted by someone else. There are some who seem determined to put down an opinion with which they do not agree. It's too bad all of us do not have identical opinions and thoughts. I've learned that some posters I initially admired have not maintained that place. LOL I've also changed my mind about others one way or another. Years ago, I read how there are some people who will take the advice of someone met in a bar before they will listen to a family member. I don't doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive