Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 01:31 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,319,330 times

Advertisements

Get a 12 volt air compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Mine is a life saver. All of my cars have one. A good one can reinflate a completely flat tire in 2 mins.

Especially if you are traveling with out a spare. In fact this is better then a spare because most air leaks are slow leaks and you could easily keep going just by reinflating the tire a couple of times on the
trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 02:11 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
I don't actually have a spare in my car. I do not know why my vehicle was not equipped with one. I don't have a jack or wrench. Should I check with the shop?

Sunglasses. Check.
Charger. Check.

The other items I'll include in the kit I pick up. Thanks!
No spare? What kind of car? Some cars, such as BMWs, have "run flat" tires that can run at reduced speed even if they can't hold air.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:55 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Water, food, and money for turnpike tolls. Kleenex and napkins (you get those at Mickey D's) are handy. Lots of music to keep you awake.

Food: Nothing messy. Carrot sticks and pretzels rods are good. Eating keeps you awake. Drinking causes you to stop frequently, which also keeps you awake.

Stop every 2 hours, whether you need to or not, even if it's just for 5 minutes. It makes a huge difference.

It's 90 degrees; you don't need a blanket unless you want to sit on the grass at a rest stop.

Drive safely.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:46 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,328,392 times
I'm partial to AAA -- in no small part because I worked for them for a time as a road-service dispatcher. But any major auto-club type insurance should be sufficient.

I'm assuming you'll use I-80 for the trip rather than waste money and needless extra mileage on Pennsy Turnpike tolls; both routes have adequate cell-phone coverage, and plenty of State Police protection.

Very few late-model cars today carry "full" spares - just "donuts". If you're as well=protected as the next gal (or guy), then tire problems shouldn't be any more of a concern than for everyday driving.

I heartily agree that the mileage from Chicagoland to Jersey is way too much for a single stretch; Chicago-Toledo is about 235 miles. Add another 160 to the Pennsylvania border and 325 a to cross the Keystone State, plus whatever remains in New Jersey -- that's a minimum of at least 750. Once you pass Youngstown, OH, there are a number of clean, often college-centered communities well-suited for a stopover.

Have a fun and safe trip, and I hope it will encourage you to try it again from time to time, Most of the people out there on the road are "playing for the good guys".

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 06-24-2014 at 04:01 PM..

Old 06-24-2014, 03:56 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,173,361 times
A plane ticket.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:28 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,390,804 times
I've driven to Chicago and back to NYC and DC many times, but if you are not familiar with long-distance driving, I would suggest leaving the night before, and stopping at about 11-11:30PM. Long stretches of highway, especially at night, can have a hypnotic effect, that can creep up on anyone. Twelve hours of driving time is easily fourteen to sixteen hours, depending upon how long you stop for lunch, stops for fuel, stops for the ladies' room, etc., and factoring traffic. That would be a two-day drive for many people, so if not exactly familiar with the route, prudence would suggest taking extra time to make the drive for the sake of your safety and sanity.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-24-2014, 06:21 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,574,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Hi there!

I'm driving long distance from Chicago to NJ this upcoming weekend. I know I have to get my oil changed before then, but what else should I be doing? Is there anything else special I should pack? I don't have a car kit prepared and wanted to know if there were essentials, besides a cooler, of course.

It's approximately a 12 hour drive. Should I drive straight through or stop overnight?

Thanks!
Leave very early, drive straight through. You will be in NJ by dinner. I have done the drive countless times.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:25 PM

6,575 posts, read 4,966,508 times
Leaving early in the morning would make this an easy trip in one shot, 100% daylight. I could never justify paying for a hotel on such a short trip, unless I was so sick or tired I couldn't drive any longer. And if I was planning such a trip, you can bet I'd be well rested before I started.

Some new cars come with an inflate a flat kit instead of a spare. They don't even have spare tires wells. I do have a spare (swapped the space saver for a full size) so I make sure it's inflated before I leave. I get an oil change and give the car a once over. There are a couple of parts specific to my car that I carry, along with a tool kit. If its winter I make sure I have warm boots I can walk in plus a good coat and gloves (I don't drive with a coat or gloves on so they are stashed in the trunk).

I bring water with me and some easy to nibble on snacks. For some reason I like peanut butter with ritz crackers. No candy as that will mess up your blood sugar and may make you tired.

My phone is loaded with all my music and maps apps. I also carry paper maps and know how to use them.

I only stop for gas unless my bladder feels like bursting. I have a small tank so that's usually every 5 hours or so, I pee then and maybe grab food if the mood strikes me. Sometimes you get lucky and find a real restaurant near a gas station. I do try to get some real food if I'm on the road for 12 hours, snacking all day isn't good for my system as I need protein. I have done 9 or so hours without real food, as I ate a good breakfast prior and knew I was going to eat dinner when I arrived around 8pm.

If I ever feel so tired that I'm afraid I will fall asleep, I'll stop and nap but this has only happened 2-3 times in all my years of driving.

Enjoy your trip! I'm jealous, I so love driving

Old 06-24-2014, 06:31 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,917,540 times
When I was younger I would have done it in one shot. But I was invulnerable then. I'm not anymore, so I don't push it much beyond 8 hours driving time, maybe 10 with stops.

When you have once had the experience of dozing off...drifting off the road...and then waking up...then you reconsider the really long days. If you don't crash, that is.

Take loud music on CDs, that helps a bit too.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:51 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,970,584 times
Caffeine! A diet coke at the right time can do wonders to keep you from dozing. I'd play it by ear and see how you feel as far as stopping. Even a short snooze can do wonders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive