Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 11:26 PM

695 posts, read 714,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, let's put the question a different way.

Say we do lose cell phone comms (pick your disaster)?

Then, out on the road,what's your next means of communication?

Now, one might say, "Well, if a regional wildfire cooks the cell towers in an area, then I guess we are all up the creek!".

But given that massive wildfires are possible (don't know how the cell towers fared in the last ones), does one really want to be such a fatalist? Be out there like the rest of the herd with no communications?

Or, to put the last part another way, Fry's Electronics still sells CB radios.
Fry's Electronics |
As a business, there must be a profitable reason why they do. So if it really came down to it, there would probably be someone out there who could hear you.
For all things CB, Copper Electronics has the best prices and best selection as well as some "questionable" goodies.
Mobile | Copper Electronics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The range on a cb is very limited for general communication, Most units would be lucky to transmit and receive anything over 2 miles at best, being off the interstate your chances of hailing another cber are slim to none making it virtually useless as a means of emergency communication..
You can get them peaked and tweaked with SSB and you'll have a range of about 20 miles to Bases and 10 miles mobile to mobile.

On SSB, you've practically got the world because it's the active cycle in the 11-year sunspot cycle. That means most of the day time opens up the band and on SSB, you've got more power, range and clarity to contact them if need be.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
If I were in a remote area and needed help I certainly would worry about who knew it.
Just out of curiosity how many times have you heard of someone having a bad experience by contacting another person for HELP over a CB Radio as opposed to being stranded and taking their chances on the next vehicle that just happens by?

At least with a CB, there's a chance that someone else heard your call as opposed to the perfect stranger that stopped to help on a lonely open road in the middle of no where with no witnesses.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Please dont say the word "NEVER",you could jinx things!! (Challenge the universe,etc...)
Yeah, I know......

Old 12-25-2014, 11:44 PM

Quote:
To each their own, but it sort of reminds me of the situation in the movie "Marooned" when
Spoiler

the Soyuz showed up and Keith (Gregory Peck) was telling the Apollo crew that the intentions were unknown but if the Soviet (remember, this is late 60's Cold War) got there before the American Rescue, to go with him

That if one is in desperate situations, such as survival in remote areas, what are your options? Are you going to sit there and starve or die of exposure because you refuse to accept any contact except with those you know?

A and B.

A: Well, for the fear stated, that is one reason, I suppose in an interpretation, to why I travel with heavy firepower.

B: It does remind me of this story: God Will Save Me
Or C: Become a Ham Radio Operator (General Class).

Now you can bring your portable HF Rig, and long wire antenna. Two bamboo support poles (collapsible) and have a pair of Anderson PowerPoles installed in your vehicle.

You break down ANYWHERE in the world or even on the MOON; you whip out the HF Rig, string your wire antenna between the two poles and plug it in to your PowerPoles, and you can instantly talk all over the planet 24/7 or even to the MOON/Space Station/etc., and call for help!

EVERYONE you talk to is licensed so you can find out who they are, and they also have to give their contact info to whatever authorities they contact to report the incident.

When all else fails; there's Ham Radio.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Thank you!

As it is, one of my girl friends is a ham operator, she's lent me her book on how to become one. Becoming Ham is one of my goals..................

.......................as that out at my ranch, I don't get any bars, can't get a signal out.
After you get your Tech ticket, go for the General. If you get that, I'll be making a Contact with you on HF!

A Ranch! That's awesome! You can put up an incredible "Antenna Farm."

Old 12-26-2014, 12:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Z View Post
You can get them peaked and tweaked with SSB and you'll have a range of about 20 miles to Bases and 10 miles mobile to mobile.

On SSB, you've practically got the world because it's the active cycle in the 11-year sunspot cycle. That means most of the day time opens up the band and on SSB, you've got more power, range and clarity to contact them if need be.
More power and range is possible depending on how much you want to spend, problem is you have to have like minded individuals to communicate with and on my trips to Florida from Montreal i'm not hearing enough cb traffic to justify a major cb upgrade,
My suggestion to the op is a $35 cb is not worth the effort.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:54 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
This l00ks interesting!

www.youtube.com/v/7_35f49J8bQ

www.cbfunk-online.de

Old 12-26-2014, 09:41 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,126,271 times
Funny every tv reality show about truckers they are still using the cb. Look at ice road truckers. My brother dove truck cross country and he always used a cb.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:00 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Funny every tv reality show about truckers they are still using the cb. Look at ice road truckers. My brother dove truck cross country and he always used a cb.
Because everything you see on reality TV is real. In the great white north there is. It cell coverage, of course you'll need something. And you need a cb to make for some good tv. Sure, most trucks have a cb. Howeever, ever look at how many are not hooked up or how many are turned off?

Poor examples, if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive