Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 10:50 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,090,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Civic, Accord, Corolla, Camry
Overall, I think those are some of the safest bets. Of course, someone is going to come in and say they have a friend of a 3rd cousin who had one of the cars above and it was a lemon, etc... But overall, for the entire production line, I think it's hard to beat the track record of those vehicles above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrasfieldj View Post
Any lower mileage older Buick LeSabre with the 3800 six, or an older Town Car/CrownVic/Marquis with the 4.6L
I'm a fan of the 3800 six as well the Buicks that have them. Thought about getting one myself. Why? Because Buicks are generally marketed towards the older driver so they're comfortable and reliable. Plus they share most GM parts besides the cosmetic stuff so parts and labor for repairs/maintenance shouldn't be outside of what a typical GM would cost other than the Corvette/Caddy names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanSWM View Post
You may as well look for a new vehicle. One or two year old vehicles are no longer a bargain. The used vehicle market is high and has been for a considerable time. Many vehicles that do not sell as well as anticipated end up with incentives (discounts when new). If you buy near the end of a model year, you can obtain further savings, although sometimes the savings are eliminated by having no choice but heavily optioned vehicles.
That's some solid advice there, too. The used car market took a huge hit when the cash for clunkers thing went down a few years ago, took a lot of affordable used cars off the market and it's been a ripple effect since then, IMO.

However, I think going 4-5 years old is still a good bargain. The big depreciation hits have already been taken and they're probably looking at a vehicle in the 50k mile range, which for a modern day car isn't much even for something barely maintained.

Modern cars are definitely built to last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 11:56 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,457,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I dont care for the brand or how it looks. I think a used one that is a few years old will be more affordable.

Basically i dont care for the brand or how it looks

More about reliabilit, affordabilit, money saving, and not complex when changing basic stuff

Car and driver years ago got every characteristic a young driver was looking for in a used car and put them together to find a car for them.

They wanted low cost, low miles, fit all their friends in and junk, have low insurance, good milage and high safety ratings and be very reliable, easy to fix and cheap to maintain.

Car and Driver came back with a 5-10 year old Ford Taurus Station Wagon which could be had for like 3-5K and plenty of low milage ones in great shape on market.

After giving those same desires in a car the young folk said they wanted a Mustang, Camaro, Corvette whcih pretty much does not fit a single thing they need but it is what they want.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:00 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,457,490 times
Vovo out on Long Island which is owned by Original Owner became first non commerical single owner car in world to cross three million miles driven.

Orignal Engine, Tranny and Paint and owner does not garage it.

Suck that Subaru.

Used Checker Cabs all over ebay too in one to two million mile club.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:43 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,078,038 times
So say would a used 2008-1010 Toyota Corolla be affordable? How much would one be going for?

Old 07-15-2014, 01:00 PM

Location: Looks like I'm getting out "Valley On The Sun" Arizona
190 posts, read 416,071 times
Police issued Crown Vic purchased at auction under $600

Old 07-15-2014, 03:33 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,261,881 times
you can get a buick for a good deal, and they have decent motors

all depends on what you can spend

all the cars mentioned are decent, as are sonatas and impalas and fusions,,,,depending on your budget

Old 07-15-2014, 03:58 PM

501 posts, read 1,051,369 times
My first car was a blurple (thats right..a combo of blue and purple) Dodge Neon. As a 16 year old guy trying to act cool, I hated it. Now as a 25 year old, I can totally see how great of a choice it was for my dad. It was good on gas, not too powerful, and generally reliable. Best of all, it was cheap (which was good because I totalled it 6 months later).

Generally, if you buy a cheap car, and throw in a nice stereo, they will be somewhat satisfied. And if they are not, suggest they pay for their own vehicle

Old 07-15-2014, 07:31 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,409,585 times
To the OP - Before you make your final decision, narrow it down to a few then call your insurance agent for rates.

I asked my ins agent to get me quotes on a vehicle in my name with my teen driver licensed and on the policy. Rates vary significantly based on the mfgr/model/year.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:03 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,980,018 times
Subaru's must be a cold weather vehicle then. I seriously never see Subaru's in Southern California.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:29 PM

26,432 posts, read 46,652,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
My neighbor has a chevy that he says is in reality a differently badged Corolla, all I know is that it has 281K miles on it and has needed little repair. Supposedly, since it is officially a chevy, it costs less to buy.
Yes, that would be the Prizm sold under the Chevrolet nameplate up until the early 2000s, previously under the Geo brand tag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive