Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 02:58 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times

Advertisements

I'd go back to the garage where you had the work done and ask for some explanation as to why the brakes wore out so quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 05:44 AM

774 posts, read 2,380,655 times
Yes, the driver's side caliper had to be "sticking or dragging"....in effect keeping that brake on all the time.

Didn't you notice the car pulling to one side?.... how about when braking?

I've never seen a set of brakes wear that fast and the other side isn't worn so it's definitely a driver's side caliper problem.

As suggested, talk with the mechanic who did the job. Maybe he'll be sympathetic and help you out with fixing it without charging too much.

Mikey

Old 07-27-2014, 06:05 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
Year, make, model and mileage would be very helpful !!!!

Most likely a stuck caliper.

Have your mechanic take a look !!!!!

What's the warranty on the parts and labor ????

Remember that a stuck caliper wont be covered under his warranty.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:17 AM

546 posts, read 1,376,278 times
I agree with longnecker and jambo, have a conversation with the mechanic and business. Unless you have a real heavy foot on the break, you should get more out of the rotors. Even with non OEM stuff, it does seem a bit short lived. That span of time may not get you a refund or warrantee, but I would push it

Old 07-27-2014, 08:18 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
If only the driver's side pad is now worn out, you most likely have a bad or sticking caliper.
I the mechanic didn't clean and lube the slider pins when he replaced the pads/rotor before, it could have helped to cause the issue, but you won't ever be able to prove it.
First useful post in this thread. Simply complaining about parts is silly. No brake pads should wear out in six months. Same with rotors.

If just one brake pad wore that fast - it is a problem unique to that wheel.

Lots of non-OEM brake parts are good quality. Wagner pads are known to be very good.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:30 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,990,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Six months? I would have a conversation with the mechanic.
My thoughts as well....wondering if it was even replaced!

Old 07-28-2014, 11:07 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrant1 View Post
I brought both my car and my truck to a new mechanic to get everything taken care of when I got my tax returns. He said the brakes and rotors had to be done on a long list of everything else. Now, six months later my fiance calls me and says the drivers brake pad is completely gone and the rotor needs to be replaced. Is this possible?? I thought they lasted years??
I had this experience multiple times with Mazdas. At the time it was a known issue with them and it was truly a pain in my butt with rarely a year going by that brake work wasn't needed on one or both of my Mazdas. In hindsight, my wife did a lot of what I would describe as emergency or aggressive braking in daily driving... I don't know why, but it seemed that whenever I was a passenger with her I was rocked back and forth pretty harshly at least once. I was a dutiful husband and didn't make a big thing out of it because otherwise she was a safe driver with no accident history but it was no coincidence that things wore out or broke pretty fast. Any mechanic will tell you that a single emergency braking situation can cause mechanical failure of some kind to something in the brake system.

The other points on this thread are valid too... OEM parts are the best way to go for most mechanical repairs... generally. I made an exception to this rule of thumb with an old Jeep, however, when I replaced all the break pads with "expensive high performance/long-lasting" aftermarket ones. Although I was told a couple years later by a mechanic-friend that was a mistake due to potential heat buildup and thus rotor warpage, those brake pads, and I'm not exaggerating here, lasted me in excess of 9 years!

In your situation I would do this... talk to your mechanic, express how you expected the rotor and pads to last more than 6 months (referring to the work you just had him do). Hear him out regarding his explanation. If you feel good about it, then have him do the repair work. If not, then take this particular business somewhere else (I recommend a reputable dealership specific to your make and model vehicle) so you can make certain everything is on the level and taken care of.

Lastly, be honest with yourself and your fiancé... share the information about emergency or aggressive braking I wrote above. Try to make driving habit changes if that is at all probable cause.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:28 PM

865 posts, read 2,160,077 times
I have never had good luck when putting new pads in older calipers ... especially if they have spent a lot of time with old brake pads (not driven much, etc).

Likely, the caliper was always dragging a bit.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:14 PM

7 posts, read 30,219 times
Cheap parts man. When people come to one my stores my employees straight out give them three options. If a customer buys good ones we offer up to 2 year warranty on pads and life time on rotors. You also want to ascertain that he rotors were replaces and not re-surfaced.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:22 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
First useful post in this thread. Simply complaining about parts is silly. No brake pads should wear out in six months. Same with rotors.

If just one brake pad wore that fast - it is a problem unique to that wheel.

Lots of non-OEM brake parts are good quality. Wagner pads are known to be very good.
I agree - I'm not sure how cheap parts was the first thing everyone jumped to. Plus, if its a general parts issue, why just one wheel affected?

Most likely a bad install job or a bad part related to that one wheel. You should however inspect the other front wheel at least, and it might not hurt to see if your fiance drives with her other foot on the brake - to be worn out in 6 months means something is causing wear.

If the wheel was dragging, the car would be pulling to that side, and you'd hear it if you listened for it. Any idea how the car handled? How your fiance drives?

Which have you had longer, the car or the fiance? Knowing the history might give some clues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive