Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 07:47 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,356,909 times

Advertisements

Would look for a 2005-2007 Ford Five Hundred..

The Five Hundred and the similar Mercury Montego are based on the Ford D3 platform (also known as the Volvo P2 platform), which also supports the Volvo S60 and S80 sedans, V70 wagon, and XC70 and XC90 SUVs.

This platform underpins the Ford Freestyle crossover SUV. Befitting its Volvo roots, the Five Hundred has garnered class leading results in crash tests conducted by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The Five Hundred is classified as a full-sized passenger car. The Five Hundred was designed to match the large car interior volume, but at the same time still have manageable outside dimensions, while delivering a lower than average fuel use. Its design is also notably tall for a sedan, giving drivers an SUV or minivan-like command of the road. The Five Hundred's trunk is also larger than those of its competitors, so it can hold 8 full-sized loaded golf bags.

It is a car that has lots of support and it is a very Safe, Reliable, Great bang for the buck car that rides comfortable and quite gets pretty great Fuel economy fin it class and can be fixed at any Ford Dealership or any Independent Mechanic/Shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 08:40 AM

28,695 posts, read 18,846,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
For $5000 you should be able to get a retired police cruiser, Crown Victorias are solid vehicles that are easy for older people to get in and out of.
This is a major consideration.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:46 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,744,496 times
Toyotas have a reputation for lasting forever, and i have seen it with my own eyes in both Europe and Africa! For example, a colleague of mine bought a small white Toyota with 140,000 km on it 1996. He scraped it (literally) in 2012 with nearly 300,000 km. All I practically see in the poor countries I work in are very old white Toyotas imported from Japan in the well-used car market.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:18 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,908,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
2014 Consumer Reports for used small cars under $10,000 recommends the Prius (04-07), Scion xB (-04-06) Pontiac Vibe (05-08) and the Toyota Matrix (05-07). They also list the sedans, Hyundai Sonata (07-08) and Acura TSX (04). Best Used Cars | Worst Used Cars - Consumer Reports
The trick is, regardless of what the reviews say, you can't buy a car that isn't for sale, and those at the top of those lists tend to NOT be available.

I've been searching ads for a month: used Toyotas are like gold! I suspect you'd have to camp out at the dealership to get hold of a trade-in Prius.

We are now looking at a Mazda 3, 2007, 73K miles, $7800 (just a bit higher than book value but dad will take care of the negotiating) It has my daughter's preferences of good mpg, cloth seats, ipod jack in the stereo. My favorite feature: a SUNROOF!

This is hard work! I'm exhausted just by combing through the ads.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:22 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,907,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
That's certainly a good choice for grandma.
White with wood vinyl on the sides and a leatther interior go nice with the 'Vette engine.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:36 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,977,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Toyotas have a reputation for lasting forever, and i have seen it with my own eyes in both Europe and Africa! For example, a colleague of mine bought a small white Toyota with 140,000 km on it 1996. He scraped it (literally) in 2012 with nearly 300,000 km. All I practically see in the poor countries I work in are very old white Toyotas imported from Japan in the well-used car market.
True, also you ll see them in Asia and South America.

Proven by decades.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:42 PM

801 posts, read 1,466,228 times
You might also think about a 2006-2008 Ford Fusion or Mercury Milan. Consumer Reports consistently ranked those models as very reliable, and probably can be found in good shape for $5k or thereabouts.

Otherwise, go for pretty much any Honda or Toyota car (Accord, Camry, Civic, or Corolla) from the mid-2000's and you should be good to go, with one caveat that I'm very familiar with...beware any Honda product from that era with an automatic transmission mated to a 6-cyliner engine (which would be mostly top-of-the-line Accords).

Old 08-01-2014, 04:24 PM

738 posts, read 1,001,446 times
I have a few rules when I buy used:

1. One owner
2. Accurate service records that jibe with a Carfax report
3. No major accidents
4. Good physical shape
5. Good online ratings overall

If I can get the vehicle for a screamin' deal, then mileage becomes less important, but I would definitely factor it into the price when compared with what I believe the life expectancy of the vehicle to be.

I've owned many cars in my life but still rank my Toyota at the top.

RVcook

Old 08-13-2014, 11:51 PM

3 posts, read 8,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
Well you'll get all the toyota and honda recommendations from others who respond to this thread, but especially for having only $5000 to spend he's what I would focus on:

1. Condition of the vehicle your looking at --get a mechanic to check it out.
2. Mileage--others will disagree, but why buy a car with a bizillion miles on it.
3. Some cars tend to be less problematic...try and stick with them in your search. Toyotas and Hondas are good cars, but you can find other too.
Thanks so much good advice I really appreciate it all thank you again. j

Old 08-14-2014, 12:21 AM

3 posts, read 8,639 times
LOLOL well right now I'm driving my Piaggio 150 and there are just some days you need a car. Has been great advice so far, only wishing I was in CO so I could relax while I look all this over. I am a young 53 year old granny :-) so still looking for something that is well you know cute. Also maybe a hatch back as I am an artist. Only wish I could find a 1956 chevy station wagon or a woody wagon, or a 1961 VW van. My dream cars. Had a fun MGB but the thing cost a fortune to repair anything. thanks for all the help! Jackie Carpenter Art at JrCarMax Studios - Jackie Carpenter Art at JRCarMax Studios
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive