Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2014, 12:44 PM
C8N C8N started this thread

1,119 posts, read 3,227,784 times

Advertisements

More of a rant I suppose but would appreciate some input on how to proceed on this.

Anytime I have issues with weird noises, the dealer always says they cannot replicate.
For example, prior, I had an issue with some rattling noise from the heat shield which they could not replicate. It took 3 trips to the dealer and 100 miles of me driving around to pin point exactly when the noise occurs. I also had to drive with a tech for them to finally acknowledge the issue and to proceed to correct the problem. In addition, there were also some rattling coming from the overhead handles which they could not replicate either. I ended up tighten up the screws myself. I realize that if they cannot replicate, they will not be able to address the problem. But seriously.... they must have ear plugs or something.

My current problem is that the noise only happens on cold start up after it has been sitting for a while and I have to admit that the noise comes on for a second or two only and it is very low. From my research it led me to believe that it is faulty external transmission fluid. Perhaps my mistake was not sharing this information with the SA... but I didn't want to come off as a internet know it all. I just figured they are the experts and will do what is necessary. Big mistake? Maybe so. Anyways, the car is a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD and Honda/Acura 6-cylinder auto tranny does not have the best of reputation. So I dropped off the car last night and I just called to get an update and as expected they cannot replicate the noise. I don't want this to get worse before it gets addressed. Is my only alternative to change dealer?

Last edited by C8N; 07-31-2014 at 01:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 02:31 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,974,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
More of a rant I suppose but would appreciate some input on how to proceed on this.

Anytime I have issues with weird noises, the dealer always says they cannot replicate.
For example, prior, I had an issue with some rattling noise from the heat shield which they could not replicate. It took 3 trips to the dealer and 100 miles of me driving around to pin point exactly when the noise occurs. I also had to drive with a tech for them to finally acknowledge the issue and to proceed to correct the problem. In addition, there were also some rattling coming from the overhead handles which they could not replicate either. I ended up tighten up the screws myself. I realize that if they cannot replicate, they will not be able to address the problem. But seriously.... they must have ear plugs or something.

My current problem is that the noise only happens on cold start up after it has been sitting for a while and I have to admit that the noise comes on for a second or two only and it is very low. From my research it led me to believe that it is faulty external transmission fluid. Perhaps my mistake was not sharing this information with the SA... but I didn't want to come off as a internet know it all. I just figured they are the experts and will do what is necessary. Big mistake? Maybe so. Anyways, the car is a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD and Honda/Acura 6-cylinder auto tranny does not have the best of reputation. So I dropped off the car last night and I just called to get an update and as expected they cannot replicate the noise. I don't want this to get worse before it gets addressed. Is my only alternative to change dealer?
Leave it alone. Noise are normal at cold start. Especially if a vehicle has been sitting for a few days. All the fluids, are sitting at the bottom. It needs a second to circulate.

We have exact same car in my family. My family members drive the shrimp out of it.
In two years, put on 55k. One set of tires and one battery. About to trade in as soon as the truck they want comes out.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:14 PM

25 posts, read 59,590 times
You should be there with them when they're trying to replicate the noise. Leaving it overnight and assuming they'll know what noise to listen for in the morning is unrealistic.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:28 AM

^ True and on my second visit, I provided them with a recording of the noise.
They said that it was a timing belt tensioner and it was replaced but the noise is still there.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:55 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
What is faulty external transmission fluid?

Old 08-12-2014, 10:06 PM

22,184 posts, read 14,816,733 times
Faulty external transmission fluid is just another way to get money out of you.
They will probably tell you that your front sconnecting rod is bad and your rotating muffler bearing has worn out also!

Stay away from the dealer and find a good repair shop in your area!!

Last edited by bobrainman; 08-12-2014 at 10:21 PM..

Old 08-12-2014, 10:54 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,862,089 times
I could write books about this and I have only bought 2 new cars with warranty. They can never replicate the noise, ever. Once it was a Honda CRV; low transmission fluid factory and noisy shifts on hot days. I just had them add the fluid and document that it was low. Then it was something loose inside the car. I test drove it with the tech and told him exactly what noise we are talking about. Next day they called that they could not replicate it!! Turned out the rear seat was loose and I found it and tightened it.

On a recent Ford Focus all the noises were on cold start. Clutch bearing on the first few shifts and struts making clunky noise for the 1st 20 minutes. Had to leave the car overnight a few times. Each time they could not replicate. Then one day I had to take off from work and go there early morning to tell them what noise I am talking about. They said the clutch would get less noisy after 10K miles (really?!) and they lubed the struts... I got rid of the car after 7 months. Not worth the headache.

I am back to buying used cars for now. At least I know from day one that there is no warranty. Take it to a decent shop, have them fix it once and for good.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:03 AM

Oops... sorry. I meant to say external transmission filter.
And since the car is under warranty.... no cost involved.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:05 AM

90 posts, read 369,339 times
Had a water pump (external) go bad prematurely which is covered by the warranty so I brought it to dealer to be replaced. They told me that my water pump is fine and they are designed to leak fluid. I told them to tell that to the EPA! But I couldn't win. So I bought a water pump and my friend replaced it for me. He showing me how the seals and bearings went bad.

So I brought the water pump back to the dealer just asking to refund the money that I paid for the water pump. They agreed that this water pump was bad, but that I couldn't prove it came out of my car. Never brought the car back to the dealer for anything. Found a nice honest and professional independent mechanic and have been happy ever since.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
I could write books about this and I have only bought 2 new cars with warranty. They can never replicate the noise, ever. Once it was a Honda CRV; low transmission fluid factory and noisy shifts on hot days. I just had them add the fluid and document that it was low. Then it was something loose inside the car. I test drove it with the tech and told him exactly what noise we are talking about. Next day they called that they could not replicate it!! Turned out the rear seat was loose and I found it and tightened it.

On a recent Ford Focus all the noises were on cold start. Clutch bearing on the first few shifts and struts making clunky noise for the 1st 20 minutes. Had to leave the car overnight a few times. Each time they could not replicate. Then one day I had to take off from work and go there early morning to tell them what noise I am talking about. They said the clutch would get less noisy after 10K miles (really?!) and they lubed the struts... I got rid of the car after 7 months. Not worth the headache.

I am back to buying used cars for now. At least I know from day one that there is no warranty. Take it to a decent shop, have them fix it once and for good.
Yeah... this pretty much sums up what I am going thru as well.

As a bit of an update and as mentioned, I took the car in a second time with a recording. They heard it and said it was a timing belt tensioner. Got it replaced but the noise remained. So I email them 2 more recordings made after the tensioner was replaced. I get an email back in a couple of days and they have the nerve to tell me that they found nothing abnormal. I am sitting there thinking it was "abnormal" enough to they replaced a $100 part and now they are saying nothing is "abnormal"? WTF!

So I reply to their email with what I just said but obviously in a more professional manor and I am waiting to hear back from them. At the end of the day I am thinking of buying the part and replace it myself. But more or less... it's the principle. What is the point of the new car warranty then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive