Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 12:36 PM

431 posts, read 599,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
^^ Why we should be able to just order direct from the factory.
So how do you handle financing for people with 550 FICO scores? Test drives? Trade ins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 04:24 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwibble View Post
So how do you handle financing for people with 550 FICO scores? Test drives? Trade ins?
Direct from factory won't work for everyone, but it should be an option.

Having everyone pay a premium for those who need a little extra help isn't capitalism.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:25 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Never understood how charging someone a few points higher interest is going to protect the dealer against losing tens of thousands of dollars if the guy disappears or fails to pay.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:17 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Last two cars I bought were both well below invoice. Last one I just used TrueCar, so that was pretty painless.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:36 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Last two cars I bought were both well below invoice. Last one I just used TrueCar, so that was pretty painless.
Could you actually find a dealer that would sell at the price TrueCar promised?

Old 08-19-2014, 06:45 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,176,333 times
The real cash cow for dealers is the service department and used cars. If they had to survive on new car sales they'd never make it. Invoice, whatever that really is, is almost meaningless. Now if they can squeeze you for more they will but it's not likely a given dealer is making a big profit off you, invoice or not.

I use to work for a company that offered supplier pricing for GM vehicles, usually invoice +3%. I'd go in and get the supplier price and then go in to a different guy and see what I could do and always did better than supplier pricing. It's good info to have but like any other bit of info, another piece of the puzzle.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:26 PM

865 posts, read 2,161,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
The real cash cow for dealers is the service department and used cars. If they had to survive on new car sales they'd never make it. Invoice, whatever that really is, is almost meaningless. Now if they can squeeze you for more they will but it's not likely a given dealer is making a big profit off you, invoice or not.

I use to work for a company that offered supplier pricing for GM vehicles, usually invoice +3%. I'd go in and get the supplier price and then go in to a different guy and see what I could do and always did better than supplier pricing. It's good info to have but like any other bit of info, another piece of the puzzle.

That is what a chain around here does. They'll give you $7000 for your 3 year old car, throw it on the lot at $14000. Way more money than selling a new car.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:21 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,176,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
That is what a chain around here does. They'll give you $7000 for your 3 year old car, throw it on the lot at $14000. Way more money than selling a new car.
And then finance the difference between what you owe and the $7K they gave you by adding it to the loan. Lather rinse repeat. You'll never really "own" a car, but you own a lifetime of payments!

Old 08-20-2014, 07:48 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Never understood how charging someone a few points higher interest is going to protect the dealer against losing tens of thousands of dollars if the guy disappears or fails to pay.
The dealer is paid no matter what. The Bank is the one that loses if the guy stops paying. Its the same as a risk pool in insurance.

Look at it this way; if the bank loans 10K to 100 people with a FICO score of 720 or above, they know that 99 of them are going to pay their loans. The bank charges 3% interest because they knew that if one percent didn't make the first payment, they were still going to make money.

Conversely, if you take a group with a 550 FICO score, the banks know that 15 out of 100 (and I'm making these numbers up for the point of the demonstration) aren't going to pay and the bank will have to repossess the vehicles. To make up for this, the bank might require 20% down, so that at auction they were more likely to break even after repossession, and a much higher interest rate. So, in order to loan money to people with a 550 FICO score, the banks know that they need to charge a higher interest rate to their portfolio of sub prime borrowers.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:12 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
If you are going to finance a new car, you should put 50% down and take a 2-year loan max. If you can't do that, then you can't really afford that car. Better yet, save the money and buy the car all-cash, 2 years old, and lightly used. The market price for a new car is murky. True prices are not generally reported in any centralized location where the data can be analyzed. The used car market is more transparent and easier to understand. A well taken care of 2 year old car with 20K miles on it is functionally new anyway, and the initial depreciation is paid for by someone else. You also have better reliability data publicly available for a 2-3 year old model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive