Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 08:45 PM

15 posts, read 18,153 times

Advertisements

I'm not a car guy so looking for honest opinion from people that know cars well.
I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt SS. The transmission recently went out, was completely unexpected as it was running fine. It has about 90000 miles on it. The warranty only covered up to 80000. Is it worth getting a new/used transmission put in? I was looking around briefly and it seemed I could get a used put in for about 2400-2800. Should I do this or would it be better to get a used car around 10000 and make monthly payments. I am currently in college so the funds are limited. The Colbalt also still has a few more payments to be made on it.. I appreciate any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 09:15 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
We have a 98 Explorer in the shop right now waiting for a rebuilt transmission to arrive. It costs a lot less than what you have indicated. Since the rest of the car is fine it was worth it. THe question is what would you do with the car if you don't fix it. It is a 2006. A $10,000 used car will have a fate no better than what you have now. It may go at any time.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:44 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times
I'd imagine there are a lot of Cobalt SS's totaled by young drivers, so sourcing a used transmission from a car that ended its life prematurely should not be difficult.

The SS was one of the few good cars GM produced from that platform, so whether it's worth saving depends on the overall condition. If the car is in otherwise good shape and hasn't been wrecked, might as well pony up for the new tranny.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:47 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
You're looking at $1500 for a rebuilt transmission. Then probably about $700 in labor to remove the old and install the new. Plus $120 for the torque converter, which.. Might as well replace. Then another $150 or so for the incidentals.. New Fluid, filters, etc. So.. That's about $2500.. Ballpark.

I am not a fan of a used transmission. There are some people on here who are.. My thought process is that a used tranny is fine if you're putting it in yourself.. Otherwise.. Have yours rebuilt or buy a rebuilt one and have it put in.

You have no clue the condition of a used transmission. At least with a rebuilt, you're getting a 50k mile warranty or so on it. Autozone has one that is 3yr/75k.. Cottman gives a 3 year/50k warranty when they rebuild yours. Probably looking right at $3k to have yours rebuilt.. But.. If you have a reputable shop rebuild it.. Any problems with it, they handle. You have a rebuild put in, that shop is only going to put it in.. Something happens in the warranty period, you're paying the labor to pull it and put another new one in.

The economical side doesn't really factor here, to me at least.. Do you like the car? Are there any other problems that you know of? If you do, and there aren't.. Fix it. I just spent $3000 on a transmission rebuilt on my Colorado with 170k miles on it.. Why? I like the truck, and you can't get a light truck anymore. Yeah, there's the Tacoma, but that's it. Even the new Colorado coming out doesn't look like a light truck. So.. Until the wheels fall off (figuratively).. I'm doing what I can to keep it.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:24 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times
I'll second what Labonte18 said... Makes sense to me...

And I agree the new Colorado looks more like a medium sized truck, not a "light truck"... Not for me, but I know a lot of people that like small/light trucks.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:38 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
When it comes down to replacing a trans.....question I have as a former mechanic (now retired) what did they actually do to make it a REBUILT.

My late dad was a domestic mechanic/business owner that had rebuilt many GM trannys of the early yrs.

His own Cad with low miles under 20k broke down on the Fwy and he had it towed to some shop.

He was in a convelesent seniors home and would have liked to do his own repair.

Anyway, They said it needed a rebuilt done for about $800 (those days back then).

Dad told them of his background (experience) and said to just replace the rear pump and NO warranty was needed.

They did as my dad requested the car shifted real nice when I drove it.

Now I am 83 and just recently pulled my own VW engine to repair a piston ring problem.

I know, you will think I'm crazy but I do diligence when working so as not to hurt myself....besides I hate anyone to work on my car.....besides keeping the cob webs away.

Now we are talking newer trannys so the above situation may not apply but still.....I wonder what work was done as a rebuilt.

Last edited by Steve Bagu; 08-27-2014 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-28-2014, 05:53 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
I always recommend used. I've been selling used parts over ten years and have never had to warranty an engine or transmission.

OP I can find you a reliable low mileage unit in your area if I knew where you were.

Search ThreeWolvesInSnow for her thread on a used engine. She got it in the spring and is still driving along.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:13 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,972,956 times
Used tranny roughly 700. Find a small shop to install. 500. New filter and fluid 100.

1300 bucks. Ok give it 1500 bucks.

I will pick a used tranny over a rebuilt any day. It is a risk, but if you can find a tranny that's still on the car. You can see the mileage.

The problem with rebuilt is, who rebuilt it? And what did they do to it?

Old 08-28-2014, 06:19 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
You're looking at $1500 for a rebuilt transmission. Then probably about $700 in labor to remove the old and install the new. Plus $120 for the torque converter, which.. Might as well replace.
That's why I'm glad I can fix stuff myself, transmission is $100 at the junk yard if you pull it yourself. You just need to find a low mile vehicle.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:55 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Pulling transmission at a junk yard? It sounds a lot of fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive