Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 09:33 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,974,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
This may sound crazy but hear me out.

I'm looking to buy a used Volvo (over 100k miles). It's been noted that certain models have transmission problems. If I buy from a private owner who bought the vehicle new, I will ask them about the transmission.

If they say that they haven't had to replace the transmission, should I pass on the car, knowing that it's going to blow sooner or later? Would it be better to buy a car that already has a rebuilt transmission?
I see your future. Charlygal, every one at the local Swedish auto shop will know your name. Your mechanic, i believe his name is Luigi.. Will be the kindest mechanic to come into your life. He will fix everything little thing that comes up.

As for your transmission, one day it will go out of commission at the weirdest time and place, but i am confident Luigi can take care of it.

Yours truly Palm reader

Chris v

Hey leave 20 bucks donation as you leave. . Fortune teller isn't free.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 06:05 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
I see your future. Charlygal, every one at the local Swedish auto shop will know your name. Your mechanic, i believe his name is Luigi.. Will be the kindest mechanic to come into your life. He will fix everything little thing that comes up.

As for your transmission, one day it will go out of commission at the weirdest time and place, but i am confident Luigi can take care of it.

Yours truly Palm reader

Chris v

Hey leave 20 bucks donation as you leave. . Fortune teller isn't free.

Hey, just doing my due diligence on a known issue.

Don't want to buy a car and a month later have to kick out $5k for a new transmission.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:43 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
Personally I avoid Volvo's because of this and the quirky maintenance issues that pop up.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:15 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
year and model would help..........

Old 09-08-2014, 09:13 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,151,970 times
Since I've been participating in the OPs other thread related to this, I knew exactly what she was referring to when I saw the thread title.

Just so you know, I have read stories of folks replacing the transmission 2, 3 times in their T6 XC90. Also, I currently have a 2007 V8 that my wife drives. We have 60k easy miles on it and at this point it's an easy $1k every time I take it in for service.

Last October it was $1k for a new starter. It hadn't failed yet but it was cranking over very slow and the dealer recommended replacement so I had it done. I just got the car back from having the 60k service performed. The bill was $1500 for control arm bushings, a motor mount and a few other small items. I asked for some assistance on the bill since my car has always been dealer serviced so they knocked 20% off the bill. I was pleased with that.

I'm not trying to scare you away, I love our XC and can't picture my family in anything else. It is one of the safest cars on the road and I brought my twins home from the hospital in it. But the maintenance and repair bills are not for the faint of heart. If you do decide to move forward on a purchase, I would buy one with the best documented service history.

I could certainly have it serviced/repaired cheaper (but not much cheaper) by a Volvo indie shop in my area but while I like them, I like my Volvo dealer better.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:55 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
My 2006 Mazda 3 gave me some signs prior to failure. It was an auto and it would always shift hard into 3rd. Sure enough eventually 3rd gear gave way.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:16 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
OP, not sure why you would gravitate towards a model with known transmission issues? There are a lot of other cars out there that to my eye anyway are as appealing to my eye as the XC (specifically, Subarus) that don't have this problem.

If you can drive a manual, they almost never give problems as long as you keep the lube level topped up (if it leaks at all). Just sayin'.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:59 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
OP, not sure why you would gravitate towards a model with known transmission issues? There are a lot of other cars out there that to my eye anyway are as appealing to my eye as the XC (specifically, Subarus) that don't have this problem.

If you can drive a manual, they almost never give problems as long as you keep the lube level topped up (if it leaks at all). Just sayin'.
I like the Volvos but it's not set in stone yet.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:11 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:

I'm looking to buy a used Volvo (over 100k miles). It's been noted that certain models have transmission problems. If I buy from a private owner who bought the vehicle new, I will ask them about the transmission.

If they say that they haven't had to replace the transmission, should I pass on the car, knowing that it's going to blow sooner or later? Would it be better to buy a car that already has a rebuilt transmission?

A vehicle with over 100k miles on the odometer should have had its trans fluid (and filter) changed at least 3 times so far. If that has not been done, no matter what make of vehicle is under discussion, I think that you would have to be crazy to buy it, as trans failure is in its future--very likely its near future.

When trans fluid is changed every 3 yrs/30k miles, you can typically expect to get...perhaps...200k miles from the transmission. When the trans is not maintained on this schedule, failure can take place any time after 90k miles, and by 120k miles trans failure is a sure thing for most vehicles.

Speaking as a former Volvo owner, I can tell you that these cars are not reliable after they rack up 40k miles or so, and their maintenance and repairs can easily run $1,500 per year--even if you don't have to overhaul the transmission. If you throw a 100k mile unmaintained transmission into the mix, you are describing a true money pit.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:16 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,210,139 times
Quote:
Is there anyway to see upcoming transmission failure before it happens?

Will it show on the OBDII codes?

Can a mechanic tell that it's going bad by a visual inspection?
A transmission temperature gauge is a good thing to have if you are worried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive