Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 09:18 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times

Advertisements

Yep, depends on what you look at a car as: basic transport or a something to be enjoyed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 09:29 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foques View Post
Robrobrob, in your example it kind of makes sense, tbh.

I own both (actually, all toyota SUVs - Rav4, 4runner and Highlander), and 4r is a workhorse, whereas Highlander feels as a luxury vehicle.
We leased a Highlander because it felt like a luxury vehicle and because it was a much better deal We think about the 4Runner whenever we see one of the road but we know we made the right choice.

I might have been different if we were looking a 4Runner Limited but we were only looking at a SR5 Premium.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:52 AM

522 posts, read 721,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
We leased a Highlander because it felt like a luxury vehicle and because it was a much better deal We think about the 4Runner whenever we see one of the road but we know we made the right choice.

I might have been different if we were looking a 4Runner Limited but we were only looking at a SR5 Premium.
highlander is a fantastic car; i'm sure you'll love it!
And you're absolutely right, Highlanders are more of a luxury model than any 4runner (even LTD)- they're even based on a different chasis; one for the comfort.

After owning an SR5 4R, to me, the best model is a Trail. you can have most of the bells and whistles of Limited on in, but way less things to rip off during sharp angular approach or during a snow drift crossing. the front air dams are quite fragile in SR5 and LTD models.
Besides, 4R is expected to have a new redesign in a year or so (another reason why Highlander was a smart idea)

Old 09-25-2014, 11:05 AM

310 posts, read 686,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
No, that's where YOU want to get to. Quit trying to run MY life. I like cars, I like a lot of cars and have owned over 130 in the last 37 years.
Please realize that you are the exception. No one is trying to ruin your hobby, and this thread isn't applicable to you.

This thread is filled with people who can't afford a down-payment and can't afford the higher rates of financing. The only reason the overwhelming majority of people lease a vehicle is because they are too financially inept to accumulate any amount of money in savings so they can actually make better financial choices.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:11 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarelyRelocating View Post
Please realize that you are the exception. No one is trying to ruin your hobby, and this thread isn't applicable to you.

This thread is filled with people who can't afford a down-payment and can't afford the higher rates of financing. The only reason the overwhelming majority of people lease a vehicle is because they are too financially inept to accumulate any amount of money in savings so they can actually make better financial choices.

Do you have proof of that assertion (i.e real numbers) or are you just talking out your ass in order to insult people who do things differently than you do?

Old 09-25-2014, 12:30 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
Some people like to buy older cars and others like to lease new cars. Everyone is different.

We have 3 cars, one bought new, one bought used and one leased. The new purchase was smart since we have over 100,000 miles on it and no plans to trade it in any time soon. The lease was smart since we are running it through a business. The used purchase is the one that is a little iffy. We could have bought a new Pilot but we splurged and got a RX. Kind of nice to have an RX but it would also be nice to have a car with half the miles. Probably the right call since a new Pilot would have been about 4-5000 more.

Not everyone wants to drive a car with 100,000 miles. My wife sort of laughs at our older car but it runs with only a few issues none of which are a big deal.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:58 AM

310 posts, read 686,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Do you have proof of that assertion (i.e real numbers) or are you just talking out your ass in order to insult people who do things differently than you do?
I have reality on my side, what do you have?

People who are financially secure (i.e. those who are not inept) have the ability to either pay cash for a slightly used car to receive a deep discount, or they have enough cash to make a sizable downpayment and finance the rest at a low rate. Then they keep the car for 2-3 years, sell it, and repeat the process.

Financially secure people do not throw money out the window by engaging in a long term car rental because it makes ZERO financial sense to do so for a private party. The only exception rich people can claim is that they want latest tech but don't want to risk being left with a car that depreciated much faster than originally anticipated (if you were to lease a Tesla for example, there just isn't enough data yet to know what a 2-4 year old Tesla will actually be worth).

Old 09-26-2014, 04:37 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
OK, OK, OK...

Let's not turn this into an argument of which is better; like the Canon versus Nikon or Windows versus Mac!

In America we like social classes a lot, and make no effort to curb that, so while to some people it might come easier to lease, to others who come from more of a well/off background it might seem like a bad idea!

We never had car payments not because we're rich, but because we just happened to have a couple of opportunities to buy our cars outright. Would I buy another brand new car? NO. That is regardless of being well off or not. My reason for not wanting to do that is simply because of the equity loss on most vehicles. It's a common sense issue more so than a wallet issue.

Thank you to those who replied on point; very helpful information, and for me it is great to know that there is a mileage limit because I drive upwards of 20,000 miles a year...so, for me that might be a problem. Kids wear and tear, well that's 50/50 because they have some awesome seat covers nowadays so we will take care of that. My car now doesn't look 10 years old, my seats are not damaged or anything of that sort.

In regards to buying a vehicle using financing, the problem is not with qualifying for financing, the problem is with the INTEREST! If we finance, then that means we'd be paying double for it when you add in interest. I usually don't like loans because of the interest, not because we can't pay for it. I am just not willing to pay double for things.

Now, let's stop arguing, and if you have anymore first hand dealer experience, please share. I made my decision and we're going to go with a Chevy Tahoe. I saw one yesterday, and it fits the bill on every aspect.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:15 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarelyRelocating View Post
The only reason the overwhelming majority of people lease a vehicle is because they are too financially inept to accumulate any amount of money in savings so they can actually make better financial choices.
How about another reason? They want to enjoy life NOW, not wait 7 years. Nobody on his death bed is going to say I wish I had bought and not leased.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:35 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
OK, OK, OK...

Let's not turn this into an argument of which is better; like the Canon versus Nikon or Windows versus Mac!
Nikon all the way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive