Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 03:57 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarelyRelocating View Post
Finally someone with some sense. Geez, 2 miles, you can make that into a leisurely walk. No need to buy a car.
A 2-mile walk can take more than 30 minutes. I used to walk home from high school, slightly less than 2 miles, and it would normally take me exactly 30 minutes to get home. 2 miles might seem like a very short distance when you're driving, but when you're walking it's a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 04:06 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
A 2-mile walk can take more than 30 minutes. I used to walk home from high school, slightly less than 2 miles, and it would normally take me exactly 30 minutes to get home. 2 miles might seem like a very short distance when you're driving, but when you're walking it's a different story.
It all depends on how you walk.
Today, I walked 2.2 miles in 18 minutes, and I am 66 years old. Normally, it might take me 20 minutes or so to cover that distance, but today I stepped-up my pace a bit.
However, I have observed a lot of high school-aged people who walk slower than somebody heading to the electric chair.
It all depends on how you walk.

That being said, the forum members who think that walking (or biking) two miles in Northern Illinois in the winter is an easy task are just not thinking about this issue realistically.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:02 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Have you considered getting a NEW scooter? They have excellent gas mileage and will be good for a short commute.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:22 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Honda and Toyota are good cars, but will be at a premium on the used market. The 3800 engine is a good engine, and can be found in the Pontiac Bonneville and the Buick LeSabre/Park Avenue. You do not want the supercharged 3800, just the normally aspirated model. I would tend to look for the Buicks first, owing to the demographic of a typical Buick owner, i.e., older, and a person with the means to make sure the vehicle is kept in top condition. If you can find a one-owner that is being sold by an older person, that would make a great used car to consider. Multiple owners, and I would hesitate a bit, and would keep looking for a better example.

One thing to consider with the 3800 engine was the intake manifold gaskets that had issues for a few years in the 90s-mid2000s. If they have been replaced, the replacement should be good to go, but not replaced, the aged rubber gasket may need attention. Other than that, the powertrain is solid, and Buicks are generally reliable, so while it may be a large, cushy cruiser that does not handle like a sports car, it does represent a good value in a used car.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-23-2014, 06:02 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Another way to look at miles cars is, every thing has been replace!

Old 09-23-2014, 07:22 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,815,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
If the OP lived in an area with reasonable winter temperatures, I would agree with both of the above posts.
However, his/her location--in northern Illinois--is not one where it would be possible to bike (or possibly even to walk) in comfort and safety for several months during the winter.

I didn't catch his location since it wasn't listed on the upper right. I do agree with not biking in the winter, although I do see people do it here with studded bike tires. Here in the Boston suburbs it's the same deal. I biked half the year and drove the other half. Although I suppose it's possible for him to bike half the year and walk the other half. I usually walk 2 miles a day in Boston even when it's snowing and 10 degrees out. But we have good snow shoveling and plowing here. Not sure about IL.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:23 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
On your budget, don't bother with a Honda or Toyota. What you can get is going to be trashed beyond recognition. I would recommend using your money as a down payment and financing something new. Otherwise, see if you can find a Ford Crown Vic.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:25 PM

680 posts, read 1,034,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
Honestly, your budget will have you scraping the bottom of the barrel. For a 2.5 mile commute I'd get a bike (pedal) and save at least $10k for a reasonable car. Zipcar for the weekends...
Not a bad idea. A motor scooter would be a good choice as well.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:04 AM

310 posts, read 686,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
However, his/her location--in northern Illinois--is not one where it would be possible to bike (or possibly even to walk) in comfort and safety for several months during the winter.

I agree that biking during the winter months isn't a good option in many cases. Walking on the other hand should be a non-issue.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:14 AM

9 posts, read 8,531 times
Thank you all for your suggestions and response, couldn't mention all your posts in a quote but rated + to show my appreciation, it's been a long time that I haven't been using forums so I was expecting this much response and help.

I would like to mention that I've been riding a bike since April and the wind here in West Chicago, IL is really bad when it's combined with cold. Haven't faced with this area's winter yet-but I watched the news last year which was the worst winter all time in history- and I know I will have really hard times if I keep riding a bike or walking. I've been told that they don't even clean sidewalks when it's snowing so basically there will be a survival if I intend to walk

The other side of the story is, I'm 28 and never had a car, all my life I've struggled with buses and other public transportation options. I could use public transportation if there could be exist between my home and office. Sometimes it's frustrating to do grocery shop with my bike and backpack, try not to drop all the foods on the ground before getting home I just need a little comfort in my life because I'm tired a bit.

I can pay 500 to 1000 for maintenance per year I suppose. I just don't want to be cheated and pay the car price again just to fix. I've so far saved over $1200 while working on 8 Dollars an hour and I just don't want to end up disappointed after all this struggle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive