Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 07:39 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,815,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I agree I have never checked oil on any of my older cars with the engine running.

On my BMW, it won't tell me the engine oil level UNLESS it is running.
Same with my wife's car. The car has to be running for several minutes before the oil gauge will get a reading on her screen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 07:47 AM

2,715 posts, read 11,910,302 times
My friend's daughter 91 Saturn has a fuel pressure gauge--I wonder how accurate it is.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:42 AM

2,715 posts, read 11,910,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
My friend's daughter 91 Saturn has a fuel pressure gauge--I wonder how accurate it is.
I found one for sale on eBay 91 92 Saturn s Series Instrument Cluster Speedometer Odometer Gauges 72K | eBay

This car is now in the junkyard. My mom bought it for my sister. We told her it was an oil burner (most Saturns of that era were) and she had to check & add oil periodically. She never did and blew the motor. Otherwise it was a fine car, but not for a dingbat who refuses to check oil.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:47 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
How many times have you been surprised at how low your oil is?
Ummmm...never.
Generally speaking, the only folks who wind up "surprised" are those who don't check the dipstick often enough.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:51 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,815,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
We told her it was an oil burner (most Saturns of that era were) and she had to check & add oil periodically. She never did and blew the motor. Otherwise it was a fine car, but not for a dingbat who refuses to check oil.
I wouldn't call someone who doesn't check the oil a dingbat. She probably grew up in a different era. Every car used to burn oil back in the day, but newer cars generally don't. Millennials in particular don't even know how to open the hood of their car. They don't really have interest in doing that and generally don't need to as long as they take it in for regular maintenance.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:26 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
It would be a little tricky to engineer a gauge that works as a fuel gauge. I know some high end cars do do this, but some also register oil life simply based on time the engine has run. Many cars do have a low oil level sensor that sends a signal if the oil level drops below a certain level. These tend to function only when the engine runs as a "worst case scenario" since when the engine runs, the oil pump sends a lot of the oil up into the main engine area.

As a standard though, the oil capacity of an engine, is designed to be measured when the engine is off and has been sitting for a while. This allows the engine oil to drain back into the pan. If you measure the engine when warm, some of the oil may still be in the top half of the engine and hasn't drained back into the pan. SO if a car's spec is 5 qt, then you want to measure this cold and determind if 5 qt is in the pan.

Anyway, checking the dipstick on a cold engine is still a very effective way to measure oil level and condition.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:44 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,925 times
To piggy back off Mike's comments, I did use the "check oil level" light on my 87 Mustang quite often, especially as it got into the high 2XX,XXX miles and burned a quart of oil every 700 miles or so. Always carried an extra quart in the back seat! I know the oil pan sensor turned on the light when the oil level in the pan was 1 quart low. I do think all cars should have this feature, but I guess they think that people won't keep cars long enough for them to start using oil or leaking a lot of oil or something.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:06 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
You could have adequate oil pressure even when you are 2 quarts down. I agree that oil level should be measured at rest with engine off. This reminds me of the same issues motorcycles have with gas gauge. Many don't have one.
I believe some cooling of the oil happens in the oil pan. When the oil is low it gets hotter. Although you may still have full oil pressure when 2 quarts low, the hotter oil is not doing it's job as well.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:09 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
The reason why your car does not have an oil level gage is because the oil level in the oil pan is changing constantly when the motor is running. A gage could not just check the level on both the pan or reservoir and also in the oil passages throughout the motor When the motor is running there only is enough oil in the pan for the oil pump to work.

The only time that an oil-level gage would be accurate is a few minutes after the motor has stopped running and the oil has returned to the oil pan. Therefore it makes no sense for an automobile manufacturer to add an oil-level gage. Now an oil pressure gage does work as far as telling how much oil pressure there is, but it can't tell you how much oil is left in the motor. The oil idiot light is not a bad idea, since at least it would let you know that you need to stop the car and add engine oil. But I would not rely on a light instead of checking the oil level at least once per week.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:15 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The reason why your car does not have an oil level gage is because the oil level in the oil pan is changing constantly when the motor is running. A gage could not just check the level on both the pan or reservoir and also in the oil passages throughout the motor When the motor is running there only is enough oil in the pan for the oil pump to work.

The only time that an oil-level gage would be accurate is a few minutes after the motor has stopped running and the oil has returned to the oil pan. Therefore it makes no sense for an automobile manufacturer to add an oil-level gage.
Uh, no. Did you just skip over the posts from people saying they have cars that have an oil level gauge that measures the level while the engine is running???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive