Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 12:28 PM

49 posts, read 73,397 times

Advertisements

Hey I have a $7-12k spending limit for my first car. I want something sporty and reliable. I want a compact sedan something a little smaller (not too small) and something I can handle I was looking at a 2010 Mazda 3.

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 01:05 PM

148 posts, read 523,818 times
Mazda 3 is probably your best bet. It's what I call a little gem, best bang for the buck. You would probably end up with a better package and lower mileage sample when compared to Toyota/Honda.

I would check on insurance quotes... As unfortunately it maybe a deal breaker. You may want to consider having a $3,000 beater mechanically inspected and running it for a couple of years.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:37 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,769,221 times
Yep, get a beater first. Pay cash, don't finance. Then learn all you can about auto care and do your own work. Invest the rest.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:04 PM

49 posts, read 73,397 times
My dad is paying cash for a good car that won't break down on me, guys. All I have to do is pay for gas and insurance

Old 10-20-2014, 03:07 PM

148 posts, read 523,818 times
If I was giving the option, I would rather have the cash difference (if it's an option). The Mazda is an good option, really just check on insurance quotes. For example an Honda Civic Si would cost me more to insure then an V6 Mustang.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:59 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Yep, get a beater first. Pay cash, don't finance. Then learn all you can about auto care and do your own work. Invest the rest.
Exactly

Old 10-20-2014, 04:46 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,410,260 times
I was looking at the Mazda 3 as well. That was until I drove the SVT Ford Focus, which blew the Mazda out of the water. Ive now owned it for over 5 trouble-free years, and it has 162K miles. I cant tell you how much better the Focus was over the 3. Granted its tuned by Ford/SVT to be a performer, but its still a better car if you ask me. You can snatch a low-mile example for super cheap. Mine is a 2003 with options that you still dont see on many cars today (theyre slowly but surely getting there)... 6 speed manual, 17" wheels, stainless steel exhaust, 4-2-1 header, 6 disc changer, leather/cloth seats with matching door inserts, electroluminescent gauges, 8" subwoofer, a/c, cruise, power locks and windows, c/c, etc. I thought it was a steal, way more so than the Mazda. It had more options for cheaper (comparative year and used), and it has a better chassis, along with better power. And when I drive it slow, I can still get well over 30 mpgs around town. The SVT isnt a sedan, but there are 5-door versions of it, and the hatchback versatility is nice, like the 3's hatchback.

With allllllllllll that being said, I would definitely take the 3 over any Honda or Toyota in the segment. By a long shot!

Old 10-20-2014, 09:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezygotdoe View Post
Hey I have a $7-12k spending limit for my first car. I want something sporty and reliable. I want a compact sedan something a little smaller (not too small) and something I can handle I was looking at a 2010 Mazda 3.

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Before I finished reading your second sentence I was thinking "Mazda3."

Old 10-22-2014, 10:28 AM

125 posts, read 213,136 times
Don't want to be a naysayer (have owned several Mazdas, including a 3, and loved them) but they carry a higher resale than I imagined. In my area I'm not seeing very many for this price range that have lower mileage (more an indicator of future reliability for you right now).

As you shop, realize that most cars are engineered for 150,000 miles or so, and many go much longer than that, but as you pass 75,000 miles it will take more maintenance and wear-item replacement to keep that reliability, as well as the increase in the possibility that one of the previous owners did no maintenance at all, which CarFax can't tell you.

Do a search on your site of choice (like Autotrader) and put in the price range (7-12k), type (not a truck or SUV) and maximum mileage, (say 60,000). I found a lot of options out there, including some that were under 20 or even 10 thousand miles, being almost new. Also, do NOT fall in love with the first thing you test drive, as tempting as it will be to do so. Use the search to get a list of the top 5 or so and try several cars. I once test drove a Camry with low miles that felt like it was ready to fall apart at any moment, not typical for that model, so you want to make sure if you choose a Mazda 3 that you drive a couple, and pick the best one.

Last edited by Wyllyam; 10-22-2014 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: comma fail

Old 10-22-2014, 10:55 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
ok the first thing you want to do is make a list of all the cars that interest you, regardless of who makes the car.

next you want to pare down that list to a few cars that would be your top selections.

once you have done that, take that list to your insurance agent and figure out which one would be the best car for you with the lowest insurance rates.

once you have gotten insurance quotes for the few top cars on your list, then go out and test drive each of those cars to figure out which one feels best to you, remember you are going to be driving this car for a few years you may as well be comfortable with, and in, the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive