Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 02:20 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I don't necessarily disagree, but I do suspect those who believe a dismantling of franchise laws will bring about a fundamentally transformed and vastly more pleasant buying experience across the industry will find themselves disappointed if/when that day comes.
There's a difference between dismantling franchise laws and letting factory stores compete. We already have factory outlets for clothes that compete with traditional retailers, we have Apple stores competing with online retailers. Why can't we simply let Tesla sell their cars their way and let the consumer decide? Oh, right, Because it migh mean that the old ways are outdated and unsustainable.

So far Tesla stores are doing a great job of creating customer satisfaction. It'll only make traditional dealers better and weed out the crap ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 02:20 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,567,322 times
Quote:
Of course there's motivation to "play those games." You don't think they're going to try to latch on an extended warranty? You don't think Ford is going to try to steer you toward Ford Credit, BMW isn't going to try to steer you toward BMW Financial Services, etc.? You think it's just coincidence that nearly every manufacturer has its own captive finance division? GM is about the only one that doesn't, and that's only because they were forced to divest GMAC/Ally when their ship was sinking.

Ditching franchise laws may or may not bring consumer savings and other benefits, but I don't understand why people think the actual buying experience would be fundamentally different.
I regret not being clear.

I believe there's little motivation on the part of Tesla to play those games. At this point the big carrot for financing through Tesla is the Buyback Guarantee, but even that is not exclusive. If you finance through Wells Fargo or US Bank you get full access to the buyback program. So yes, if your intent is to win all the internet points, you're right, there is something in it for Tesla but nothing close to the beating you'll take from a traditional dealership.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:54 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
My intent is not to "win internet points," whatever that means. My intent is to disabuse people of the fantasy that the buying experience will be vastly better at a corporate-owned dealership versus a franchise-owned dealership if franchise laws are repealed.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
My intent is not to "win internet points," whatever that means. My intent is to disabuse people of the fantasy that the buying experience will be vastly better at a corporate-owned dealership versus a franchise-owned dealership if franchise laws are repealed.
Well, the only examples we have to go on are traditional dealerships, and the Apple Store and the Tesla stores. So far, the experience at the Apple and Tesla stores have been a hit with consumers, and been much better than the traditional methods. So, in that regard, it's not a notion that should be immediately disavowed.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:05 PM

451 posts, read 562,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Don't get why Tesla doesn't have local dealers and play by the rules already established.

If you buy a Tesla, you need to take it to a Tesla shop to get it serviced. Just add a few desks and a couple sales guys to sell the damn things. You add more jobs to the community, it's a win win. Plus, I guarantee you will sell more cars if you have a real dealership, instead of selling them out of a shopping mall.
That's loser talk. Innovation is found upon thinking outside the box and it is the archaic, non innovative, way of conducting business that helped put the Big 3 in such trouble they have been in recently.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Well, the only examples we have to go on are traditional dealerships, and the Apple Store and the Tesla stores. So far, the experience at the Apple and Tesla stores have been a hit with consumers, and been much better than the traditional methods. So, in that regard, it's not a notion that should be immediately disavowed.
What is fundamentally different about buying an Apple product at an Apple store versus Best Buy? What is fundamentally different about buying a Tesla from a Tesla-owned store versus an independent Tesla franchise -- or do the latter even exist anywhere?

Old 10-22-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
What is fundamentally different about buying an Apple product at an Apple store versus Best Buy? What is fundamentally different about buying a Tesla from a Tesla-owned store versus an independent Tesla franchise -- or do the latter even exist anywhere?
The latter do not exist. If they did, we wouldn't be having this conversation. The comparison is the factory store that exists from Tesla vs any existing auto dealership. Elon wants to be in control of how his car is marketed, delivered and serviced, and not merely suggest it to someone who can ruin his reputation like many local dealers have done for the manufacturers they represent.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:13 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
The upsell and financing are not baked in the cake in the direct sales model. There's really little motivation to play those games. You yourself said the money is in service.
Un-clicking a few boxes is so much nicer and easier than spending 20 minutes with some toupee'd slob in a plaid suit.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:55 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
MI is a right-to-work state now. Of course that could always revert within one election cycle.
Anything "could" happen, but its not too likely.

Most of the general public, even liberals, don't really care for the unions in the current era.

Further, after several years of right to work, forcing non-union employees back into the unions would cause a backlash that many employers just wouldn't care for as it would create distraction in the workplace. Right-to-work merely allows unions and employers to negotiate contracts that require employees to pay dues, it doesn't require the parties to negotiate that kind of contract.

I just don't see the legislature being very quick to stir up the pot that the repeal of right-to-work would cause.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:53 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,399,192 times
"Most of the general public, even liberals, don't really care for the unions in the current era.

Further, after several years of right to work, forcing non-union employees back into the unions would cause a backlash that many employers just wouldn't care for as it would create distraction in the workplace. Right-to-work merely allows unions and employers to negotiate contracts that require employees to pay dues, it doesn't require the parties to negotiate that kind of contract."

Do you know 'most' of the general population of Mich? This screed belongs somewhere else. Check out a little more about right to work before spouting off, please. Few dealerships that i am aware of were unionized. The real thrust of 'right to work' is an attempt to defund unions by allowing workers to benefit from a negotiated contract and not pay dues. IMO this was especially aimed the MEA and public employee unions. I also am interested in the tesla technology and mrktg. If the range and cold weather performance became workable and affordable, I'm in,too. Hmm, I probably will need the enhanced floor mat package.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla