Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 02:41 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times

Advertisements

Another example on how Republicans aren't anymore free market than Democrats and in many ways they are even more restrictive. Whatever happened to supporting free markets?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 02:43 PM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Another example on how Republicans aren't anymore free market than Democrats and in many ways they are even more restrictive. Whatever happened to supporting free markets?!
They just talk like they are, most are indistinguishable from their dem counterparts. After all, america didnt get so fubared from the actions of one party.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:49 PM

679 posts, read 614,952 times
Yeah I'm not really sure what the cons are to allowing Tesla to use its direct sales approach instead of the Dealership only method that will be set up with them passing Proposal PRN 2013-138 which in essence would keep Tesla from acquiring the licenses they need.

Anyone have any insight into what the big problem is?

Old 03-11-2014, 02:52 PM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
On the other hand, since tesla owes its very survival to politicians that hand it taxpayer money, they in turn must dance to their whims.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:55 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
north carolina's republicans were about to do the same thing.

yeah. real "Free marketeers" here.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:56 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
Yeah I'm not really sure what the cons are to allowing Tesla to use its direct sales approach instead of the Dealership only method that will be set up with them passing Proposal PRN 2013-138 which in essence would keep Tesla from acquiring the licenses they need.

Anyone have any insight into what the big problem is?
in NC it was lobbying from the car dealers association.

i'm not sure about new jersey

Old 03-11-2014, 02:59 PM

679 posts, read 614,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
in NC it was lobbying from the car dealers association.

i'm not sure about new jersey
Sure, and I would be completely surprised if it were different in NJ, but I want to know more about what problems a direct sale approach causes (other than dealers don't like it).

Now of course if there aren't any legitimate problems then I'll be able to draw a decent conclusion as to what I think on this. As of right now I'm abstaining until more info is apparent.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:10 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Sure, and I would be completely surprised if it were different in NJ, but I want to know more about what problems a direct sale approach causes (other than dealers don't like it).

Now of course if there aren't any legitimate problems then I'll be able to draw a decent conclusion as to what I think on this. As of right now I'm abstaining until more info is apparent.
I'm pretty sure that is the issue. Plus, unless I'm mistaken, most states have franchising laws that prohibit dealer to consumer sales and those laws would need to be repealed in order for Tesla to cut out the middle man (or a special exemption would need to be crafted for Tesla).

Old 03-11-2014, 03:12 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,861,248 times
Quote:

Well......given that dealerships are huge businesses these days, it's all about protecting their turf.

I live in NC, and Rick Hendrick's dealership network is a multi-billion dollar business. The word I get from friends of mine within his group is that they worry about the Big3, as well as other manufacturers, using this same go-to-market strategy as Tesla and cutting them out. Apparently, there is legislation on the books in some states covering this already, and has been on the books for years.

It's the same in NJ, and I'm sure Christie received some rather healthy campaign contributions from dealership networks over the years.

I can understand Tesla doing it, because they had such a limited offering initially. But for GM or Toyota to try a direct-to-consumer approach just doesn't make much sense to me.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:12 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
On the other hand, since tesla owes its very survival to politicians that hand it taxpayer money, they in turn must dance to their whims.
Tesla has repaid every last dime of its government loan - don't you guys read newspapers?

‘Loser’ No More: Tesla Repays $465 Million U.S. Loan | TIME.com

Now, back to the subject at hand - the existing dealerships who have such faith in the free market, they call in their tame Republican buddies to squash this annoying competitor through legislation. Now, for those of us who see the Republican Party as the party of defending the already entrenched monied interests, this isn't surprising. But you have to admit, it's a bit funny to see them fight like hell against that free market they claim to love so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies