Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 10:55 AM

20,867 posts, read 23,422,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mire View Post
Yeah, it can be done. But airbags were mandated in accordance with FMVSS 208... every vehicle produced after 1 April 1989 must have them, and removing them is highly illegal... no shop is going to do it, and I'm not going to tell you how to. If you do get into an accident, and Barney concludes that an airbag could've saved your life, anyone doing such a modification for you or guiding you through it is going to have their feet held to the fire and be deemed liable... whether or not it holds up in a court of law doesn't really matter... it'll make life a PItA for them until that conclusion is reached (and likely, even after, as there'll be the family to contend with, as well).
Sorry, that's a frag I'm not jumping on top of.
Wrong, I have a 92 that doesn't have airbags. The mandate you mentioned only made passive restraint mandatory. Airbags didn't become mandatory until 1998 for the 1999 model year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 10:56 AM

68,281 posts, read 54,065,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
With the recent recall for air bag problems, it makes me want to not just disable, but completely remove the air bag systems in my Corvette, as well as my pickup truck.
Is this possible?
I drove over fifty years without air bags, and I'M still here.
Sue would like to know if they can be removed safely.

Your thoughts.

Bob.
You probably never had a child car seat either, would you deny your grand child one?

Of course air bags can be removed. But is it really a good idea?

Personally, if my vehicle was on a recall list I'd have it fixed, otherwise I have no issues leaving the air bag system intact.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:01 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,436,291 times
Heard BMW is backlogged and will disable the system pending installation...

Anyone else hear this?

If true it would seem having a non-functioning airbag is better than a "Defective" functioning one?

Old 10-22-2014, 07:38 PM

795 posts, read 4,525,100 times
I had the same question for different reasons (I'm short, under 5'3", and no matter how I position the seat the steering wheel is always close to my face and chest). I called multiple shops and was refused -- both for legal/safety reasons and because they said the car would no longer pass state inspection. I don't know if this helps you since I'm in NC and you're in CA...

Old 10-22-2014, 07:42 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,090,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Heard BMW is backlogged and will disable the system pending installation...

Anyone else hear this?

If true it would seem having a non-functioning airbag is better than a "Defective" functioning one?

I highly doubt BMW would disable the airbag systems. This is not a pacemaker cars are easily sold.

It's seems the real solution is to buy a GM product with a pre-recalled ignition switch

Old 10-22-2014, 09:42 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,436,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I highly doubt BMW would disable the airbag systems. This is not a pacemaker cars are easily sold.
The best way to check if your Toyota is part of the recall is to plug-in the year and model at ToyotaHawaii.com. If you drive another car brand, SaferCar.gov is another option, although the website has been crashing as car owners go there to check their vehicles.

There's currently a shortage of parts to perform the airbag fix, but the NHTSA says drivers should still contact their dealerships as soon as possible.

"One of the things we'll do in the interim is actually disable the front passenger airbag," said Ching. “Our recommendation would also be not to have anybody occupy that space until we can do the final fix, which is a replacement of the airbag inflator module.”

Read more: Dealerships flooded with calls about airbag recall | More Local News - KITV Home

Old 10-22-2014, 09:59 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,672,246 times
Most of the cars I've owned with air bags have been removed via an aftermarket steering wheel that either myself or I had a shop installed. I don't particularly want them. However, most cars have the wiring directly connected with the module and with a couple of cars I've owned the wires are a part of a bundle where the wires is in the freaking middle of the bundle. It's like they wired them as an annoyance. I feel you OP.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:45 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,577,997 times
It's a little more complicated than removing the seat belts, but it's your vehicle.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:01 AM

4,857 posts, read 5,777,393 times
If it's anything like the radio in gm cars, it won't even run without it, but it's as simple(or used to be) as pulling of the cover(unclscrew it first), unscrewing the airbag, and unplugging it carefully enough it won't go off.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:07 AM

11,223 posts, read 16,356,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Wrong, I have a 92 that doesn't have airbags. The mandate you mentioned only made passive restraint mandatory. Airbags didn't become mandatory until 1998 for the 1999 model year.

Same here. I have a 91 with no airbags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post
I had the same question for different reasons (I'm short, under 5'3", and no matter how I position the seat the steering wheel is always close to my face and chest). I called multiple shops and was refused -- both for legal/safety reasons and because they said the car would no longer pass state inspection. I don't know if this helps you since I'm in NC and you're in CA...
Up here in Ontario Canada, I worked with a woman who was just about your height. She had the drivers airbag in her Sunfire legally disconnected, but she had to get permission from the government. Talk to the State about your situation. The airbag is a safety hazard to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive