Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2014, 08:39 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,728,463 times

Advertisements

The gray metallic paint on my car (which I've had for less than a month) is shiny and in great condition overall. However, it has four small flaws:
  • A dime-sized scatter pattern of what may have been tree sap--brown/orange in color;
  • A small dark spot the size of a pencil eraser;
  • A dull area (2-3 inches) on the roof that looks like some idiot rubbed too hard to remove a bird dropping; and
  • A tiny dark speck on the nose that probably came from some flying pebble.

Should I have a detailer do paint correction for the whole car (before applying a sealer)? This would probably fix the above problems, but then I wonder if taking down the entire clear coat--they don't do spot correction--would not make sense. These flaws are only visible from a foot or so away. Overall, the paint looks great--and I don't want to lose nanometers of clearcoat just to get rid of them. Unless, that is, the new sealer would make up for that.

I recently bought some Klasse All in One polish and Klasse sealer online. Could I spot-correct and seal these areas myself?

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 01:56 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,342,445 times
Year and model?

Old 11-09-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Year and model?
Does it make a difference? It has a clearcoat.

Old 11-09-2014, 02:38 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,769,221 times
Try some acetone first with a soft cloth. Don't rub too hard, you can scratch the clear coat if you rub hard enough with the softest rag.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Try some acetone first with a soft cloth. Don't rub too hard, you can scratch the clear coat if you rub hard enough with the softest rag.
Terrible idea! Acetone strips paint. But maybe you knew that.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:50 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,212,192 times
Quote:
Try some acetone first
Ehhhh, and follow it up with some brake fluid

I would wash it first. Then buy a clay bar and go over the car twice with it then give it a wax.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:27 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,769,221 times
Acetone will most certainly NOT strip automotive paint. Detailers use it all the time to remove bugs and tar.

I will tell the OP not to use it on black rubber trim and moldings, it gives them a white faded look.

Managed a detail shop for three years BTW.....

Old 11-10-2014, 01:19 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,738,816 times
Quote:
Acetone will most certainly NOT strip automotive paint. Detailers use it all the time to remove bugs and tar.

I will tell the OP not to use it on black rubber trim and moldings, it gives them a white faded look.

Managed a detail shop for three years BTW.....
Than you should know to use the least aggressive method and go from there. Like someone else posted, start with clay bar and if that doesn't remove it try a light finishing polish. You can pick up some OTC ones at Walmart or local shop. Meguiars M205 (or comparable one)

Old 11-10-2014, 01:27 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,625,014 times
try applying Meguiar's Color-X polish/wax yourself before shelling out $$ for a pro detailer. It's pretty effective for minor blemishes on daily drivers. As far as micro-chips, you just have to learn to live with them. Believe me, I know it hurts to see those light dust-like specks on your hood, but there's really no way to prevent them unless you vinyl wrap your vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive