Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2014, 07:33 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times

Advertisements

Driving the other day my mind wandered and thought about the future, technology and automobiles.
Cars have all sorts of futuristic things like Onstar, satellite radio, GPS, cell phones etc... These devices communicate with the world so is it that much of a stretch to think that they can also be used for law enforcement. Imagine driving on a road where your GPS knows the speed limit is 45 but for some reason you are going 50 which sets off another device that alerts the police/ RMV and a day later a ticket shows up in your mail. Is it that far fetched?
We now have electronic signs on our highway that tell drivers how far and how long it will take to get to a certain exit. We have speed passes that let us drive through a toll booth. We can get a ticket through a traffic cam if we run a red light. We can get a ticket for going over a toll bridge and not paying.
The technology is already there to nab law breakers. All it will take to implement it is a do gooder politician.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 08:25 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,736,582 times
Yep, it's already there. The computer in your car is already tracking speed, etc.

Hey, if it levels the playing field (ie cops, judges, politicians would be under same strict rules) why not

But really not a big fan of big brother watching over everything.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:40 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Buy an app for your GPS which transmits your vehicle's speed 10mph under the posted speed limit.

The same technology can be used to locate cops before they clock your speed.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:13 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
The best investment I ever made was when I bought my Valentine 1 radar detector. As new technology comes out to combat speeders, valentine one releases software updates to match it. While I'm not a maniac on the road I rarely follow the speed limit. It has paid for itself many times over with all the times its saved my behind from speed traps.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:09 PM

19,041 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Actually, it's ABS block that is tracking your speed, acceleration, braking down etc, for about 15 seconds loop.

But the cars of the future will not be speeding. I think, 5 or so years ago, then SAAB released a car that knew local speed limit via sat nav and will NOT allow driver to go above it. It didn't go into well welcomed production, but it's THERE. THEY can enforce this any time they want to. Like they did with breathalyzers in some cars.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:39 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,870,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I think, 5 or so years ago, then SAAB released a car that knew local speed limit via sat nav and will NOT allow driver to go above it.
Sounds dangerous.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:47 PM

6,454 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Actually, it's ABS block that is tracking your speed, acceleration, braking down etc, for about 15 seconds loop.

But the cars of the future will not be speeding. I think, 5 or so years ago, then SAAB released a car that knew local speed limit via sat nav and will NOT allow driver to go above it. It didn't go into well welcomed production, but it's THERE. THEY can enforce this any time they want to. Like they did with breathalyzers in some cars.

There will be ways around this, or any other gimmick they come up with.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:20 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
The best investment I ever made was when I bought my Valentine 1 radar detector. As new technology comes out to combat speeders, valentine one releases software updates to match it. While I'm not a maniac on the road I rarely follow the speed limit. It has paid for itself many times over with all the times its saved my behind from speed traps.
But if I'm not mistaken, isn't lidar only detectable if it's already hitting your vehicle? Or do you drive exclusively in an area that just uses radar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive