Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 07:15 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,536,952 times

Advertisements

In '73 Consumer Reports tested a Plymouth Valiant 225-6. Months later they also tested a Dodge Dart 318-V8.

The Dart was Canadian built, the Valiant was not

Both the Dart & Valiant were tested with optional extra cost sound insulation packages

Both were 4 door sedans

The Canadian built Dart offered impressive ride comfort for a compact (Darts often delivered impressive ride comfort even before '73, the '68 Dart actually rode better than the Cadillac Sedan De Ville under full load)

The Valiant rode no better than its competition

The Canadian built Dart also rated "fairly quiet", impressive for a compact. Some of its sound level readings were actually lower than many of the mid sized cars tested that same year

The Valiant with its sound package showed some improvement but it still rated "fairly noisy" as it always did in years past. These compacts were noted for their harsh ride and road noise

take a look at the differences:

quiet road at 30 mph; noisy road at 30 mph; highway at 60 mph, highway at 70 mph

Dart: 20; 35; 35; 41

Valiant: 25; 40; 42; 52

so is it being Canadian built that made the Dart a more comfortable rider or the Dodge nameplate or the extra weight (Valiant-3100 lbs, Dart 3300 lbs)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 09:01 PM

886 posts, read 5,693,353 times
You by far ask some of the dumbest off the wall questions I have ever seen!

Old 11-22-2014, 08:18 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,421,731 times
To compare the slant six 225, to the V8 318, is a real head scratcher.

Two totally different engines, with radically different applications.

In the day, the slant six was the choice for hard use, daily use, such as taxis and delivery vans.

The 318 was a truck engine, that also had it's performance editions. I had one in a 19 foot Shepard Brothers speed boat. A marine version, with 2 two barrel side draft carbs, and a full race cam and copper water cooled exhaust system. The side draft carbs were to fit the engine under a close fitting engine hatch cover.

I don't think that "Canadian built cars " were much different than the US built models by the same company. I do know that GM Canada built a large number of "export model Chevelles " for the middle east market, with six cylinder engines and three speed manual transmissions , in the mid 70's.

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:35 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,536,952 times
thanks usa for your "compliment"- being different keeps me from conforming and being like every other idiot out there. i like to stand out from the crowd. the more i do it the more respect i get from others

and canadian citizen thanks for actually answering my question

Old 11-22-2014, 10:38 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,085,479 times
[quote=canadian citizen;37372798]To compare the slant six 225, to the V8 318, is a real head scratcher.

Two totally different engines, with radically different applications.

In the day, the slant six was the choice for hard use, daily use, such as taxis and delivery vans.

The 318 was a truck engine, that also had it's performance editions. I had one in a 19 foot Shepard Brothers speed boat. A marine version, with 2 two barrel side draft carbs, and a full race cam and copper water cooled exhaust system. The side draft carbs were to fit the engine under a close fitting engine hatch cover.

I don't think that "Canadian built cars " were much different than the US built models by the same company. I do know that GM Canada built a large number of "export model Chevelles " for the middle east market, with six cylinder engines and three speed manual transmissions , in the mid 70's.

Jim B. In Toronto.[/QU
GM, Ford, Chrysler use the same parts same assembly Line applications it's their cars or trucks. The parts come from the same supplier. That's like saying witch Sunoco gas is better the USA or Canada. I'm sorry but the other guy was right stupid stupid questions. So you think that a camaro made in Canada is a better compared to a camaro made in the states. Same car same everything but you think the Canadian camaro is better. We're do people come up with this stuff.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:27 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,421,731 times
I guess that you don't know about some of these "only made in Canada " models ?

Ford Niagara, Meteor Montcalm, Chevy Canso, Pontiac Brave, Chevrolet Brookwood wagon, Chrysler Windsor, and on and on.......

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:03 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,763,719 times
Quite actually Roger, anybody with the love for the autos would find this an interesting topic. As far as the 318 being a truck engine, that's wrong. The originating family engine was the Chrysler A engines. The 318 started life as a 273 and is known as the Chrysler LA family of engines. As I know you know Roger, there are 3 very distinct forms of the 318. They are the 318 standard, the 318 Wide, and the 318-3 with the 318-3 being the engine in the medium trucks. The 340 is a bored out version of the 318 and the 360 is a stroked 340 if you want to follow the heritage. I've raced the 318 standard and the wide and I own a 74 D-500 with a 318-3. Most of the hot rodders will kill for a 318-3 as it has huge main bearings and more of them. It's extremely rare to find one anymore. Here's the 318 wide, note the valve covers. The head design is known as polyspherical and is more of a Hemi than the crap they are shoving off on unsuspecting folks as a Hemi today. Another note on the 318LA engine, they were noted for having an extremely hard block. Most often a rebuild meant just rings and bearings. Rarely would you have to bore a worn block.

In regards to Canadian built cars. They were actually sought after here as they were better assembled with parts fitting better. I'm going to assume the assembly time was longer or maybe the Canadians were a lot more proud of their work than the UAW gangsters of the era. I have an F-100 in the garage that was built in Canada. It's been a trusty friend since I bought it new in 1974. But yeah, the Canadian built cars were assembled with a lot more detail than the US cars even of the same model. I don't think you can compare different models though as the specs would be entirely different.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Quite actually Roger, anybody with the love for the autos would find this an interesting topic. As far as the 318 being a truck engine, that's wrong. The originating family engine was the Chrysler A engines. The 318 started life as a 273 and is known as the Chrysler LA family of engines. As I know you know Roger, there are 3 very distinct forms of the 318. They are the 318 standard, the 318 Wide, and the 318-3 with the 318-3 being the engine in the medium trucks. The 340 is a bored out version of the 318 and the 360 is a stroked 340 if you want to follow the heritage. I've raced the 318 standard and the wide and I own a 74 D-500 with a 318-3. Most of the hot rodders will kill for a 318-3 as it has huge main bearings and more of them. It's extremely rare to find one anymore. Here's the 318 wide, note the valve covers. The head design is known as polyspherical and is more of a Hemi than the crap they are shoving off on unsuspecting folks as a Hemi today. Another note on the 318LA engine, they were noted for having an extremely hard block. Most often a rebuild meant just rings and bearings. Rarely would you have to bore a worn block.

In regards to Canadian built cars. They were actually sought after here as they were better assembled with parts fitting better. I'm going to assume the assembly time was longer or maybe the Canadians were a lot more proud of their work than the UAW gangsters of the era. I have an F-100 in the garage that was built in Canada. It's been a trusty friend since I bought it new in 1974. But yeah, the Canadian built cars were assembled with a lot more detail than the US cars even of the same model. I don't think you can compare different models though as the specs would be entirely different.
I had a big block 318 in my old 1964 Dodge Polara. Had the push button auto trans on the left hand side of the dashboard .

Old 11-22-2014, 07:09 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,763,719 times
I had a 64 Polara Sport. It came factory with the 318W engine and the pushbutton 727b Torqueflite transmission. The engine and tranny promptly came out. The tranny got reworked by the B&M folks. The engine got slightly bigger valves, a Chrysler Purple Performance cam and a Carter 800 cfm 4 holer. The headers were Headmans. The car turned in the mid 10's usually. Our entire family was into drag racing even grand dad who raced a 64 Sport Fury that started out as a 361 Tall block with 3 dueces and a 727b. He then upgraded to a 413 with 2 fours and all of the other goodies that makes 'em go fast. Dad had a 58 station wagon with a punched 283 that would pull one front wheel. Mom drove a 66 GTO and sister drove a Mustang. Her soon to be husband drove a 52 Mercury with a flathead sporting 3 dueces. It helps a lot when a cuzin owns a speed shop and grand dad owned the Chrysler- Plymouth dealership. Anyway, my Polara looked like this one, same color, same body but no hood scoop.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I had a 64 Polara Sport. It came factory with the 318W engine and the pushbutton 727b Torqueflite transmission. The engine and tranny promptly came out. The tranny got reworked by the B&M folks. The engine got slightly bigger valves, a Chrysler Purple Performance cam and a Carter 800 cfm 4 holer. The headers were Headmans. The car turned in the mid 10's usually. Our entire family was into drag racing even grand dad who raced a 64 Sport Fury that started out as a 361 Tall block with 3 dueces and a 727b. He then upgraded to a 413 with 2 fours and all of the other goodies that makes 'em go fast. Dad had a 58 station wagon with a punched 283 that would pull one front wheel. Mom drove a 66 GTO and sister drove a Mustang. Her soon to be husband drove a 52 Mercury with a flathead sporting 3 dueces. It helps a lot when a cuzin owns a speed shop and grand dad owned the Chrysler- Plymouth dealership. Anyway, my Polara looked like this one, same color, same body but no hood scoop.
That's the same color and style I had no hood scoop on mine either, my grandfather gave the car to me. Just for being stock it got up and went. Man I wish I had ll my older cars back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive