Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 11:28 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,984 times

Advertisements

Having the model S as a sole mode of transportation may not work for a lot of folks...Locally however, those who spend $80k on a car, likely have multiple cars. The cheaper way forward though, is you have your Model S as a daily driver (to and from work, on the weekends, etc) and when you're planning a roadtrip you go to Hertz and rent from whichever collection suits your needs.

A friend just came in town over for a week, named his own price, and paid $10/day for a car. Most folks will go the "dumb" route and purchase two vehicles when one would suffice, paying for insurance, fuel, maintenance, taxes, parking, etc on a vehicle that is only driven a fraction of the time.

If I had $80k or so, I think a model S would be a fantastic addition to the garage...I just don't have $80k...or even $40k.

I also wouldn't spend $80k on a stylish Chevy Volt, no more than I would spend it on the new camaro Z/28. Additionally, I do agree that comparing the two is a bit absurd. Cadillac is saying "Why buy that expensive thing when you can have this less expensive thing...both of them have four wheels and tires!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 11:32 AM

460 posts, read 1,004,259 times
This might be a little off, but I remember a Cadillac ad many years ago comparing one of their cars to the BMW 3-series and how it had better cornering ability. If you read the fine print at the bottom, the Cadillac was tested using high performance summer tires, and the BMW was handicapped with some sort of all season radials that don't normally come with the car. I thought that was tacky and deceptive.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:53 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman91919 View Post
This might be a little off, but I remember a Cadillac ad many years ago comparing one of their cars to the BMW 3-series and how it had better cornering ability. If you read the fine print at the bottom, the Cadillac was tested using high performance summer tires, and the BMW was handicapped with some sort of all season radials that don't normally come with the car. I thought that was tacky and deceptive.
That was probably an ad for the Cimarron, an awful car, based on the Chevy Citation (?). I think they also said the Cimarron was "the Caddy that zigs".

Old 12-23-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Having the model S as a sole mode of transportation may not work for a lot of folks...Locally however, those who spend $80k on a car, likely have multiple cars. The cheaper way forward though, is you have your Model S as a daily driver (to and from work, on the weekends, etc) and when you're planning a roadtrip you go to Hertz and rent from whichever collection suits your needs.

A friend just came in town over for a week, named his own price, and paid $10/day for a car. Most folks will go the "dumb" route and purchase two vehicles when one would suffice, paying for insurance, fuel, maintenance, taxes, parking, etc on a vehicle that is only driven a fraction of the time.

If I had $80k or so, I think a model S would be a fantastic addition to the garage...I just don't have $80k...or even $40k.

I also wouldn't spend $80k on a stylish Chevy Volt, no more than I would spend it on the new camaro Z/28. Additionally, I do agree that comparing the two is a bit absurd. Cadillac is saying "Why buy that expensive thing when you can have this less expensive thing...both of them have four wheels and tires!"
I'm pretty confident that people don't buy Tesla S cars to save money. They buy them because they are cool high performance sedans that aren't part of the herd of BMW, Mercedes or Lexus they would otherwise buy. These are people who already drive nice cars and the Tesla is an addition.

Here in Texas, there are Tesla Supercharger stations between all the major cities. Only the drive between Dallas and Houston (240 miles) might require a charge.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:08 PM

6,545 posts, read 7,129,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I'm pretty confident that people don't buy Tesla S cars to save money. They buy them because they are cool high performance sedans that aren't part of the herd of BMW, Mercedes or Lexus they would otherwise buy. These are people who already drive nice cars and the Tesla is an addition.

Here in Texas, there are Tesla Supercharger stations between all the major cities. Only the drive between Dallas and Houston (240 miles) might require a charge.
It's T E S T L A! Quit calling it tesla!!! Hahaha jk

Old 12-23-2014, 12:23 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
Internally, GM went from laughing at the thuoght of a California startup auto company comprised of computer tech figuring there is no way they could build a creditable electric car, to setting up an internal committee to figure out how Tesla was able to build such a great and very competitive electric luxury car virtually overnight.

The first generation Model S is already a great success. It's "limited" range is not all that limited, and other than for cross country trips is more than adequate for tons of buyers. Even that is being addressed as Tesla is going to start offering battery swaps at stations, so that they will just give you a new charged battery to keep you going quickly.

Tesla is also saying 2nd generation vehicles will also have greater ranges.

Why anyone is laughing at Tesla right now is beyond me. They are not on the verge of being the largest manufacturer in the world or anything, but they certainly have had a TON of success as a brand new startup... which is something nobody else has been able to do in decades.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:34 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,861 times
GM pretty much invented the Electric Car. Tesla is a knock off

Old 12-23-2014, 12:37 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Not at all.

There have been electric cars on and off since there was cars, and before. Electric cars have roots in the mid 19th century in Europe. GM's EV1 was hardly an "all new" concept of using an electric motor to drive a vehicle.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:13 PM

6,545 posts, read 7,129,801 times
Quote:
Sure!

Electric car - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The first Porsche was electric.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
You have a good imagination. Bravo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC