Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 04:39 PM

19,119 posts, read 25,316,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
That was probably an ad for the Cimarron, an awful car, based on the Chevy Citation (?). I think they also said the Cimarron was "the Caddy that zigs".
Nope!
The Cimarron was just a poorly-disguised, poor-quality FWD Chevy Cavalier, selling for twice the price of the Chevy.
Cadillac Cimarron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The Caddy That Zigs" was the Catera, which was a poorly-disguised RWD Opel Omega.

Anyone--like me--who spent time in Europe during the '80s knew that the Opel Omega was essentially the standard taxi in many areas of the continent.
Cadillac Catera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Selling a "tarted-up" taxi as a luxury car?
I don't think so!

In any event, each of these wretched cars were just one more example of GM's inability to properly market a small car in The US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 05:31 PM

708 posts, read 1,059,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Nope!
The Cimarron was just a poorly-disguised, poor-quality FWD Chevy Cavalier, selling for twice the price of the Chevy.

"The Caddy That Zigs" was the Catera, which was a poorly-disguised RWD Opel Omega.

Anyone--like me--who spent time in Europe during the '80s knew that the Opel Omega was essentially the standard taxi in many areas of the continent.

I don't think so!

In any event, each of these wretched cars were just one more example of GM's inability to properly market a small car in The US.
I remember at the time the Catera came out, one of the car magazines did a favorable review headlined " Catera is NOT German for Cimarron." I chuckled. That always stuck in my head.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:32 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Nope!

I don't think so!

Thanks for the correct info!

Old 12-23-2014, 06:16 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,138,185 times
It's kind of like GM other ads pitching 30-40% off.

GM is back on the big time rebate wagon big time to sell their junk again.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:17 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,123,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Internally, GM went from laughing at the thuoght of a California startup auto company comprised of computer tech figuring there is no way they could build a creditable electric car, to setting up an internal committee to figure out how Tesla was able to build such a great and very competitive electric luxury car virtually overnight.

The first generation Model S is already a great success. It's "limited" range is not all that limited, and other than for cross country trips is more than adequate for tons of buyers. Even that is being addressed as Tesla is going to start offering battery swaps at stations, so that they will just give you a new charged battery to keep you going quickly.

Tesla is also saying 2nd generation vehicles will also have greater ranges.

Why anyone is laughing at Tesla right now is beyond me. They are not on the verge of being the largest manufacturer in the world or anything, but they certainly have had a TON of success as a brand new startup... which is something nobody else has been able to do in decades.
Believe me GM is not worried about them. They are in no way a threat to GM. It would not Susprise me if in a couple of years GM would try to buy them out. GM has over $20 billion that they are just sitting on. So it is feasable that they could buy Tesla, anything can happen. Right now GM makes its money on just gasoline cats and trucks, the volt and the ELR are just a very very small pice of there business. I'm from Detroit and have friends working at the Pole town plant were they make the ELR and the volt and the impala and the Malibu. They are making the new Cadillac CTS-V it's 640 hp and 630 lb of torqe. It will do 0-60 in 3.6 seconds,has a 6.2 liter supercharged V8 . It's the same motor that the new Z06 vette had. This is the most powerfull Cadillac ever made.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:45 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,404,388 times
GM is a company that sells cars so it can pay for retires pension and provide them healthcare. If I recall they needed a gov bailout. I buy cars from car companies and GM hasn't convinced me they are in the long run

Old 12-23-2014, 08:26 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Believe me GM is not worried about them. They are in no way a threat to GM. It would not Susprise me if in a couple of years GM would try to buy them out. GM has over $20 billion that they are just sitting on. So it is feasable that they could buy Tesla, anything can happen. Right now GM makes its money on just gasoline cats and trucks, the volt and the ELR are just a very very small pice of there business. I'm from Detroit and have friends working at the Pole town plant were they make the ELR and the volt and the impala and the Malibu. They are making the new Cadillac CTS-V it's 640 hp and 630 lb of torqe. It will do 0-60 in 3.6 seconds,has a 6.2 liter supercharged V8 . It's the same motor that the new Z06 vette had. This is the most powerfull Cadillac ever made.
At least the CTS-V isn't carrying a foam pool noodle to a gun fight versus the Tesla like the ELR is. Wait until Toyota pulls a Cadillac and markets the Lexus C250h versus the CTS-V =D

Old 12-23-2014, 09:37 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,123,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
GM is a company that sells cars so it can pay for retires pension and provide them healthcare. If I recall they needed a gov bailout. I buy cars from car companies and GM hasn't convinced me they are in the long run
I'm sure GM could care less what you think. And as far as GM in for the long run they have been around over a 100 yrs, I think that's the long run. So you think that the retires should pay for there own health care and not get a pension. Sorry but that's why there is the UAW. I'm from Detroit and the son of a GM worker who worked for them for 30 yrs and a proud member of the UAW. SO GM took care of my family. Have a merry Xmas I'm sure the people that work for GM will. And so you can really get you fired up the line workers get from. Dec 24 to jan 2 off with pay how about you.

Last edited by Vannort54; 12-23-2014 at 09:47 PM..

Old 12-23-2014, 11:28 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,989,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
I'm sure GM could care less what you think. And as far as GM in for the long run they have been around over a 100 yrs, I think that's the long run. So you think that the retires should pay for there own health care and not get a pension. Sorry but that's why there is the UAW. I'm from Detroit and the son of a GM worker who worked for them for 30 yrs and a proud member of the UAW. SO GM took care of my family. Have a merry Xmas I'm sure the people that work for GM will. And so you can really get you fired up the line workers get from. Dec 24 to jan 2 off with pay how about you.
It only took 4 pages for you to bring up the UAW and how your daddy worked there just like you do in every other thread concerning vehicles that you post in. I'm actually surprised it wasn't on page 2.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:07 AM

24,451 posts, read 25,987,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
It only took 4 pages for you to bring up the UAW and how your daddy worked there just like you do in every other thread concerning vehicles that you post in. I'm actually surprised it wasn't on page 2.
Adjust your post per page from the default to 20 or 40. I'm on page 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC