Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 08:21 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times

Advertisements

We bought a used RAV4 at our local Toyota dealer and paid cash for it. Drove the car home with the tag off the vehicle we traded in. It took the dealer in excess of 30 days to get the title to us. It was about 35 days. I really don't like leaving without the title when I have paid for the car. I'll never do that again. If they don't have the title, we will move along. When the title finally arrived, I went and paid the taxes and registration and had to pay a late fee for exceeding 30 days. The late fee did not amount to much and I just paid it, but the dealer would have been obligated. We won't buy from that Toyota dealer again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 10:26 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
In California it can take up to 6 months to get your plates.... Cops know this and are decent about it.... If it gets to the month of the registration to be updated, go to DMV ( Iknow it is a hassle) and they will just give you another temp registration......

Old 08-01-2017, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,177 times
I purchased a vehicle, trading mine in on July 1 2017 and instead of them transferring my tags, they gave me 30 day temporary tags. As of today, 8/1/2017 my tags are expired. I have been to DMV twice to transfer my tags and this car is still not registered to me. I have called the dealer numerous times regarding this and can never seem to find anyone that is in charge or knows anything about it. I have been put on hold and left, I have been told I would receive a call back, etc you name it, I have heard it. I also contacted the Lender and they have listed on my account NO TITLE. I cannot obtain a 2nd set of temporary tags from DMV, nor can I purchase or transfer my tags on my previous vehicle. I am at a standstill because I have to drive my car daily to and from work. I have never driven a vehicle that I do not drive legally and I do not want a ticket for something that I have no control over.

What is my best recourse?

Old 08-10-2017, 03:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,113 times
Thedealership i bought car from hasn't giving me my plates.its been almost 2 years now.i cantrrgistermy car cause dmv diesnt have the right vin number on my car and no paperwork from dealership. I paid licesns and registration fees at the time of leasing the vehicle.but dmv td me that they never received any fees from them.no plates in registration.vin on contract is wrong.is my contract still valid.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,063 times
Default Haven't received my plates

I bought my car in April and I was waiting for my plates but they never came. I called the dealer and they gave me the run around until finally someone answered telling me that the price for the registration was more than they had told me when we filled all the paper work. I asked why I wasn't notified and they said they sent a letter. I never received anything. They told me I owed 100 dollars more and that I wouldn't receive anything till I paid. I refused to pay and now I'm at a loss as to what I should do. I find all this fishy.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:06 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlalopez92 View Post
I bought my car in April and I was waiting for my plates but they never came. I called the dealer and they gave me the run around until finally someone answered telling me that the price for the registration was more than they had told me when we filled all the paper work. I asked why I wasn't notified and they said they sent a letter. I never received anything. They told me I owed 100 dollars more and that I wouldn't receive anything till I paid. I refused to pay and now I'm at a loss as to what I should do. I find all this fishy.
Did you buy from a real dealership, or some fly on the wall operation?

I seem to be the only one on here who bought a car at a dealership and drove it off the lot with the plates ON THE CAR. And that was my first car, so there was no transferring of the plates from my old car to my new one. 16 years later I still have those same plates, although they are on my 2nd car now.

The only thing I had to wait for was the permanent registration windshield sticker and document to come from DMV. And then the title when the loan was paid off.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,743 times
I purchased a truck and receuved my plates and tags in the mail. The tags expire in 2 months after I paid registration fees of over $300. Is this legal

Old 02-24-2018, 11:30 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
Bought a used car December 14th from a dealership - license tags are on the car.

We paid registration fees to the dealership at the time of purchase, with the understanding that they would submit the fees and paperwork to the DMV and we would receive the stickers and registration in the mail. There is a 90-day temporary registration on the windshield.

The DMV does not yet have our paperwork or fees from the dealership - called them today and they have nothing.

Called dealership and then went by to talk in person because the answers by phone were not concrete. Dealership says they have thirty days from the sale date to submit the information and that ours is "in the stack to be processed" - will not give a definite date when it will happen. Current registration (from previous owner) expires January 16th, after which there will be fees for late renewal.

* So, because the dealership collected our registration fees and told us they would take care of everything, are they responsible for paying any late fees if they do not submit the paperwork for our registration to the DMV before the current registration expires on January 16th? *
/I had a dealership try to charge me $325 above and beyond cost for "processing" the title application on a used car. I threatened to walk and told them just give me the papers and I will take them to a title service where they will charge me less than $20 above what the state needs.

Don in Austin

Old 02-24-2018, 05:16 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth1234 View Post
I purchased a truck and receuved my plates and tags in the mail. The tags expire in 2 months after I paid registration fees of over $300. Is this legal
DMV rules vary by State. Who sent you the plates ? Dealer, or your State DMV ?

Whichever, call them and ask. They are only ones who will know what your situation is.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:13 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Think you need to call the DMV and ask them.
Call the DMV? What state (or planet) are you from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive