Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 06:47 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,644,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Just came back from the San Jose Car show.
I was told the Buick Verano has stick option. Although it is a "compact", even though it is big.
The dodge challenger was on display with stick shift, although it is 2door only, and 18mpg.

Probably I will have to go with the Mazda6. I still have a few months to think about it. Maybe a used fusion pops up.
Why aren't you looking at the new GTI? It just won car of the year, and it really is the best car out there right now. Since it's a hatchback it's got tons of room, way more then any sedan can offer, especially with the rear seats down.

You need to test drive one. I guarantee that you will be shocked at how good it is to drive and how much interior room there is.

Also, if you get a 90 dollar SCCA membership you can then get 500 dollars below invoice on the GTI. Which makes the GTI the best value proposition out there, especially when your not spending a extra grand on the DSG gearbox.

Doesn't hurt that it's a looker too

Last edited by tofur; 01-12-2015 at 07:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 09:26 AM

1,703 posts, read 2,598,834 times
OP: What you want is not available. Your preferences will have to "bend" somehow.

Eight months ago I was ready to buy. Wanted a mid-size 4-door sedan with 6-cylinder engine and stick shift. Alas, not to be had in a new car. I compromised on a clean low-mileage private-sale one-owner 2005 Infiniti. Yes, it's used, and yes, it's Made in Japan. Fast, smooth, loaded with luxury features, cost $8800. With a used car I save by not carrying collision insurance.

Hooray for Craig's List!

Daniel B. Martin

Old 01-13-2015, 10:14 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,885,442 times
When I am in the market for a new family car, the Mazda 6 is at the top of the list due to the manual transmission. I would be compromising on my preference of RWD, but in the price range I want to stay in (~$25K) that is the best option. I've driven one, and it ran pretty well IMO. A G37 was my top choice, but they are too far out of my preferred price range, if you can even find a slightly used one.

I too looked for a used manual Fusion for a while, but I could not find one close enough to test drive to see if I like the way it runs. And that is one thing that really irks me about the cars. com and autotrader listings with all the false manual transmissions. I've gone through 30 or 40 ads and like the OP, only found a handful of real manuals. Idiot salespeople IMO. Wish I could waste their time like they wasted mine.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:19 AM

17,452 posts, read 15,584,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
OP: What you want is not available. Your preferences will have to "bend" somehow.

Eight months ago I was ready to buy. Wanted a mid-size 4-door sedan with 6-cylinder engine and stick shift. Alas, not to be had in a new car. I compromised on a clean low-mileage private-sale one-owner 2005 Infiniti. Yes, it's used, and yes, it's Made in Japan. Fast, smooth, loaded with luxury features, cost $8800. With a used car I save by not carrying collision insurance.

Hooray for Craig's List!

Daniel B. Martin
I'm just about to pick up a 6spd manual 4-door 2007 G35 in a few weeks

Old 01-14-2015, 12:20 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,399,574 times
you can go on auto trader and search for cars with manual trans. I did a search for new cars leaving everything blank except transmission (manual) and my zip code. I got 13 pages of results (searched only within 25 miles of my home).

There was a mini-cooper 'Countryman' with a 6 speed manual, turbo, and AWD. There were various Chevys including the Camaro and Corvette. Various Porches, Dodge trucks, and many others. Of course you could fill in some of the other criteria (e.g. price, number of doors, etc) to fit your needs and narrow your search.

Search for Cars For Sale Online - Find a Car at AutoTrader.com

Old 01-15-2015, 07:14 AM

15,832 posts, read 20,621,255 times
I kinda wish the Infiniti G37x came with a 6-spd. Not the RWD model, but the AWD model. That would be a fun car to drive. I have one and am fine with the automatic as it does have a decent sport shift mode, but a real clutch would have been nice paired with the AWD. Could have had some fun with it in the snow.

Anyway, sad to see the impending death of the manual transmission. It's funny to see news reports of thieves and carjackers taking a car with a manual and then having to leave it because they do not know how to drive a stick shift. And while you have the performance crowd which values a manual transmission, their numbers just do not compare to the general population which unfortunately does not know how to drive a stick, and the younger generation who I am finding do not even know a "manual" transmission exists or sees the point.

I was even disappointed to see the new Ford GT is no longer going to be offered with a manual option (or a V8 for that matter) which means the wealthy elite have begun to not favor a true stick shift anymore.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:38 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,773,857 times
Manual transmissions are all but dead. They are less efficient than the newer technology, and the newer technology is more fun to drive as well.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:52 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,789,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
... and the newer technology is more fun to drive as well.
I doubt it.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:43 AM

15,832 posts, read 20,621,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
and the newer technology is more fun to drive as well.
Subjective statement.

I'll take a modern 400+ HP V8 and a clutch pedal any day.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:27 PM

863 posts, read 1,131,541 times
OP, if you don't mind flying out to Connecticut, here's a 6-speed 2013 Fusion with barely any miles on the clock:

Cars for Sale: 2013 Ford Fusion SE in Hamden, CT 06514: Sedan Details - 346706684 - AutoTrader.com

You could probably talk them down as it seems like it's been sitting there for a couple of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive