Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 09:30 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,090,187 times

Advertisements

It's a toss up between features and overall build quality. We used to have a Jeep GC Overland, their highest luxury version of the GC. It had the most powerful engine, and lots of luxury options you couldn't get with the base or standard GC. We also have a Porsche Cayenne S.

The Cayenne new cost almost double what the Jeep did at the time. In return, it has more horsepower and torque, a higher tow rating by far, better handling, better interior, better road feel and overall better build quality.

But, the Overland actually had more "luxury" features than the Cayenne does, like a CD changer (one is available for the Cayenne, but it doesn't come standard) 3 zone air conditioning (again, available for the Cayenne but as an option)... etc.

So, the cheaper SUV of the two actually had some more luxury features, standard. But, the difference for me (and why we still have the Cayenne and sold the GC) is that if you take all the options away and just look at both from a bare bones point of view, the Cayenne is a vastly superior vehicle, and you can tell from the moment you open the door. That is reaffirmed by actually driving the vehicles too. The Cayenne has the superior suspension and drivetrain, the chassis is rock solid. The Jeep on the other hand, is flimsy in comparison. A crawl underneath them both shows why the Jeep cost half as much, they used half as much material for the underbody and frame, tiny suspension and brake components compared to the Cayenne, and a million other things affecting quality.

So, the bottom line is, even if you're buying a stripped down version of a luxury SUV vs a fully loaded "standard" SUV... the luxury SUV is STILL the better vehicle. It just has less features, which you may or may not even need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 09:53 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,808,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
In this price range, it's better to get a loaded-up regular SUV than a bare-bones luxury.

Take a Highlander Limited, Grand Cherokee Overland/Limited, etc. At this price range, they have all the features. A comparable MDX is not even going to have nav.
I'll throw in a 3rd option that's even better: a 2-year old preowned MDX with all the bells and whistles for the same price (or cheaper) than a new loaded Highlander Limited.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:25 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,698,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Error View Post
i would NEVER pick a hyundai over a lexus. a hyundai shouldnt be that much in the first place. you have to take resale value into consideration as well.
the items that you mentioned could all be added aftermarket for less than a few thousand dollars.
Sure, you wouldn't, but lots of others do. Personally, your opinion that Hyundais shouldn't be that expensive is out of date, and you can spend just as much or more on a normal Honda, Nissan, etc. The hassle of adding aftermarket bolt ons is more than most people want to deal with - they prefer to get it from the factory, with a warranty and higher quality.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:34 PM

3 posts, read 10,545 times
Thanks all.
My primary requirements are/were :-
It should be beauty (I liked Lexus NX200t)
5 passengers (because we are just two, so not looking for large)
Lot of power is not needed, but looking for smooth driving
Quite inside
Comfortable seats (Somehow Lexus NX200t seats gave me impression of narrow on shoulder, but I will try again)
Resale value should be good or at least ok

I will still search more on options suggested by you here.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:17 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,000,438 times
If your looking for stand out looks, go check out the new Nissan Murano. It has luxury brand like finishes, and certainly stands out in terms of looks from cookie cutter crossovers.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:21 PM

906 posts, read 1,766,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I honestly don't think there is that much difference between standard and luxury SUVs, certainly not enough to justify the price difference; I guess this is somewhat true in just about every vehicle category. You can get a Ford Explorer Sport for $45k with basically all the performance, safety, technology, room, luxury and nearly the (actually usable) off-road capability of a $100k+ Land Rover except that the Explorer will be in the shop 1/5 the time. Same thing with a Ford Escape vs a Land Rover Evoque.
Have you physically been in a Range Rover or Range Rover Sport? The same luxury as Ford Explorer? Really?!

Luxury SUVs are better built, have higher quality components, and much higher interior build quality. The Evoque is in a completely different league and not even remotely comparable to an Escape or Edge, despite the fact it uses the same power train.

I agree with most of the responses here...with the OP budget, you're best bet is to buy a top of line mainstream SUV instead of a barebones luxury model. You'll get more features for your money, although it might not be as fun to drive.

Last edited by aus1ander; 03-10-2015 at 01:30 PM..

Old 03-10-2015, 01:41 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
I would be of the opinion to look for a CPO luxury model over a new mainstream SUV with a plethora of options. Most of the premium and above class SUVs tend to be better executed than their counterparts, even within the same manufacturer, in terms of materials choices, etc. The Highlander Limited, for example, is a good vehicle, but the interior finish and materials pales in comparison to Lexus. If you look at an MDX versus a Pilot, the MDX has the SH-AWD, which is not available on the Pilot, and is a better system, IMO, having driven an MDX and having a sibling with a new Pilot Touring, who would have bought the MDX save for needing the 8th seat at times. The comparison is much less noticed when looking at a Toyota Land Cruiser, which is a luxury vehicle and the Lexus LX, where the Lexus moves into ultra luxury SUV territory with few competitors. When comparing models like the Cayenne and Touareg, the Cayenne is a superior vehicle and is much better executed, and even more reliable. With the Tiguan, Q5, and Macan, the details differentiate the different offerings from Volkswagen, and the Q5 and Macan are generally better executed, and the Q5 is more reliable than a Tiguan, whereas the Macan is new, but if conventional wisdom with VAG is true, the Porsche will offer more satisfaction and reliability.

Sometimes it is the materials quality, but sometimes it is drive systems like SH-AWD and different engine choices that make the premium/luxury offerings stand out a bit more than the mainstream crossovers/SUVs. With specific vehicles under consideration, I would look to Acura, either a new RDX or CPO MDX over an Explorer or Escape. Have you looked at a Lexus RX? That is a vanilla vehicle in terms of sporting character, but is a pleasant vehicle with good reliability ratings, such that a CPO only has a few miles on it, and the CPO program from Lexus is very good.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-10-2015, 02:38 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,399,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
When comparing models like the Cayenne and Touareg, the Cayenne is a superior vehicle and is much better executed, and even more reliable.
I disagree with you on this one. They are built on the same line and there is a ton of overlap.

The TDI versions have the exact same engine/trans/awd system. The Cayenne v6 gas engine in the base version is the same as the Touareg but with a bump in hp (15) and torque (30) with the same trans/awd system. The hybrid system/trans/awd is the same in both with the Cayenne getting a slight bump in power. These 3 engine choices are much cheaper in the Touareg.

Since they share the 3 drivetrains which have the exact size, space and support requirements, the cars have to have almost the same underpinnings and body connections and very similar suspension.

The Cayenne sells at a rate of 2.5 times the Touareg. This might account for the perceived difference in reliability. It also might have to do with Porsche dealers better equipped to handle high end vehicles vs a VW dealer who rarely sees a complicated vehicle like a Touareg.

The Touareg has more interior space. The Porsche has the air suspension option. You can really get a lot more options in the Porsche to better personalize the truck, but you pay well for the choice. The Touareg is actually a bargain for what you are getting.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:45 PM

3 posts, read 10,545 times
RX 350 is a charm, but I thought of dropping it because of two reasons. It looks big and it will redesign. By the time I will think to sell it, after few years, it will be out of production and its resale will be less. may I be wrong here ?
While roaming in Lexus lot, I saw NX200t. Its design is fresh, looks sporty. Interiors looks puffy and it gives a feel of coziness when inside. Only problem I could see it (or I am just feeling), when we sit, it looks like we are packed. Anybody else felt same ?
Next vehicle I considered, was Acura RDX. It is powerful, smooth driving but it did not gave that coziness and luxury feel, what Lexus NX200t gave. Another plus is, rear seats are on height.
Mercedes Benz GLA - rear seats give small space for passengers and it seems like MB is good for high end cars.
Audi Q3 - It is small. I took test drive with 3 people on rear. They had to squeeze himself to survive.
Audi Q5 - Like this one, though it is on higher range. Just one small issue, rear seats are not at same height as Acura RDX.

I have not taken test drives for other standard SUV's which others suggested here. But I think, I should consider them as well.
Please let me know, if somebody was in same situation and what you think on it.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:47 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I'll throw in a 3rd option that's even better: a 2-year old preowned MDX with all the bells and whistles for the same price (or cheaper) than a new loaded Highlander Limited.
To me it seems silly to spend $40k and get a used car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive