Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 01:30 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Agreed. Guarantee you they are charging you extra to resurface the rotors. Which includes labor for removing the rotor. Which in cold weather states will be a bit tougher due to salt on the roads. Bet you they'll be charging you extra for that.

Of course brake dedicated shops these days are probably hurting because people are doing it themselves more these days. There are youtube videos of probably every make and model now.
I do my own brake pads. I have never seen a set of rotors with worn out pads that didn't need to be resurfaced or replaced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 01:34 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I suppose there could be dishonest, greedy mechanics that just want the additional revenue from the charge to resurface the rotor, and to sell you a new rotor when the next pad change comes and it's too thin to resurface again. Hopefully that is not common. A good mechanic will examine the rotor, and only resurface if needed, but most vehicles, especially the heavier ones will need it. When you have a 4WD SUV getting 20+ MPG part of the reason they can get 20 mpg is the reduction of weight. Ford, for example, went to lighter aluminum bodies on the 2015 F-150. Most cars have thinner rotors than in the past, to reduce weight. When you live in a hilly area, as we do, and going anywhere means a lot of braking, those rotors will get hot and over time start to warp. If lucky, that can be overcome by grinding. We had a 1996 4Runner that needed new front pads and rotors about every 15,000 miles. The pads were not worn out, but the steering wheel would start to shake when stopping, from the rotors being warped. The big V6, big overdrive automatic and transfer case were too much weight for the rotors.
That's driver error. Don't get the rotors hot by braking from high speed or down hill, then turn the steering wheel while applying the brakes. That will warp the rotors no matter what rig you are driving.

Also, don't apply the brakes when you hit a pothole unless you like buying front end alignments.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:40 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
If you go to a shop to have new brake pads installed the shop insists on resurfacing rotors even if the rotors look fine. Are they trying to get more money? This happens at the dealership as well as Goodyear and Midas.

Back in the day they would just put on new pads if your rotors were fine.
Many are claiming that the rotors cannot be resurfaced and need replacement. It is called an upsell.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:50 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,974,007 times
Back in the day the rotors was heavier and made of better steel. Back in the day. Cars stop at hundreds of feet farther.( ok so i exaggerate hundreds)

Today, braking system are precise and stop at a shorter distance. Way shorter.
Do you HAVE to resurface your rotors? NO
Is it RECOMMENDED to better seat your brake pads and ensure a smooth flat contact? Yes

Are they trying to upsell you rotors? Yes and No
Some cars especially Germans and Ford trucks. The rotors are designed to wear out. Notice the lip on the front rotors. So you have to replace them.

Keep your eye out on any German sedans. Especially the bmw. Notice how the front wheels are always dirty full of brake dust? The front brakes apply over 70percent of the braking pressure.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:11 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,166,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Many are claiming that the rotors cannot be resurfaced and need replacement. It is called an upsell.
Maybe true for older models, but many newer models have changed in two way that makes rotors replaceable:

1) cheaper cars come with thin rotors to save cost

2) performance models are using a wearable material on both rotor and pads so it vehicle will brake better (many European sports sedans have a dust on wheels not seen in cheaper models)

Old 03-11-2015, 05:04 PM

3,799 posts, read 2,698,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Most customers do not know proper brake bedding technique, which is absolutely essential when getting new pads but keeping old rotors. If not done properly, the brakes can then shake, or vibrate when braking, which leads to the customer bringing the car back to the dealership, complaining that they got a poor brake job done. Also, it's a liability issue. If the pads are not seated to the rotors properly, a loss of braking performance occurs which could cause an accident.

In the end, it's just easier for shops to do a complete "blank slate" for brake jobs now.
It's true that most customers don't know the proper brake bedding technique. Bedding the brakes is useful regardless of whether they are new or used rotors. Not only do most people not know how to do it, it's hard to do in a high traffic area. A good mechanic should educate the customer about brake bedding.

That said, I think it is a real shame that a manufactured item that more often than not is perfectly capable of being put back into use, instead finds its way to the scrap yard. It is a waste of resources.

Probably it comes down to laziness: mechanics got tired of sending the rotors out to have a machinist turn them.

What is easy for the mechanic is not always what is best for the customer, and frankly the customer should have more of a say in the matter; they own and operate the car.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:15 PM

685 posts, read 721,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
If you go to a shop to have new brake pads installed the shop insists on resurfacing rotors even if the rotors look fine. Are they trying to get more money? This happens at the dealership as well as Goodyear and Midas.

Back in the day they would just put on new pads if your rotors were fine.
Back in the day, the rotors were also thicker. I haven't heard of resurfacing a rotor in years. Instead and annoyingly so, they get replaced (there's not enough thickness to even turn them). YUP, I agree $$$$ and garbage parts to soak us for more dough.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:16 PM

3,799 posts, read 2,698,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Maybe true for older models, but many newer models have changed in two way that makes rotors replaceable:

1) cheaper cars come with thin rotors to save cost

2) performance models are using a wearable material on both rotor and pads so it vehicle will brake better (many European sports sedans have a dust on wheels not seen in cheaper models)
Have you actually put a pair of calipers on rotors to verify (1) for yourself? I'm talking vernier or digital caliper, not brake caliper!

As to (2), all pads have wear material, some just wear faster than others. The variation in color and amount of dust is due to different materials being used for the pad's sacrificial material from one line of pad to another. Some cars do have a more aggressive pad that generates lots of dust. However, there are still sport brakes that are "low dust". I don't think the characterization that cheaper models don't have brake dust is accurate.

The rotor coatings I am aware of are for corrosion resistance, not braking performance.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:21 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Error View Post
$$$$
Yes. And when they refinish a GOOD rotor, they take metal causing it a better chance to warp. GM's service manuals (and I assume Ford/Chrylser, etc.) say to NOT resurface rotors unless needed. It takes about five minutes per rotor to check it tool.

I have replaced rotors on a dozen vehicles in the past six years (mine and friends), never replaced or had a rotor turned and no complaints from the friends or myself.

Another reason might be the shops are owned by democrats who cannot understand how you might know if a rotor is warped or not so they believe they are all knowing and you are dumb.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:16 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
Gee, these rotors don't look so good. We have to resurface them. $$$$
Might have to replace with new. $$$$
Looks like the tie rod end ball joint is bad $$$$
CV boot is bad, have to replace $$$$
Looks like a shock might be leaking $$$$$
Looks like you have a bent strut, we have to order them $$$$$$$

But I wanted was your $50 pad replace deal!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive