Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 05:54 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
GMC needs to bring back the Syclone/Typhoon. Regular cab AWD short bed lowered v6 twin turbo and a SUV based in the same platform.

If Buick is gonna bring back the GN make it RWD not some FWD family car with body cladding and fog lamps.
I think Ford with their Range of Ecoboost V6 engines is in a better position to do their take on a Syclone/Typhoon while GM could drop the 6.2 Supercharged V8 from the C7 Z06 LT4 into a Standard cab/short bed 2WD/AWD Canyon/Colorado that would be pretty inline with the 454 SS and AWD GMC Silverado SS of the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 06:01 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I think Ford with their Range of Ecoboost V6 engines is in a better position to do their take on a Syclone/Typhoon while GM could drop the 6.2 Supercharged V8 from the C7 Z06 LT4 into a Standard cab/short bed 2WD/AWD Canyon/Colorado that would be pretty inline with the 454 SS and AWD GMC Silverado SS of the past.

Yeah I'm agreeing with this but even if I'm more of the v8 crowd a v6 will make it handle better and not so nose heavy on a pickup. A SUV has a little mire back weight. I was thinking of keeping it a bit smaller than a full size elephant.

I drove a twin turbo Ecoboost a few weeks ago. Holy crap those things can move.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:24 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Quote:
Yeah I'm agreeing with this but even if I'm more of the v8 crowd a v6 will make it handle better and not so nose heavy on a pickup. A SUV has a little mire back weight. I was thinking of keeping it a bit smaller than a full size elephant.

I drove a twin turbo Ecoboost a few weeks ago. Holy crap those things can move.
Yeah I agree plus I think GM is in a better position to Sport Truck AWD Mid-size 2015/2016 Canyon or Colorado SS PU truck over what would probably a badge engineered 4-door FWD based modern Buick Regal GNX.

I mean they are putting alot of money into the new mid-size PU truck line and having a halo sporty limited production version of the truck would make more sense for them to produce right now till the ATS based Cadillac and Camaros come out in 2016/2017..

I mean if they were to do a Turbo Regal I would rather them throw together a modern Syclone/Typhoon now and then do a proper Buick GNX that pays homage to the original later in 2017 or 2018 that would work as well.... IMO it would be a win-win for GM performance Division enthusiasts.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Yeah I agree plus I think GM is in a better position to Sport Truck AWD Mid-size 2015/2016 Canyon or Colorado SS PU truck over what would probably a badge engineered 4-door FWD based modern Buick Regal GNX.

I mean they are putting alot of money into the new mid-size PU truck line and having a halo sporty limited production version of the truck would make more sense for them to produce right now till the ATS based Cadillac and Camaros come out in 2016/2017..

I mean if they were to do a Turbo Regal I would rather them throw together a modern Syclone/Typhoon now and then do a proper Buick GNX that pays homage to the original later in 2017 or 2018 that would work as well.... IMO it would be a win-win for GM performance Division enthusiasts.

Yup I agree, I think if they did a FWD Buick GN/GNX platform it will look like the crap Dodge and Chevy was throwing up in the 2000s. I remember when Chevy and Dodge were in love with the SS and R/T badging. Hey we need a few thousand more bucks for every car. Let's do a "limited" run. Throw a R/T or SS badge on it. Here run it through Pep Boys accessory isle while it's going out the door. Seems like everything had a performance badge with some graphics shiny wheels and fog lamps and a body kit was " performance". I remember the first time I saw the FWD Chevy Impala SS. i couldn't stop laughing.

GMC has a nice new midsize platform they can do a performance run. I mean Dodge at least is putting out a 700 hp factory car. I remember when 700 hp was magical unicorn status . And from the factory? Yeah right. With warranty? It just wasn't even a concept. If you went back and said Dodge is gonna have a 700 hp factory built passenger car with a warranty you would be laughed at.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
GMC needs to bring back the Syclone/Typhoon. Regular cab AWD short bed lowered v6 twin turbo and a SUV based in the same platform.

If Buick is gonna bring back the GN make it RWD not some FWD family car with body cladding and fog lamps.
It would be RWD, basically a Buick version of the ATS and ATS-V (in GNX trim). That's why people here are concerned that the GN and GNX would be stepping on Cadillac's toes too much.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:56 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,127,634 times
Quote:
In a way I am still kinda of against GM brining it back since it was such a potent and iconic performance car of the 1980s and was based off the G-body which was kinda of the last of the classic body on frame traditional GM cars ever made.

If GM brought the GN/GNX back today it would never have the cache or awesome squared off menacing looks of the original that made them so great:
Who knows look at the chalanger

Old 03-20-2015, 08:59 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Who knows look at the chalanger
The Challenger looks the part with its retro styling and two-door format. The Charger on the other hand... look at how people wring their hands over that car because it has -- *gasp!!* four doors! The horror!

Old 03-21-2015, 04:41 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,381,599 times
I had a Challenger in '71, and when they brought back the Challenger, my heart went Thumpity Thump......same with the Mustang...they really came close with old look, and now Mustang is morphing into something else.....the Camaro and Charger never came close IMO

Old 03-21-2015, 07:44 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
I will never understand how cars like this are popular? I understood it back in the 1960's and 70's, but these cars are so outdated. Don't people want great handling in a car with that horsepower? Is everyone wanting to drag race and not go around a curve in the road? I guess if you live in Texas or some flat state, it is okay, but these cars aren't even drivable in my region. I'll take a good German car thanks and I don't need super excessive horse power, so I can tell my moron friends, that I have some big hp number under the hood. I think it is really getting silly.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I will never understand how cars like this are popular? I understood it back in the 1960's and 70's, but these cars are so outdated. Don't people want great handling in a car with that horsepower? Is everyone wanting to drag race and not go around a curve in the road? I guess if you live in Texas or some flat state, it is okay, but these cars aren't even drivable in my region. I'll take a good German car thanks and I don't need super excessive horse power, so I can tell my moron friends, that I have some big hp number under the hood. I think it is really getting silly.
Who said anything about no handling? Nobody said only straight line performance. Bringing back the GN name should mean performance in all categories, braking handling straight line etc.
All I'm saying is don't bring back the GN name and slap it on some pos 6 cylinder no power FWD family sedan with some graphics and plastic cladding to make it "sporty". Sort of don't **** on me and tell me it's raining.
I've always laughed at a manufacturer using iconic performance badging on some family sedan. Taking a family 4 door commuter and throwing a SS R/T badge doesn't mean performance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive