Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 07:11 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times

Advertisements

I'm currently shopping for a used SUV. I've noticed something disturbing.

All of the new/recent model SUVs look like a combination of a hatchback and a station wagon. Hence, they are all SUH(agons)s.

When SUVs were introduced to the market, they were based on old school military type jeeps but with the rough edges smoothed out for the consumer market. Even if one never went off road, the old SUVs were still rugged and looked like trucks.

If I want that old look, I have to look at substantially older models.

I've also noticed that ALL the newer SUVs (regardless of brand) all look the same. Take a look:

Hyundai Santa Fe: http://releasedatecars2016.com/wp-co...ta-Fe-Side.jpg

Honda CR-V: http://www.honda.ca/Content/honda.ca...&maxheight=445

Anyone else not a fan of the look of the newer SUVs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 07:58 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,976,844 times
I am with you. I think these "crossovers" are absolutely hideous.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:11 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
SUVs have always looked like station wagons to me.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:34 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
The crossovers replaced the station wagons for many manufacturers, and many are based on car platforms, not trucks. Some SUVs are truck-based, though they tend to be larger, such as the such as the Suburban/Yukon/Tahoe, Land Cruiser, G-wagen (not that big, but a truck), and Sequoia, for a few examples. A CRV is related to the Civic, while the Highlander/Venza are related to the Camry, etc. A key reason why the crossovers sell so well is that they handle like cars, not trucks, but have more cargo room, higher ride height, etc. when compared to sedans or even some related station wagons.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-02-2015, 10:35 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Wait for the 2016 Ford Bronco coming out this year.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:09 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The crossovers replaced the station wagons for many manufacturers, and many are based on car platforms, not trucks. Some SUVs are truck-based, though they tend to be larger, such as the such as the Suburban/Yukon/Tahoe, Land Cruiser, G-wagen (not that big, but a truck), and Sequoia, for a few examples. A CRV is related to the Civic, while the Highlander/Venza are related to the Camry, etc. A key reason why the crossovers sell so well is that they handle like cars, not trucks, but have more cargo room, higher ride height, etc. when compared to sedans or even some related station wagons.
I was around in the late 90s/early 2000s when all of the manufacturers were racing to make the biggest SUV possible. I appreciate that manufacturers are now making smaller SUVs.

I like that the newer, smaller SUVs drive like a car. I just want them to look like trucks again.

What's crazy is that manufacturers are charging SUV prices for what are essentially station wagons.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:28 AM

91 posts, read 112,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I would add gas mile age to that as well.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:48 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Wait for the 2016 Ford Bronco coming out this year.

That was a hoax, jaypee. It was an April fools joke started by FourWheeler Magazine/internet site.
The Bronco ain't coming back.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:40 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,304,779 times
I think wagon-type vechilces are making a comeback. Folks need the room, but not necessarily the height of an SUV.
Just my opinion (everyone has one, right?)

Old 05-03-2015, 09:33 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
CUV and most SUVs for years have been more of a station wagon/mini van mix than Sport Utility. The marketers figured out that many people (particularly men) need or want the features of a minivan, but don't want the stigma of driving a minivan, don't want the rougher ride and higher fuel costs of a real truck, hence the CUV. It's a butch minivan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive