Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 08:43 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
Dear friends,

I am looking for recommendations for car for myself. We are returning to the states after many years living abroad.....we mostly use public transportation so I know nothing about cars.
Here are some of the things I am hoping to find in a car:

I am a senior and will be taking frequent long road trips. Some of the trips will be in the snowy weather conditions so will need front wheel drive. I tire easily so will need a quiet car that will absorb bumps, and leave me feeling refreshed. Also hoping to find a reliable, small compact car that is fuel efficient. My ceiling in cost would be around $35000. I would prefer to spend a lot less and am open to buying a used car, so recommendation for used cars models that are reliable are also appreciated.
I will be driving only myself and possibly one other person so don't need a lot of room.....I'm not comfortable driving larger cars.....I do realize that larger cars are likely quieter and easier on the body but I really do need to drive a smaller, compact car....one that is likely sturdy and heavy. Great stereo sound system would also be a plus.
i don't care what the car looks like....mainly interested in a reliable car that won't leave me feeling exhausted after a long journey....quiet, smooth ride with comfortable seats.....a car that I would look forward to driving....responsive, fun, easy to drive are all plusses.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Hyundai makes great cars world over. You can check out Elantra, its a compact, fuel efficient vehicle around 25 mpg. And relatively maintenance free

In case of used you can look at Infiniti G35 or G37 for a better ride quality, but it has around 18-20 MPG. But for long drives , handling and comfort it a breeze. It comes with Bose sound system as well.

Other users suggesting C class, but it has too complex features whereas you looked for a simple and sturdy car.

(Please don't buy a Camry or CRV or Civic. You have 35 K )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 10:02 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Hyundai makes great cars world over. You can check out Elantra, its a compact, fuel efficient vehicle around 25 mpg. And relatively maintenance free

In case of used you can look at Infiniti G35 or G37 for a better ride quality, but it has around 18-20 MPG. But for long drives , handling and comfort it a breeze. It comes with Bose sound system as well.

Other users suggesting C class, but it has too complex features whereas you looked for a simple and sturdy car.

(Please don't buy a Camry or CRV or Civic. You have 35 K )
I'm getting 30 mpg around town in my 2015 Elantra and it is a very smooth ride.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:01 AM

699 posts, read 1,015,161 times
Gosh, so many great suggestions....thank you all. We will arrive stateside in mid June. My plan is to test drive as many of your suggestions as I can. I let you all know what I decide. And if anyone has any other thoughts, please weigh in.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:02 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
Dear friends,

I am looking for recommendations for car for myself. We are returning to the states after many years living abroad.....we mostly use public transportation so I know nothing about cars.
Here are some of the things I am hoping to find in a car:

I am a senior and will be taking frequent long road trips. Some of the trips will be in the snowy weather conditions so will need front wheel drive. I tire easily so will need a quiet car that will absorb bumps, and leave me feeling refreshed. Also hoping to find a reliable, small compact car that is fuel efficient. My ceiling in cost would be around $35000. I would prefer to spend a lot less and am open to buying a used car, so recommendation for used cars models that are reliable are also appreciated.
I will be driving only myself and possibly one other person so don't need a lot of room.....I'm not comfortable driving larger cars.....I do realize that larger cars are likely quieter and easier on the body but I really do need to drive a smaller, compact car....one that is likely sturdy and heavy. Great stereo sound system would also be a plus.
i don't care what the car looks like....mainly interested in a reliable car that won't leave me feeling exhausted after a long journey....quiet, smooth ride with comfortable seats.....a car that I would look forward to driving....responsive, fun, easy to drive are all plusses.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.
A used Toyota Prius. Or a Camry, slightly worse fuel efficiency but very comfortable and reliable.

Subaru Forester is a good mini-SUV that's OK on efficiency, very good handling in wintry conditions, and very safe, with a little extra room for trips.

Subcompacts aren't that great for long road trips, in my experience.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:01 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
I second/third the motion for a Toyota Corolla.

You want reliability? Mileage? Good price? There you go....

Old 05-20-2015, 02:24 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Just get your car undercoated. It's amazing how much that cuts down the road noise. Who knows, it might even protect it from rust.
No doubt you recommend Ziebart!

Old 05-20-2015, 02:48 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,392,303 times
My thoughts (all NEW vehicles not USED):

1. Toyota Avalon. This is a car that is hard to go wrong with. It's a bona fide highway cruiser with a sumptuous leather interior. A well-equipped model is well within your price range. Plenty of power from the beefy V6 and very smooth. Lots of cargo/passenger space.

2. Honda Accord EX-L/Touring. A fully-loaded Accord. 95% an Acura for 60% the money. Excellent foundation loaded up will all the features. Both V6 and I4 are great powerplants. Smooth, quiet, comfortable, really punches above its weight class.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:00 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
You want a car that will make long road trips, able to handle snow and heavy rain conditions.

With those requirements, do not get something like a Prius. They are good city cars but not when you get out in the country for long distance travel. Especially in winter, when the cold saps the battery so it really is only a gas powered vehicle. An electric of any kind, becomes very limited in snow country especially when mountains are involved.

With those requirements a front wheel drive is not the answer either. Get a 4 wheel drive, as they are the only way to travel in the winter in snow conditions. In the winter, we see 2 wheel drive cars all over the sides of the highway.

There are several models of AWD or 4X4 drive vehicles on the market. And if you are going to do winter snow mountain driving, put on STUDDED snow tires for safety. Otherwise you will come to where all cars need to chain up (put on tire chains) to be allowed to pass that point. I don't like chains except for a short distance. They tend to break on long drives and can do thousands of dollars in damages to your car.

There is one exemption. A 4X4 or AWD vehicle with studded snow tires. They do not have to do anything except keep driving. If you are going to do much travelling in snow conditions you want to be safe. You indicate you are not the best driver in the world, and you will find 4x4 or AWD studded snow tires a heck of a lot more forgiving than any thing else.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:56 AM

792 posts, read 2,874,602 times
Don't care about looks. Quiet. Comfortable. Reliable. Safe. Not too big. Under $35K. The OP is describing a Camry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive