Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 03:14 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times

Advertisements

Yes.

When I get into a vehicle, I do several things - flip on the lights, belt up, put the key in the ignition. I do not think about such things, but do them automatically. Because of this, I never forget to turn on the lights when it starts to rain, or at dusk (which is a very important time to have them on for visibility reasons, long before it's dark enough that one notices they aren't on).

As to the question of whether or not it is effective, I do not presume to simply know the answer. But there are numerous studies of the issue, and in total they conclude that 24-hour headlight use reaps substantial benefits.
http://www.dot.state.mn.us/govrel/re...011811_PDF.pdf

Is there a cost? Yes. Headlamps probably burn out somewhat sooner. And then there's the extra gasoline used - to the tune of less than a cent/vehicle/day.
How much extra gasoline would Americans use if daytime running lights were mandatory? - HowStuffWorks

Daytime headlights are a better deal than insurance (ie, in the long run the average motorist will pay less by using headlights 24/7, as opposed to actual insurance that eliminates the threat of large one-time payouts at a cost of the average motorist paying more than they will receive in payouts). The costs-benefit analysis on this one is pretty obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 05:31 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,230,590 times
In Canada you have no choice, DRL are wired into the ignition!

Old 05-21-2015, 05:56 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,272,279 times
Daytime runners here too; this is the first car I've owned that had them, and I like them a lot. I figure they are pretty standard now? Bought my car a few years ago (paid in full next month!) but the one before that was a 1997 and I turned the lights on a lot more often because of no DRLs, and because it was a grey car that blended in beautifully with the road.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:56 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,739,837 times
Yes. When I am in Alaska or Iceland it is usually required by law so I just do.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:12 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,217,290 times
My lights come on and turn off automatically when the ignition switch is turned. Great safety feature.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:41 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love the Sunshine View Post
That actually backs what I said. As an adult, try changing the headlight on a 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse. You need those tiny arms of a child to reach where the light bulbs go! Not at all practical placement for adult arms.

Oh yeah, I knew what to do, but my arm couldn't contort as needed for that feat.

Thankfully I've since upgraded from that car, but must admit I'm still not into car repairs. With my current ride, the non-standard wiper blades pose the new challenge. Nope, not gonna mess with it. I buy them and then watch the Auto Zone guys struggle to figure it out each and every time.
Ha ha! My kids are 20-somethings and full grown adult males, so they certainly do not have "those tiny arms of a child"! They've been full size since they turned 14 or 15, so .....

Old 05-22-2015, 08:18 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
technology today... welcome. They're even in Hyundai's, come on now.

The only times I've touched my light switch is after state inspections when the guy flips it off auto for testing things.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:05 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
I have daytime running lights and my lights are set to automatic so they go on when they need to.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:49 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,144,504 times
I turn mine on all the time while driving. This way if some fool pulls out in front of me, they have very little recourse in court when I tell the cop and judge that MY lights were on and they have NO reason why hey didn't see me. Especially since we seem to be having a huge problem these days with people running red lights and stop signs.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:48 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times
My Silverado turns on my lights after 30 seconds if the wipers are on. So, if raining, I have my lights on. If pulling my trailer, I turn on the lights for two reasons. One, helps the bozos behind me to see the big white trailer and hopefully, not tail gate, and with the side clearance lights, helps someone I pass to see that I have a trailer behind me so they don't pull out too soon to pass too. (And with the lights on, the vehicle's generator power management is bypassed so I get a high current flow to the trailer's batteries.)

Other than that, DRLs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive