Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 10:17 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,039,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
You speed up, complete your pass, and pull to the right when you clear the fourth truck.
It's illegal to speed up if you're already at the limit.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:21 AM

8,360 posts, read 6,446,227 times
80 is the defacto speed limit on southern Calif. freeways, your a hazard on the road if you drive slower in the left lane. I was just in Oregon and boy they sure drive slow there.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:28 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,480,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Really? Then why do so many states keep passing these laws? Is it because they are beginning to recognize that impeding the flow of traffic is as dangerous as, if not more so, than speeding?
I can speak for NC in that the law is designed to discourage those who get into the left lane, cruise at the same speed as those in the right lane, and will not speed up or slow down to get back into the right lane if someone else is trying to pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Apparently, you are the only one confused by this.

Are you speeding? Yes? Then you can get a ticket.

Are you impeding the flow of traffic in the left hand lane, regardless of your speed? Yes? Then you can also receive a ticket.

See how simple that is? The law is designed to take into account as many facets of driving as possible. It's not that complicated, and it's certainly not "mares' nest" (what in the hell is that, anyway?) in court. It's very straightforward.
It simply comes down to this: What is your intent for being in the left lane? If you're going the same speed as the traffic in the right, you're obviously not making an attempt to pass which would impede the faster traffic in the left lane.

I do understand the questions about the speed though. Just to be clear, the law would not give speeders in the left lane a free pass. If you're speeding, you're speeding. Doesn't matter if your intent is to pass the right lane traffic. If the slower guy in front of you is making an effort to pass the right lane traffic, all the while maintaining the speed limit, that guy is not in violation of impeding the flow of traffic.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:31 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,989,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
This law needs to be apply nationally, especially here in the bay area. Clogging up the left lane should be illegal. Kudos to the state of Indiana.

Should we punish drivers who dawdle in the left lane?
OMG, this is awesome! The Germans drive this way and I've known for years this is the correct way to drive. This should free up traffic on the Indiana highways tremendously!

Old 06-03-2015, 10:31 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,480,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
meh just get over when you see the speedy gonzalez's coming. Makes them think they're gonna make it on time (when they could have just left earlier in the first place). Then when you meet them at the red light intersection at the exit look over and smile
I've seen this so many times. I'll be in the process of passing a line of slow traffic in the right lane, look up and see this car like a bat out of hell coming straight for my backside without slowing down, and then a few miles down the road when we get into heavier traffic, he's stuck in a lane where he can't get over and I've long passed him.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:32 AM

520 posts, read 532,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
80 is the defacto speed limit on southern Calif. freeways, your a hazard on the road if you drive slower in the left lane. I was just in Oregon and boy they sure drive slow there.
Oh man, total agreement. Oregon drivers are unbelievably slow on the interstates. I have a theory as to why. Those slowpokes kept their interstate speed limit at 55 when almost everybody else increased theirs after the national speed limit was repealed. It's my guess as to why they drive like they're retarded now.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:44 AM

2,068 posts, read 1,001,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
It's illegal to speed up if you're already at the limit.
If you're at the limit, why are you passing?

Old 06-03-2015, 11:23 AM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Yes, both speeding and impeding the flow of traffic are against the law (and always have been near as I can find out). I suggest you read the article I linked to.

This law is not long for this world if, indeed, it is intended, as one legisator pointed out, to make the law abiding person driving the speed limit the criminal. It also creates a serious conflict between two parts of the traffic code that will make the attorneys' pocketbooks really really happy until it is resolved.

Is the speed limit the speed limit, or is it not if you want to go really really fast in the left lane? If the speed limit law is overruled by the slower traffic keep right law, why can't the slower traffic keep right law be overruled by the speed limit law so that the slower traffic keep right law only counts if you're going slower than the speed limit? See how that works and how it will make a mares' nest in court?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:46 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,265,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
If you're at the limit, why are you passing?
Had you considered the possibility that others aren't driving at the limit? Are you also not aware that many states have lower speed limits for trucks than for cars?

Old 06-03-2015, 12:03 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,912,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I do love that about Southern California. I am rarely in the passing lane (there is no such thing as the fast lane) because there would be no reason for me to go faster than the 75+mph generally being maintained in the travel lanes, also the CHP is quite lenient as long as you are following proper lane behavior and just keeping up with the flow. My car does 150mph and handles very well but I'm quite comfortable and feel safer just hanging with the fast enough crowd- doesn't bother me a bit if others driving as if in Germany (with all that caveat entails) are utilizing the passing lane at faster speeds than me regardless of the posted speed limit.

I will say that in my experience Indiana is the last place I would put myself as a target to ever be in the passing lane for any amount of time. On a cross country trip last spring that was the state that stuck out in my mind with the most aggressive patrolling and police cruiser presence- I've never seen so many cops hiding under nearly every underpass in the median!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive