Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 08:51 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,113,665 times

Advertisements

I have a black car, never again. Every scratch, ding or paint chip sticks out like a sore thumb. It's older and the biggest issue is the accumulated paint chips, the primer is white so they show like a sore thumb. I have no idea why they wouldn't use black primer. Currently going over with a paint pen but there is a lot of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 08:54 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,349,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
I have a black truck, wish I had never got it! Don't like white either! Green is for 2 things, grass and money! Having said that, and to answer your question, Id stay with the white.
Yeah but since the Op has written off blue and Red then outside of Silver not many decent colours to choose from unless they go with something crazy like burnt orange which is a risk since it might not be a popular colour a few years down the road to own and effect resale value.

The Ram 1500 Daytona look amazing in Hemi Orange to bad Chrysler dropped the colour but it still looks nice and holds up well today IMO.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:21 AM

24,543 posts, read 17,291,517 times
Go white Black is too hard to keep clean. I had a black truck for 9 years and I was always cleaning it.
Black is black and when clean it looks very sharp but it also shows every imperfection scratch and dings.

There are many shades of white and even when dirty it still looks white. Years ago I worked for a mobile washing company and most of the fleets we serviced had vehicles that were white. The darker coloured vehicles looked filthy after a week on the road.

My neighbor has a brand new GMC pickup in white and it looks slick with the chrome and tinted windows.

Go white.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:29 AM

81 posts, read 98,384 times
Go white. I have a white suv and don't regret it.

Nothing beats a torch red in a sports car or zippy compact.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:15 AM

45,501 posts, read 60,718,893 times
Also, studies show that white is the safest color.

And there is insight to your personality:

What Does Your Car Color Say About Your Personality?

Old 06-07-2015, 02:04 PM

20,298 posts, read 37,237,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Also, studies show that white is the safest color.

And there is insight to your personality:

What Does Your Car Color Say About Your Personality?
All depends on where you live. For example, white is hard to see in "snow country," unless you drive with the lights on all the time. Silver may be popular, but in accordance to an insurance company in Alaska, automobiles of this color are involved in an unusual number of traffic accidents.

The OP should just choose whichever color he (or she?) likes, and park under a shelter as told by another poster above. My favorite colors are black and silver, but right now I have a red truck plus a red car, and am happy with both. My wife has a sort of dark green (Pearl Green) Toyota SUV that looks sort of green when sunny, and nearly black with a hint of purple during the winter when there is no sunlight.

Last edited by RayinAK; 06-07-2015 at 02:21 PM..

Old 06-07-2015, 05:04 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,254,928 times
When we were last in the market for a pickup, we were first looking for a used one. There are many work trucks in our area that are used hard in the oil patch that are typically white, so I recall telling a used car salesman that I'd be fine with any color except white. We finally gave up on finding a good used one and bought a new one -- white. I had it for 15 years, and it sat in the driveway every night (too big for garage). I washed it fairly regularly but never did wax it. It still looked great after 15 years. I traded it for a new white car.

I've had several black cars over the years, usually garaged, and they were all very difficult to keep looking showroom new, even with regular waxings. Black looks good if the finish is clean and perfect, but keeping it that way is a major pain. My last black car had swirl marks from dusting it in the showroom. Dealer said he could fix it, but he couldn't. He finally gave me a partial refund ($1500 or $2000) because he couldn't fix it. (Also offered to take the car back.) White would have never shown the faults. I'd recommend white over black.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:50 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,936,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinmo View Post
I am about to purchase a new pickup truck...I have a deposit on white one. I have a choice of white or black, they both look great on the lot (of course). I am trading in a black one I have had for 13 years so was thinking of a color change. I am not cool with blue or red or silver.

My big concern is the truck is not garaged, and I have a tree filled yard, road and driveway. The darn gpsy moth worms (or whatever they are) eat the leaves of the trees and crap these black miniature crapballs all over everything....looks like coarse ground pepper. For this reason, I am thinking of calling the dealer and switching to black.

Of course the yellow pollen from the trees is an issue with black, but that's easier to hose off then the crap.

What do you think, call and switch to black?
Cut the tree down, or at least fumigate it.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:03 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,292,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
All depends on where you live. For example, white is hard to see in "snow country," unless you drive with the lights on all the time. Silver may be popular, but in accordance to an insurance company in Alaska, automobiles of this color are involved in an unusual number of traffic accidents.

The OP should just choose whichever color he (or she?) likes, and park under a shelter as told by another poster above. My favorite colors are black and silver, but right now I have a red truck plus a red car, and am happy with both. My wife has a sort of dark green (Pearl Green) Toyota SUV that looks sort of green when sunny, and nearly black with a hint of purple during the winter when there is no sunlight.
RE: silver cars and accident rates. Makes perfect sense. If practically all the cars on the road are silver, most of the cars in accidents are silver. I swear most of the cars are silver here...

Old 06-08-2015, 01:27 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,263,086 times
Totally vote for BLACK! I know white is the "safest" color. I worked for a company for years and our company cars were white, largely for that reason. Boring, boring, boring! And I was only in my 30s at the time. I have never bought a white car for myself and never will.

Black, OTOH, makes a very bold statement. If you have a problem tree and can't park elsewhere, spring for a good car wash every week and your Black Beauty will gleam in the sun. White cars never gleam, they just sit there like lumps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive