Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 09:56 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,992,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK360 View Post
PS2 are $203/e for fronts and $430/e for the rears, PSS are $194/e for the fronts and $363/e for the rears.

I paid $175/e for my fronts and the rears bounce between $211/e-$248/e.

I abuse the hell out of my tires at HPDE and AutoX, these tires have been over 1.0g sustained on our local track, I have no need to change a good thing just for a certain brand or because of popularity.
Interesting. I was seeing 1.2 to 1.3g on Ps2 zp but it wasn't in sustained sweepers. Different vehicle though. Sounds like you've got a good solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 09:58 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,992,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
I believe I've discovered why you're corvettes weren't reliable. I've highlighted those reasons in red.
Seriously though. I've owned two corvettes (daily drivers) and other than routine maintenance, they were no less reliable than most cars.
When I went to spring mountain in 2011 they had yet to lose anything on a c6z except one clutch, I believe. The z06 I drove there had almost 20k miles on it. On the track and paddock.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:56 PM

269 posts, read 535,197 times
I had a 2003 and bought a '09 new. 2 different cars. But I wouldn't get the early C6. I'd rather have a 03-4 over a 05-6. I now have a 09 Z06 and that'll be my last vette. It is without a doubt the best bang for your buck you'll find. Don't buy into the Porsche someone mentioned. They have lots of issues with affordable Porsche's. That's why they are affordable. If I was looking at vette, I'd look for '09 or newer. With the C7 such a hit, they are coming down in price.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,273 times
like the c4 myself simpler but digital instument cluster a pain when they go bad

Old 01-17-2016, 06:10 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
My one Son has a 2003 Zo6 but it only has about 30,000 miles on it. He has only had to do regular maintenance and a couple of batteries over the years. Great car. One night I had to run an errand and he told me to take it instead of my car. Damn ! I see why he loves it now. My hot rod is quick, but the vette revs forever and that 6 speed is fun to drive.

I would say look for a well cared for, low mileage car and you will be fine.

Don

Old 01-17-2016, 09:03 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,392,303 times
Actually Corvettes tend to be very reliable. They are almost always rarely driven and religiously maintained. The cars themselves are well put together too, GM V8s are pretty bulletproof.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:26 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I currently have a 2014 Subaru BRZ, which I love the drive of but have about had it with it's problems and issues. (Mostly related to unrelenting transmission problems, even after replacement of the whole transmission). I am thinking of getting out of it and struggling a little to find something I would want and like to drive. (I am awfully picky about how my sports cars ride/drive and what visibility they offer).

Along those lines, I have always had my eye on Corvettes. At the moment, it is close to all alone in sports cars I would really love to have at this point and as such is a potential target for me in terms of replacing the BRZ.

However, I have some concerns. I am looking for something of similar price to the BRZ at this point, and that seems to be putting me in the 2003-2006 range of Corvettes (end of the C5, beginning of the C6).

Since the newest of these Corvettes are 10 years old, I am wondering how ultimately reliable they are. The end of the run C5's do not seem to be nearly as good of a value for dollar, mostly due to their age and relative lack of refinement and update the C6 offers. Plus, I have found, a very good condition 2004 C5costs about the same (at least in asking price) as a similar 2005 C6. Both have some reported issues which are common. I would be going for lower mileage (likely 20's to 30's tops).

Am I just asking for reliability headaches here? How are these cars really to own at this age?
C5's have a few gremlin's, but nothing too serious. Mostly HVAC issues, the control heads, about $100 on EBay, blend door actuators, about the same, and headlight motor drive gears. Removable roof panels leak if you take it to a car wash.

Engine drivetrain and suspension are great. They are amazing performance cars and are usually able to do far more than most people are capable of. Where else are you going to find a true 180mph car for under 15K?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive