Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2015, 01:50 AM

477 posts, read 510,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
<snippage>
I see people going the speed limit in the FAST LANE. (Yeah -- that's wrong, too.)
<other snippage>
No, its not. The speed limit applies to ALL lanes. There is no special dispensation to speed in any lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 01:56 AM

477 posts, read 510,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Their insurance rates are lower because seniors comprise one hell of a voting block at the polls, that's why. Also political correctness.
Nonsense. The insurance rates are lower because actuarial tables prove that their accident rates are lower.

The age brackets with the 3 highest rates of accidents do not include either the under 19 group or the over 75 group.

They are the 20-24 year olds, the 25 to 34 year olds, and the 35 to 44 year olds. This matches up well with the folks I see tailgating me all the way to the next red light.

Y'all look to be about due for an insurance rate hike.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:17 AM

21,921 posts, read 25,248,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
Nonsense. The insurance rates are lower because actuarial tables prove that their accident rates are lower.

The age brackets with the 3 highest rates of accidents do not include either the under 19 group or the over 75 group.

They are the 20-24 year olds, the 25 to 34 year olds, and the 35 to 44 year olds. This matches up well with the folks I see tailgating me all the way to the next red light.

Y'all look to be about due for an insurance rate hike.
They also don't drive very much. The 65+ demographic drives half of what the 25-55 group does. Not sure what the 75+ group is, but I'd guess it's a quarter or less.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:46 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,817,550 times
What really gets me are the drivers that stop half a car length or more before a 4 way stop instead of stopping at the designated point, then honk at me because I made the stop where I was supposed to before them and therefore go before them.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:45 AM

19,104 posts, read 27,696,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoeater View Post
1) Driving incredibly slow, and subsequently changing lanes incredibly slowly, does not mean you are driving safely. It is proper to accelerate into a lane change.

2) putting on your turn single for 0.00002 seconds after 90% of your vehicle has already changed lanes (slowly) is not an acceptable manner in which to indicate that you are changing lanes. You may as well not put the signal on at all if this is your tactic.

I hope this PSA was helpful.

Your pal,

Tacoeater

1. You'll eventually get there and become same, you know that, right? Or, it's a novel insight for you?
2. "elderly"? Is that the fact? I could easily name another dozen of drivers categories that do same or worse, but I'll be banned from this forum for being racist or sexist or rude, or a lot other things.

When I get older, losing my hair, many years from now
Will you still be sending me a valentine, birthday greetings, bottle of wine?
If I'd been out 'til quarter to three, would you lock the door?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm sixty-four?

You'll be older too
Ah
And, if you say the word, I could stay with you

I could be handy, mending a fuse, when your lights have gone
You can knit a sweater by the fireside, Sunday mornings, go for a ride
Doing the garden, digging the weeds, who could ask for more?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm sixty-four?

Every summer we can rent a cottage
In the Isle of Wight if it's not too dear
We shall scrimp and save
Ah
Grandchildren on your knee
Vera, Chuck, and Dave

Send me a postcard, drop me a line, stating point of view
Indicate precisely what you mean to say, yours sincerely, wasting away
Give me your answer, fill in a form, mine forever more
Will you still need me, will you still feed me when I'm sixty-four?

Songwriters
Paul Mc Cartney;John Lennon

[LEFT]
Read more: Beatles - When I'm 64 Lyrics | MetroLyrics
[/LEFT]

Old 07-20-2015, 10:10 AM

281 posts, read 369,161 times
Quote:
2) putting on your turn single for 0.00002 seconds after 90% of your vehicle has already changed lanes (slowly) is not an acceptable manner in which to indicate that you are changing lanes. You may as well not put the signal on at all if this is your tactic.
I see far more 20-30 YO Rico Suaves doing this than old people. The old people in my experience are more likely to put their indicators on ten seconds before changing lanes and wait for a written invitation.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:37 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
No, its not. The speed limit applies to ALL lanes. There is no special dispensation to speed in any lane.
In California, if traffic is moving at 75, and you get into the fast lane and pull back to 65, you are impeding the flow of traffic and can be cited for doing so. It's called the Basic Speed Law.

I'm guessing not all states do this.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:37 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,687,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
I would say going to work is more important then going fishing, or shopping, or to FcDonalds to sip coffee for hours. After all, social security checks are important to these elderly people, yes ? They might think of that and be a little more aware on the roads.
I am so thankful that you do rush to work and pay your taxes so I can have my well earned Social Security checks. I am also thankful that you enjoy the roads and highways we paid for while you are still in diapers. Many of those kids ranting about seniors should know that they may not live long enough to become a senior with such poor driving skills. Adults should learn to plan for their commute time and leave accordingly so as not to blame those people who have earned and kept the right drive as we see appropriate.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:38 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloppyRunner View Post
I see far more 20-30 YO Rico Suaves doing this than old people. The old people in my experience are more likely to put their indicators on ten seconds before changing lanes and wait for a written invitation.
Or just drive with them on because they no longer hear them.... (I no longer hear mine , I do this A LOT)

Old 07-20-2015, 11:08 AM

88,701 posts, read 85,080,510 times
Quote:
1) Driving incredibly slow, and subsequently changing lanes incredibly slowly, does not mean you are driving safely. It is proper to accelerate into a lane change.

I hope this PSA was helpful.

Your pal,

Tacoeater
OH LORD, I wish you'd have been in my car yesterday. I was two cars behind someone at a left turn green arrow signal that led to a major highway. The light turns. I wait. I wait. That green arrow is only going to be there a few seconds more. I'm in my car alone, saying out loud, "You can go now..." and ever so slowly, the driver begins to turn and I see it's some old woman who can barely see over the steering wheel...I'm saying, "Yes, that's it, now just push down a little bit harder on that pedal and we can ALL get through this light." Followed her down the ramp, at the bottom of which she comes to a dead stop. Just stops. Bottom of a long ramp leading to a busy highway. STOPS. DEAD.

Finally, she inched up enough that the car behind her and my car could get around her and get onto the highway and be gone. For all I know, she's still there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive