Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 12:47 PM

8,156 posts, read 3,678,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I am completely overwhelmed into a total standstill. I am trying to find a car that is fast and handles great but also has cargo room/hatchback and I cannot find this car. I tested the Volvo V60 wagon and the transmission was jerky, although the car is fast and comfy (however interior is crappy). I tested the BMW X1 and that car handles pretty bad. I tried to test a VW Sportwagen and was ignored at the dealer so I left; then I read it has a 170hp engine, too slow for me anyway.

No dealer has a 328i wagon that I can test ("we dont ever have them b/c they don't sell").

I am at a loss. Meanwhile I have to keep driving my Outback, which I hate.

I am just googling "luxury wagons" and "sports cars that can haul stuff" on a daily basis, trying to find this car that nobody has made yet.

So, just out of curiosity - which X1 model did you test and what were the issues with the handling?

I personally think it handles great, and I'm comparing with e46 3 series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 12:51 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
I don't know what model it was, sorry. The steering was loosy goosy and the acceleration was slow. I was also astonished that it did not have AC vents in the rear. As soon as I drove it I told the sales guy, um, we can turn around, this car I do not like. Then he wanted me to try the 3 series GT hatchback, but it started to rain so I left.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:12 PM

8,156 posts, read 3,678,584 times
Quote:
I don't know what model it was, sorry. The steering was loosy goosy and the acceleration was slow. I was also astonished that it did not have AC vents in the rear. As soon as I drove it I told the sales guy, um, we can turn around, this car I do not like. Then he wanted me to try the 3 series GT hatchback, but it started to rain so I left.

Looks like you tested the sdrive 28i which (like almost all new bmws) has the dreaded EPS... But the xdrive (noth 28i and 35i) have the old hydraulic steering. With 2016 model it will be gone. About the power, I don't know, 28i seems more than plenty. Much more than my old 3.

Yep, the vents situation is not the best, but actually there are vents under the front seats.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:21 PM

Yeah he did tell me the X1 is new for 2016.......

Old 08-19-2015, 04:51 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,713,970 times
go for the volvo. less expensive to maintain, safer, more reliable, and more durable.
plus you wouldnt be just another bmw/audi driver on the road like everyone else.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:22 AM

430 posts, read 639,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
go for the volvo. less expensive to maintain, safer, more reliable, and more durable.
plus you wouldnt be just another bmw/audi driver on the road like everyone else.
I bought a Volvo and I won't buy another one. It's a FWD car with a small 2.5L turbocharged engine and I'm getting 18mpg. On a perfectly flat highway at 55mph it will get 30mpg, but if there is just a slight uphill slope, or the mildest "city" driving like a quiet 45mph side road, your mileage plummets. It's getting the same gas mileage you get with a huge 4WD SUV... Why the hell am I driving a FWD car if it's so inefficient? Why am I not driving a BMW? Volvos are a compromise where you actually get nothing in return. No it's not safer than a BMW or Mercedes according to the safety ratings.

The one and only good thing about Volvos is that you look like a nonconformist.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:32 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
This is true. I never realized it until you posted this, but there really are no older Audis on the road.
In the NYC area where I live, the area is saturated with German luxury cars. You will see older BMWs and Mercedes here and there, but an older Audi is indeed a rare sight.
The lack of older (10+ years) Audi vehicles isn't a rarity issue. It's a matter of production numbers. BMW and Mercedes also have a much longer standing brand reputation, where Audi only gained traction 10 years ago. Example: In 2000, some 650,000 Audi cars were produced. In 2012, that number jumped to 1.5 million.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:43 AM

I like everything about the Volvo v60 wagon except the laggy transmission and the boring interior. It does however have great acceleration and the seats are out of this world comfy. I am also testing the 328 wagon, the audi allroad, and some crossovers

Old 08-25-2015, 11:33 AM

121 posts, read 469,698 times
Quote:
I am completely overwhelmed into a total standstill. I am trying to find a car that is fast and handles great but also has cargo room/hatchback and I cannot find this car. I tested the Volvo V60 wagon and the transmission was jerky, although the car is fast and comfy (however interior is crappy). I tested the BMW X1 and that car handles pretty bad. I tried to test a VW Sportwagen and was ignored at the dealer so I left; then I read it has a 170hp engine, too slow for me anyway.

No dealer has a 328i wagon that I can test ("we dont ever have them b/c they don't sell").

I am at a loss. Meanwhile I have to keep driving my Outback, which I hate.

I am just googling "luxury wagons" and "sports cars that can haul stuff" on a daily basis, trying to find this car that nobody has made yet.
I just got a Infiniti EX35 for thousands less than the brands you mentioned. my criteria was the same as yours and I was looking to buy a 2013 Audi All Road but the price was really high, out of warranty and the turbo engine ($$$) had me worried. I wasn't planning on getting the EX35 but then I drove it.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:30 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
The E-Class Mercedes would be a good wagon, but for the price. My other suggestion would be the oddball, yet practical Audi A7, but it is a premium price, much like the E-Class wagons. What about an Audi Q5? You can get one that is peppy and handles pretty well for a crossover. The Porsche Macan, however, would be the smaller crossover that would tick all the wants, but starts in the $50s. The 328 wagon is also a good vehicle to compare as is the Allroad. The V60 depends upon trim level as the base model has the 2.0L engine and an 8-speed transmission, whereas the T5 has the venerable 2.5L engine and a six-speed auto and the T6 has more hp and the 6-speed auto transmission. The six speed transmission tends to perform much better, and has been in use in the S60 sedan. The Polestar is a limited edition wagon that is sold out, I believe.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive