Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 09:07 PM

173 posts, read 165,251 times

Advertisements

To the defense of butt boy:

Look at that picture with guy with his pants around his boxers (butt boy). We all here have no idea about the guys work ethic we just have the impression of his personal taste in dress. Which appears to be comfortable.

For all we know that guy might be the most reliable and conscientious worker on the line.

If we had a picture of another worker in a crisp polo and slacks the snap judgement being made on this thread would be that is an excellent worker. He may also be one of the workers who likes to get drunk and high on lunch break and feels the best way to hide it is to just look better off then his peers. Truth is we do not know based on look.

Chrysler workers canned for drinking on the job reinstated | Fox News

I think that's the problem here in the impression. We are talking about factory workers. Not suit and tie guys. The business and union agreed to allow them to dress this way. So they are allowed to dress to their preference. A lot of the comments are peoples personal bias. When the accurate impressions should be why didn't the company have enough foresight to at least require overalls. Then again the companies in question have already made a long track record of poor decision making.

The real problem I have with all of this is. In auto hauling of new cars a lot of the manufactures had mandatory rules for handling their freight. Chains, certain hooks, straps only etc.

For example one that stands out was safety vests. We worked out of a terminal that didn't require workers to dawn a safety vest. Some of the ones we worked did. Some didn't. Other auto hauling companies made it mandatory for drivers and ours didn't.

However, a very tight and strict auto manufacture required it as rule regardless of the port or the trucking company. If you got into their vehicles, moved their vehicles, loaded, unloaded at dealerships. You must have a vest on. If someone from corporate or another company had a bone to pick with you this could be enough cause for them to suspend your ability to move their freight.

This company also wouldn't allow you to wear jeans, or at anytime have a personal phone on you while you operating their vehicles.

More importantly I am just recalling there was a crack down by one the big 3 and they wanted drivers to not have their phones on their person or wear jeans, studded belts etc. Being they were so concerned for their product not to be slashed, stabbed or poked. So I find it odd they are not required to wear a form of uniform on the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 11:41 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,950,515 times
Just to be fair and no confusion here, sport cars, like Chevrolet Corvette and Porcshes, are the high-end American quality, since they have different levels of management, craftsmanship, and quality. Some of these assembly workers may be huge Corvette fans, and they LOVE building Corvettes, so they build them with pride, despite their baggy pants they're wearing to work.

Some low-end quality union workers I can think of are GM's Lordstown Chevrolet Cruze plant (the worst I think) and Ford's Kansas City F-150 plant (they build trucks too fast and left loose screws). I own a 2008 F-150 built in Kansas City, and I had to bring it back 3 times during warranty to tighten screws and tight loose shield plates.

Last edited by waltchan; 08-21-2015 at 01:02 AM..

Old 08-21-2015, 07:35 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,112,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Wizard View Post
Personally, I'll take a slob who does impeccable work
Well, your experiences have been different than mine, because I've never in my life met a slob who does impeccable work, or impeccable anything.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:59 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,909,271 times
People think that cars made in Japan are more reliable, but I think that Japan, USA, & Canada all are basically the same. I'd be wary of Mexico (unless the plant has been there for a long time and has a good rep) and China (stay away for now).

Old 08-21-2015, 08:10 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,455,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notbriancho View Post
I know you can tell if a car is made in Japan by looking at the VIN number. However, can anyone comment on the quality differences between Japanese cars that are made in Japan versus those made in USA and Canada?
Considering Buick for instance is a much more reliable car than a Toyota it is not black and white

Old 08-22-2015, 11:49 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,848,088 times
Is there a USA manufacturer who offers a FWD compact or economy car or mini-suv, 4cyl equipped, that will last me 400,000 miles with only normal maintenance? To include electronics.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:46 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
My wife has owned and driven both Toyota and Honda made in Japan and US and all were really reliable. She has driven 3 for ten years each with zero problems only maintenance.They also held their value well for a car when we sold them.

Last edited by texdav; 08-22-2015 at 09:57 PM..

Old 08-23-2015, 01:17 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,138,041 times
The longest I drove my Detroit cars was five years. They all started giving problems that were too expensive and labor intensive about that time. I keep my Japanese cars a bit longer! I have owned my 1993 Nissan truck 22 years, and my 2005 Corolla ten years. I have put way less repairs in the truck in the past 22 years than I put in my Detroit vehicles in five or less. My Corolla has cost me no money in repairs. It's needed just two sets of tires and two batteries. I traded in a 1985 Nissan Sentra on my truck that only needed a new muffler after eight years of excellent service. I traded it in only because I wanted a truck!

Old 12-10-2015, 10:17 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,444,149 times
Mine is Japanese, made in Japan.

I'd prefer the same thing for any future cars I own.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:55 AM

899 posts, read 1,016,309 times
I would also think that the cars made in Japan would have better quality, though my 2006 Odyssey has an American made transmission that still works well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive