Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 12:39 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times

Advertisements

We just bought a new car. There's a midget key inside the "key" to unlock the doors. Got that part - but what unlocks the ignition?

If the battery is dead so the "thingamabob" doesn't unlock the doors, what/how do you start the car when you try to jump it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 12:51 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,383,184 times
In many cars, the same midget key can be used to start the car.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:28 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,027,614 times
Depends on the car. Many have a sensor thingymajiggy in the head of the key fob that will still activate the push button starter thingy, with a dead battery, if you use it to push the button. Give it a shot, take out the battery on the fob and push the end of it (opposite the keyring) into the start button and see if it works. And even if it does it's probably a good idea to keep a spare battery in the car. Tell us the make and model and we could be more help.

If you meant a dead car battery, it shouldn't be a problem to just jump start it normally.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:52 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,380,359 times
If your key FOB goes dead, there is usually a slot you can slide the whole thing in and push it to start the car. As stated, if the car battery is dead, and you need a jump start....hook up the cables, and push the button as you normally would.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:40 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
I think keyless ignition is a misnomer. The key instead of being in the ignition is in your pocket. There is still a key. Now, if you iPhone did the same thing then I would say it is keyless.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:50 PM

5,674 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
We just bought a new car. There's a midget key inside the "key" to unlock the doors. Got that part - but what unlocks the ignition?

If the battery is dead so the "thingamabob" doesn't unlock the doors, what/how do you start the car when you try to jump it?

Did your new car not come with an owners manual?

Old 08-23-2015, 07:00 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,824,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
If your key FOB goes dead, there is usually a slot you can slide the whole thing in and push it to start the car. As stated, if the car battery is dead, and you need a jump start....hook up the cables, and push the button as you normally would.
How would you get in the car to pop the hood as cars nowadays usually don't have door key holes.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:59 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
How would you get in the car to pop the hood as cars nowadays usually don't have door key holes.
Has to be a way. For example, looks like a VW it's hidden under a cover.

This is one of things you want to read the manual, don't be like that guy died stuck inside the Corvette with dead battery becsue he didn't know how to unlock the doors manually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OECOoNYZXmk

This brings up another point, I know on my parents new Toyota the keyholes are exposed. Might be a good idea to work them once a year and spray a little lubricant into them.Liable to be a few years down the road, you'll need and it and the damn thing will be frozen.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:10 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Yes, there's a car manual - but I didn't see my question answered in it.

I also think I didn't explain my question well - the dead battery would be the car. You see, I have a tendency to leave doors not completely closed and find a drained car battery so I'm anticipating.

There is a key inside the car "key" thing for opening the doors.

There is no "start" button, one turns the thing in the ignition square hole.

The car is a 2015 Grand Caravan.

And thanks for the answers so far.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:12 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,287 times
If purchasing a car that has been advertised at $14,900 such as a Toyota the final price will be $21,200 The advertising on every ad every TV special all no strings attached you must add $4-5k because its a scam protected by a "real" "starting" price. Then from there it's reality TV !!! Semi-false ppaper ads .My suggestion bring a lawyer and insist that you walk out with a bumper to bumper warantee , taxes , and in some states property tax, have them pay for tag. Final price $14,900 not a penny more!!!! Don't hold your breath sucker. ( read the asterisks before even going to a dealer). Oops wrong thread!!! Sorry meant automotive .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive