Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 09:09 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,774,436 times

Advertisements

Lately I've been talking with people about newer vehicles and some of the stories have been appalling. One lady said that a headlight replacement cost her over $200 because they had to take off many of the front end components to access the headlight bulb.

It got me thinking - even "new" cargo vans still use the old-style rectangular sealed-beam headlight units that were so popular on vehicles from about 1975 through 1990. The "passenger" variants of those vans have newer-style headlights with a fancy replaceable bulb hidden behind a model-specific plastic lens. My initial hypothesis is that the commercial-style vehicles that still use these older-style headlights do so because it's far easier and less expensive to replace a $10.00 sealed-beam headlight than it is to do a replacement job on a headlight that would cost many times that much if the work were done at a dealership.

Is this true? Are these cargo vans and the like engineered for ease and cheapness of repair, on the demand of the business owners who buy the vehicles? Or is there a different reason that I'm not yet considering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 09:15 AM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Huh?

Old 09-12-2015, 10:25 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
There is a bit of a cargo van renissance going on right now, stalwarts like the Ford E-Series and Chevy Express are being replaced in favor of things like the Ford Transit and the Fiat van pictured above.

The older style van stuck with these lights because they were cheap and easy to replace. However, at providing light they are so-so. The newer vans have better lights, but they are more expensive to replace.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:43 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I drive a cargo van and nobody has designed it for cheapness of maintenance and repair. The engine is designed so that the spark plugs are inaccessible. The dog house has to be removed and even then parts are not acessable. Last tuneup cost me $600 because it is so labor intensive. The mechanic told me he'd be just as happy if I didn't bring it back.

My son, who does all the mechanical work for our family, refuses to work on the van if it involves trying g to get into the engine compartment.

I need a cargo van so I've spoken to owners of other brands and they all say that tuneup are difficult and expensive. So switching to a different brand doesn't help.

I haven't had a headlamp changed yet so I don't know if that is simple. Difficulty of repairs can easily be judged by the amount of cussing coming from the shop and how bad the words are.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:21 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
One more reason to keep my 1985 G20 Chevrolet Van...

Thirty years and still going strong... and too much custom equipment to transfer should I make a change.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:04 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Lately I've been talking with people about newer vehicles and some of the stories have been appalling. One lady said that a headlight replacement cost her over $200 because they had to take off many of the front end components to access the headlight bulb.

It got me thinking - even "new" cargo vans still use the old-style rectangular sealed-beam headlight units that were so popular on vehicles from about 1975 through 1990. The "passenger" variants of those vans have newer-style headlights with a fancy replaceable bulb hidden behind a model-specific plastic lens. My initial hypothesis is that the commercial-style vehicles that still use these older-style headlights do so because it's far easier and less expensive to replace a $10.00 sealed-beam headlight than it is to do a replacement job on a headlight that would cost many times that much if the work were done at a dealership.

Is this true? Are these cargo vans and the like engineered for ease and cheapness of repair, on the demand of the business owners who buy the vehicles? Or is there a different reason that I'm not yet considering?
Most of those vans were designed with the utility base model price point. Just basic no frills design.

I have not seen or worked on one vehicle where it's taken more than a 5 minutes to R&R a headlight bulb. It's usually slide clips or a few screws. They don't make it that complicated. The composite headlamp housing is usually removed as a unit. In some cases the bulbs themselves are pretty pricey. If it's a HID/LED type bulb it could be $100+ For the part alone to replace. With dealer labor charge of 90-110 bucks yeah a bulb can cost $200

Old 09-12-2015, 03:53 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,774,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I drive a cargo van and nobody has designed it for cheapness of maintenance and repair. The engine is designed so that the spark plugs are inaccessible. The dog house has to be removed and even then parts are not acessable. Last tuneup cost me $600 because it is so labor intensive. The mechanic told me he'd be just as happy if I didn't bring it back.

My son, who does all the mechanical work for our family, refuses to work on the van if it involves trying g to get into the engine compartment.

I need a cargo van so I've spoken to owners of other brands and they all say that tuneup are difficult and expensive. So switching to a different brand doesn't help.

I haven't had a headlamp changed yet so I don't know if that is simple. Difficulty of repairs can easily be judged by the amount of cussing coming from the shop and how bad the words are.
I did a tune-up on my 1987 Dodge Ram B250, and it was fairly easy for even a rank amateur such as myself. Of course, it had a carburetor... could that have anything to do with it?

Old 09-13-2015, 12:42 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Most of those vans were designed with the utility base model price point. Just basic no frills design.

I have not seen or worked on one vehicle where it's taken more than a 5 minutes to R&R a headlight bulb. It's usually slide clips or a few screws. They don't make it that complicated. The composite headlamp housing is usually removed as a unit. In some cases the bulbs themselves are pretty pricey. If it's a HID/LED type bulb it could be $100+ For the part alone to replace. With dealer labor charge of 90-110 bucks yeah a bulb can cost $200
But the service life of a hid bulb is over 2000 hours. Much longer than halogen. The best money can buy hid bulbs are $180 for the pair.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:59 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Don't know if this is a concern...

We have several cars owned for decades and only once did I replace a headlight...

Some of the headlight assemblies are very expensive on newer vehicles.

Old 09-13-2015, 03:35 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Aerocynamic design mandates the headlinght styling of passenger cars. Vans are square-fronted, so no advantage can be gained by redesigning the headlight profile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive