Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2009, 11:33 AM

10 posts, read 92,073 times

Advertisements

The customer service rep insists that I could even use their 10 foot truck without a problem. A friend says that this is doubtful. I'm moving from the Upper West side in Manhattan to White Plains. Also,there is no available parking in my building (waitlist - grrrr) and I'm not sure whether or not the landlord will allow me to temporarily park in the lot while I move my items. I realize that there is no overnight parking on the streets in White Plains, but what goes on during the day? I'd only be leaving it there to transport items to and from my apartment. Is this okay? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 11:55 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
Default No "commercial vehicle" on Parkways

Strictly speaking the answer on parkways is no. If it's a van, e.g., Econoline, you might be able to get away it, but the U-Haul graphics all over it would a red flag for cops. If it's really a truck, forget it. If a parkway cop sees you they'll go after you instantly.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:58 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I agree that I would not chance it with the U-Haul on the parkway, since the Henry Hudson has a toll plaza with a police presence. You an easily take the Deegan to the Cross Westchester, and it's not that much longer of a trip, so that's the route I'd recommend with a U-Haul.

As for parking, that depends upon the street, and what the zone says. Sometimes if there's someone to babysit the vehicle, it may not be an issue with the parking authority, but if you don't have a licensed driver with the vehicle, I'd count on a ticket as part of the cost of the move if it's the only way to load/unload.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-11-2015, 10:40 PM

1 posts, read 38,835 times
I'm using a Uhaul 10 footer truck from Emont, NY to Maryland. Which route should I take to leave.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:02 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,149,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarazlewis View Post
The customer service rep insists that I could even use their 10 foot truck without a problem. A friend says that this is doubtful. I'm moving from the Upper West side in Manhattan to White Plains. Also,there is no available parking in my building (waitlist - grrrr) and I'm not sure whether or not the landlord will allow me to temporarily park in the lot while I move my items. I realize that there is no overnight parking on the streets in White Plains, but what goes on during the day? I'd only be leaving it there to transport items to and from my apartment. Is this okay? Thanks!
Parkways are out for you. Cops pull over U-Hauls at first glance. Its a sure ticket. As for the parking, its tough, but I would find someone to sit in the car and drive it around the block if asked to move it while you are unloading. You can find parking in White Plains during the day, often its pay meters, but they are available depending on the location.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:03 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,573,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
Parkways are out for you. Cops pull over U-Hauls at first glance. Its a sure ticket. As for the parking, its tough, but I would find someone to sit in the car and drive it around the block if asked to move it while you are unloading. You can find parking in White Plains during the day, often its pay meters, but they are available depending on the location.
Pretty sure he got his move done in the last 6 years.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:54 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirarrahim View Post
I'm using a Uhaul 10 footer truck from Emont, NY to Maryland. Which route should I take to leave.
I would take the Clearview Expressway to the Throgs Neck Bridge to the Cross Bronx, using the George Washington Bridge to New Jersey. Once across the river, follow the Turnpike to Delaware and into Maryalnd, as there are no restrictions on commercial trucks on I-95.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-12-2020, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 19,397 times
Any suggestions on how to get from West Haverstraw NY to the Bronx in a Uhaul pickup with trailer ?

Old 08-12-2020, 05:11 PM

18 posts, read 33,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ay_Yoo View Post
Any suggestions on how to get from West Haverstraw NY to the Bronx in a Uhaul pickup with trailer ?
9W to the Tappan Zee/Mario Cuomo Bridge to 87 South (the Thruway/Major Deegan).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County