Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 11:58 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Is there any problems of you switching from one brand of motor oil to another?
All motor has to meet API specs. So make sure the oil you buy is the correct viscosity, API service classification, and type (synthetic or conventional) for your vehicle's engine.

Note that if you all an oil-change shop to change your oil, they will probably use recycled oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 12:11 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
Motor oils are NOT all equal, read some tribology reports and you will see that. I'm willing to bet most of you will need to google tribology just to figure out what I'm talking about, and your eyes will glaze over if you try to read a report LOL
How useful.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:42 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Ever buy Autozone synthetic?

No but i doubt autozone has its own refinery and oil labs. They do what everyone else does. Ring up a oil refinery and tell them to package up 10,000 bottles of your finest 2015 vintage at x price point to meet minimum x requirement ratings.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:27 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yes. For instance you don't want to buy the crap you find on the shelf at 7-11 unless you really need to top off and you're due for an oil change within the next couple hundred miles anyway.

No, as long as they're both high-quality and the viscosity is within manufacturer spec.
The companies that market overpriced commodities love guys like you.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:02 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,277,311 times
I mean Ive gone into the gas station and picked up Wolfs head oil and thats been fine with me. My older brother always used it in his Chevy muscle cars. Ive always used Castrol or Mobil 1 in my 97 VW Gti when I had it.. Went through quite a bit of experimenting with various weights... In the end I settled for whatever the manual said to use because I honestly stopped worrying about it.

The big things with oils are: Synthetic/non-synthetic, and then the specific weight of the oil.

I dont think anyone has mentioned about how even though most of the oil comes from just a couple of major companies... the other companies will also add their own detergents and other mixes of stuff in the oil to make it "their own"

You can also check out the website: Used Oil Analysis - Bob is the Oil Guy - Bob is the Oil Guy There are some great articles there for you to read.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:28 PM

430 posts, read 639,732 times
BTW pay attention to oil weight. Japanese and American cars recommend low viscosity oils for the marginal fuel savings for CAFE. Those thin oils don't necessarily protect the engine adequately. The car maker doesn't care if your car makes it to 200k miles but you probably do.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:36 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,552,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackalope View Post
BTW pay attention to oil weight. Japanese and American cars recommend low viscosity oils for the marginal fuel savings for CAFE. Those thin oils don't necessarily protect the engine adequately. The car maker doesn't care if your car makes it to 200k miles but you probably do.
Agreed. I like using 0W, but I prefer to use 0W-30 over 0W-20. Sure I lose 1 or 2 miles to the gallon, but like you said, the added protection is worth it. 0W-40 seems to be all the rage with auto enthusiasts.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:44 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
How do you know the oil is shearing?
Oil analysis. Blackstone is reliable.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:04 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
One thing to note - there are some oils out there that are fine for non-turbo engines, but are not turbo rated. If you have a car with a factory turbo, look in your owner's manual, maybe visit a forum where owners will have some ideas on what is and ain't OK. Dealer mechanics may or may not be much of a resource but you can ask.

If you did the turbo install yourself, I doubt you need any advice from me on this.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:54 PM

430 posts, read 639,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
One thing to note - there are some oils out there that are fine for non-turbo engines, but are not turbo rated. If you have a car with a factory turbo, look in your owner's manual, maybe visit a forum where owners will have some ideas on what is and ain't OK. Dealer mechanics may or may not be much of a resource but you can ask.

If you did the turbo install yourself, I doubt you need any advice from me on this.
Yeah my Volvo requires some specific spec I can't remember now. It must be because of the turbo. Mobil 1 doesn't meet it. It could mean they never bothered to get certified.

IMO all these specs and ratings are way too confusing. For transmission fluid it's even worse. One supercedes another but the package doesn't explain that. And there are so many specs and weights. Can't there just be like THREE types of fluid and transmissions get built to use one of those?

Edit: Mobil 1 apparently created 3309 fluid for Aisin Warner yet it DOES NOT MEET THE SPEC ANY LONGER. What the hell does that even mean? Mobil 1 Syntheic ATF is not 3309 compliant!!

Last edited by thejackalope; 09-04-2015 at 04:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive