Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 07:10 PM

492 posts, read 638,399 times

Advertisements

I bought a 2010 Land Rover LR4 last year for a shopping/picking people up at the airport car. (My other cars are both 2 seaters.) I thought it was great until I brought it into the shop for something minor and they put it up on the rack and found out it was rusted through. Back to CarMax it went. (And they did good by me, no complaints.)

However, now I'm a bit spooked at used cars, and again am looking for something that can carry a ton of stuff and can seat 5. AWD would be a plus, but not really necessary. Navigation and heated seats are necessary. I'm looking for something less than $30K, with a cargo capacity of at least 70 cu ft.

We happen to rent a RAV4, and it was pretty nice. My daughter recently got a Suburu Crosstrek, and I saw the Forrester looked nice. Anything else I should be looking at?

If I do go for a used car, it would be to get up to the cargo capacity of the LR4, which was close to 90cu ft. Any particular make and models that would go for less than $30K in that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 09:36 PM

19,040 posts, read 27,607,234 times
2010 Yukon Denali AWD, low miles

Old 09-01-2015, 09:37 PM

19,040 posts, read 27,607,234 times
I am not even sure how RAV4 came into play.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:44 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
Honda Pilot

Old 09-02-2015, 06:40 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Since your very price conscious for this class (30K) and have a high priority on cargo capacity, then the first thing you should look at is the Subaru Outback (not Crosstrek or Forester). The Outback is one of the best bang for the bucks in terms of size and capacity vs price that I think you will find. That said, I would also recommend going with the H6 engine if you did get one, which may cross your price threshold.

Another choice, in consideration of price, might be a Dodge Journey. (Oh, I can hear the groaning here on CD now). Certainly not the top choice in the SUV class, but there usually are deals on it making it a good value for features option anyway.

Really, however, I would not let a bad experience with the LR4 dissuade you from the used market. Having a rust through issue on a 5 year old SUV is almost unheard of, except maybe aside from Land Rover, which is certainly not known for being a highly reliable brand. If you change your mind and open yourself up to shopping late model (maybe a couple years old with some warranty left) SUV, you will have a ton of options and all of which should last you a very long time! Particularly as a partial use vehicle.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:57 PM

492 posts, read 638,399 times
Thanks, I'll check out the Outback.

If I do go back to used, what brands of SUVs are considered reliable for say, 2012 or 13 that have decent cargo space but are not huge. I did drive buses for awhile, not willing to go back to that type of thing. :-)

Old 09-04-2015, 11:26 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,992,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
I bought a 2010 Land Rover LR4 last year for a shopping/picking people up at the airport car. (My other cars are both 2 seaters.) I thought it was great until I brought it into the shop for something minor and they put it up on the rack and found out it was rusted through. Back to CarMax it went. (And they did good by me, no complaints.)

However, now I'm a bit spooked at used cars, and again am looking for something that can carry a ton of stuff and can seat 5. AWD would be a plus, but not really necessary. Navigation and heated seats are necessary. I'm looking for something less than $30K, with a cargo capacity of at least 70 cu ft.

We happen to rent a RAV4, and it was pretty nice. My daughter recently got a Suburu Crosstrek, and I saw the Forrester looked nice. Anything else I should be looking at?

If I do go for a used car, it would be to get up to the cargo capacity of the LR4, which was close to 90cu ft. Any particular make and models that would go for less than $30K in that area?
Mazda CX5 2.5
Subaru Forester 2.0XT (used)
Toyota RAV4 2013+
Mercedes GLK350 (used obviously)

Those would be my picks, in order. The CRV just looks like crap and offers nothing more than the others except vibration and NVH problems and the worst AWD of the group.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:27 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,992,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Since your very price conscious for this class (30K) and have a high priority on cargo capacity, then the first thing you should look at is the Subaru Outback (not Crosstrek or Forester). The Outback is one of the best bang for the bucks in terms of size and capacity vs price that I think you will find. That said, I would also recommend going with the H6 engine if you did get one, which may cross your price threshold.

Another choice, in consideration of price, might be a Dodge Journey. (Oh, I can hear the groaning here on CD now). Certainly not the top choice in the SUV class, but there usually are deals on it making it a good value for features option anyway.

Really, however, I would not let a bad experience with the LR4 dissuade you from the used market. Having a rust through issue on a 5 year old SUV is almost unheard of, except maybe aside from Land Rover, which is certainly not known for being a highly reliable brand. If you change your mind and open yourself up to shopping late model (maybe a couple years old with some warranty left) SUV, you will have a ton of options and all of which should last you a very long time! Particularly as a partial use vehicle.
The outback kindof sucks with the H6 and the 4-speed. The newer CVT actually makes use of the power and gets significantly better mileage, but is above the price threshold of OP, unfortunately.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:49 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Outback Limited can be had for a bit under $30k.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:31 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,163,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Honda Pilot
I second this suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive