Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 12:40 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
There's a new type of bandage that uses no glue. You stretch it as you wrap it around the wound. Once wrapped, it grips itself from surface tension. It releases without pulling hair. When planning emergency kit, consider the climate in your area. Do you have snow and or mountains? Do you live in earthquake country? Do you live in wildfire country? Do you live in tornado country? Do you live in hurricane country? All these things play a part in what you should have.

Been using this for decades as vetwrap. You can get it for $4/roll from Amazon, or $2.00/roll from Tractor Supply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 04:53 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
The best thing you can bring in a vehicle is knowledge.

This applies to the young ladies who drive, too. If they can't change a tire, identify anything under the hood, or know how to clamp cables to a battery, it's useless to send them out with anything more than a cell phone and a AAA card. It'll just be "Honey (or "Daddy"), I'm stuck, come help me!". I have been there before...can you tell?

I second the motion for the jump pack (rather than just cables), the tire compressor, and the USB battery bank for cell phones. If you live in snow country, an extendable scraper brush, a bag of road salt and a roll-up tire grip mat will be needed. Check that the spare tire is still good, at least annually.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:19 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I always had a snap-top school pencil box in the trunk, full of any odds and ends that I ever thought useful. Tin can lids that can be cut into odd shapes and bent, a coat hanger for wire, spare bulbs and fuses, odd assortments of nuts, bolts, washers, screws, nails, clothes pins, baggie ties, paper clips, miscellaneous bits of plastic, implements like magnifying glass, magnet, tooth brush,soap chips, wine cork, jar lids, bic lighter, thread, key rings, nail clipper, I think I even had a mouse trap in there once. Pill bottles of fluids, like axle grease, dish soap -- never throw anything little away without first considering whether it might ever be useful in your car box. It's amazing now many of those things came in handy at least once. A pencil stub -- lubricating graphite on one end, rubber eraser on the other. Expired credit card for a non-scratch scraper. Use your imagination. The same box followed me for 25 years through a dozen cars.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
My neice was driving home once from my mom's house, and about 20 miles away she called and said her muffler fell off. I drove out there with a coat hanger, and hung it back on. About a year later I asked her if she ever got her muffler fixed, she said no, the coat hanger is still holding it on.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:09 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Snow country or cold areas. A empty clean metal coffee can some small disc candles in those little metal cups ( you see them at restaurants on tables) and matches. It will make a good radiant heater. If you're stuck for extended period of time you won't be able to run your car thst long. I've used this technique. It works to heat up spaces and can keep you warm.
If you go to high end camping stores they have small candle lanterns. They used to have portable oil lamps and those would burn for 24 hours with a few ounces of fuel. Can't seem to find them anymore. Most people would be surprised what a difference that makes but then again most people aren't camping when it's 0 out.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:15 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The plugs and fix a flat are useless if you run over.. Say a screwdriver in the road and it shreds or rips a big hole in the tire.. Or, even if you get something in the sidewall.
Depends on how big the hole is but I've patched tears perhaps as big as one inch with plugs. You have to stuff a bunch of them in. Obviously should be a last resort and drive slowly, if it gets you somewhere it's better than nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive