Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 08:40 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeraKera View Post
And by the end of the year, I am sure I will hit the 40k mark.

I purchased a brand new Nissan Altima last Year which only had 70 miles in it.

I can't believe I have so many miles on it now. I don't know if them being mainly highway miles matter or not.

Has anyone here put so many miles on a brand new car before? If so, what problems did you encounter with the car. I go home every 3 weeks , putting about 450 miles in my car round trip and I don't foresee this ending.

My husband thinks I should look into rentals so I can reduce the miles and wear and tear on it, but I am not sure of this decision.
I have to travel quite a bit with my job. Average around 5000 miles/month and have broken 8000 miles in a month on numerous occasions. A few years ago I went over the math, and realized it was just cheaper for me to rent. Have been renting ever since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 08:49 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:

I can't believe I have so many miles on it now. I don't know if them being mainly highway miles matter or not.

Has anyone here put so many miles on a brand new car before? If so, what problems did you encounter with the car. I go home every 3 weeks , putting about 450 miles in my car round trip and I don't foresee this ending.

My husband thinks I should look into rentals so I can reduce the miles and wear and tear on it, but I am not sure of this decision.
Using your figures, by the end of the year you will have earned a $23,000 allowance from the IRS - how much will your actual expenses have been?

Old 09-09-2015, 08:58 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
just run full synthetic in it and change it every 6K miles and you should be fine. No sludge build up in that one....keep an eye on O2 Sensors as well but, for the next 100K you should be fine...about 3 years at this pace....you will go through a set of tires in less than two years (less than a year left on the ones you have), check out Discount tire and take the trade in value every 18 months as no tire ever reaches it's rating.

Throw some plugs in it every 80K, CHANGE THE TRANSMISSION fluid every 60-70K....yeah, there's probably not much else to do to get it to see 200K although Nissan's seem to be a bit finicky...not as bad as 10 years ago but, they tend to have TPO sensor problems and other niggling issues....good looking car though, got to give them that.....

Next time, go for a Toyota. There's no way you won't see 200K-300K out of one of those sleds and a fraction of the problems....

Old 09-09-2015, 09:00 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
From 1974 until 1992 I routinely drove about 40,000 miles a year in company cars for business purposes.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:11 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Drive it till the wheels fall off. Renting a car is just adding to your monthly vehicle cost. You should be able to easily get 200k out of it. Your driving is mostly highway? Keep up on the maintenance.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:23 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:

Ok, you go 'home' about 17 times a year, times 450 miles round trip each. That's about 7,650 miles in a year. That leaves only 32,350 miles per year unaccounted for. Did this amount of driving start when you bought your new car? Why are you surprised at the distance you drive? Do you have miles on the car that you can't explain to your husband?

You bought the car to drive. You are driving it. What's the big deal? It's a lot cheaper to drive your own car than it is to rent a car, why would your husband even consider that? If rentals were a good idea, wouldn't it have made sense to just use a rental all the time?

Of course the car will wear out faster with more miles. So must your previous car have.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:25 PM

638 posts, read 2,244,111 times
Oil changes! Its the one thing people don't seem to get about cars. It's blood for your car. Keep it full of good oil and do regular check ups like transmission and steering fluid. Keep that oil changed as frequently as you can afford. Breaks are usually the first problem you will run into from my experience. Easy and cheap to fix if you keep up on them and don't let the pads wear out.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:45 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,973,624 times
Your car should be fine if you keep up with oil change.. Use full synthetic, wash your car often. Don't leave those bugs dry on your hood and bumper. The Altima are good cars.

quick story. I traded car with my dad. He took my Lexus LS sedan. I took his 2012 Brand new rx350

July 4 th weekend. I picked up his car with 24kmiles. Today, roughly 9 weeks later it's at 33.500 miles.
The car held up well, but now has some rock chips. I feel bad, it's his pleasure car...

Call me crazy, I say driving a lot is good for the car. Gives it a good daily work out.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:49 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
I have to travel quite a bit with my job. Average around 5000 miles/month and have broken 8000 miles in a month on numerous occasions. A few years ago I went over the math, and realized it was just cheaper for me to rent. Have been renting ever since.
Could you expand on your math that shows renting is cheaper?

Old 09-10-2015, 04:25 AM

9 posts, read 9,370 times
The same was with me. I purchased Chevrolet top model car and within one month its mileage comes to nearly 1000 miles, because of the nature of my work. But one thing was that I got its service done after 500 miles and it continued to give me best ride without any problem. My suggestion to you is same that after every 500 miles, you should also get its service done and it will continue to give you its best results.

Your husband might be in fear that with so such mileage at regular intervals its condition not get much worsened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive