Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 08:14 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,414,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
Other car companies can hit the performance and emissions targets they want without hacking their software.
There are also no other car companies fielding a mass market diesel sedan. The EPA likely just succeeded in destroying that market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 08:31 AM

178 posts, read 162,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
There are also no other car companies fielding a mass market diesel sedan. The EPA likely just succeeded in destroying that market.
EPA has no effect on Europe. Ze diesels are in ze really hot water over there, especially the buses and older diesel vehicles.

Diesels would not have had a market at all if it weren't for the Euros giving them government sweets and lemonade towards the vehicle. But now that two major cities, Paris and London, are dealing with some nasty pollution, diesels are on their way out on the continent where it matters.

And no, the environmental regulations are justified, unless you deliberately want nasty air pollution like the Euros are dealing with right now.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:05 AM

162 posts, read 146,851 times
I have read the "cafe" standards force automobile makers to lighten the cars year after year. I remember reading that these "cafe" standards or mileage standards actually cause more injuries to occupants due to the lighter weight of the vehicle. Not having worked as an engineer or in the auto business is this true?

Old 09-21-2015, 09:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,707 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
CARB is the agency in this case. They are beyond reasonable. (Due to needing to support the popularity (laziness) of 3,000 CA idling cars sitting in a 'drive-up' line at any one time @ In-n-Out or Starbucks) in a state with FINE weather... i.e. not needing to brave the rain or snow to get your latte...

This is 2015... the IC is century old + technology, and there is no need to have a zillion private cars in London and Paris (I've lived in both, as well as several more 'modern' urban cities with decent PT).

Too bad such a PUSH is over a dinky test routine which rarely equates to normal driving conditions (especially for diesel). Even my required dyno test is 'simulated' with requirements no reasonable driver uses. (They lug down the engine below 1,000rpm, then FULL THROTTLE acceleration (3x) to test for opacity (which of course I have NONE). But I have argued the unreasonable test, they say it is only to prove worse case (which is very hard on the engine and not something someone is gonna due if they have any knowledge of engine efficiency and protection).

This is 2015... if CARB wants to be of value they could simply tax vehicles with a Carbon Tax at the pump, This could define the fuel (base tax on Carbon content, resulting in benefit to alternative fuels). (This will be the end of 10,000 CARB related jobs, and millions of wasted maint / testing dollars / yr).
Consumers would have a 'built-in-conservation' incentive. Of course the RICH wouldn't care, so they can keep driving their boats / hummers. Joe Little (Me) will get by just fine dropping my dinar in the collection dish at a rate of near zero, for 20 gal of alternative fuel / 1,000 miles.

While this is 2015 it sure feels a lot like 1975 (driving my 1976 car today), but with a whole lot more 'drama' / rules / FINES. We (USA) are really out in front on this one...

Not to worry about destroying the diesel market in USA... I will keep driving my 1976 - 1999.5 VW-D's, I have plenty of spares (and the engines drop into ANY of the VW water cooled chassis... Pick-up to Vanagon, Rabbit to Passat (Quantum synchro )

Old 09-21-2015, 09:16 AM

178 posts, read 162,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
CARB is the agency in this case. They are beyond reasonable. (Due to needing to support the popularity (laziness) of 3,000 CA idling cars sitting in a 'drive-up' line at any one time @ In-n-Out or Starbucks) in a state with FINE weather... i.e. not needing to brave the rain or snow to get your latte...

This is 2015... the IC is century old + technology, and there is no need to have a zillion private cars in London and Paris (I've lived in both, as well as several more 'modern' urban cities with decent PT).

Too bad such a PUSH is over a dinky test routine which rarely equates to normal driving conditions (especially for diesel). Even my required dyno test is 'simulated' with requirements no reasonable driver uses. (They lug down the engine below 1,000rpm, then FULL THROTTLE acceleration (3x) to test for opacity (which of course I have NONE). But I have argued the unreasonable test, they say it is only to prove worse case (which is very hard on the engine and not something someone is gonna due if they have any knowledge of engine efficiency and protection).

This is 2015... if CARB wants to be of value they could simply tax vehicles with a Carbon Tax at the pump, This could define the fuel (base tax on Carbon content, resulting in benefit to alternative fuels). (This will be the end of 10,000 CARB related jobs, and millions of wasted maint / testing dollars / yr).
Consumers would have a 'built-in-conservation' incentive. Of course the RICH wouldn't care, so they can keep driving their boats / hummers. Joe Little (Me) will get by just fine dropping my dinar in the collection dish at a rate of near zero, for 20 gal of alternative fuel / 1,000 miles.

While this is 2015 it sure feels a lot like 1975 (driving my 1976 car today), but with a whole lot more 'drama' / rules / FINES. We (USA) are really out in front on this one...

Not to worry about destroying the diesel market in USA... I will keep driving my 1976 - 1999.5 VW-D's, I have plenty of spares (and the engines drop into ANY of the VW water cooled chassis... Pick-up to Vanagon, Rabbit to Passat (Quantum synchro )
If the people in London and Paris don't need vechicles, they should not have even bought their diesels, or not be allowed to.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:56 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/autos/volkswag...357726737.html

This does not look good for VW...to say the least...
The anti-regulation folks should be happy about this one

Old 09-21-2015, 10:09 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I'm an engineer. I have always wondered how VW could meet the emissions rules for light diesels without using urea injection.
Only the Golf. The other VW diesel vehicles have urea injection.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:26 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
There used to be safety inspection checkpoints at random locations, but I have not encountered those in decades.

The last one I encountered was near Springfield, Ohio in 1984.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:29 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,164,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Where are all of the VW fans?
I've had VW diesels and still love them since contrary to many "in the know" I have had less reliability issues with VW than most Japanese & American cars I owned.

I still view VW as one of the best value car, especially when one considers the fun, drivability factor, looks and low MPG.

In my area while we have an annual NC mandatory safety and emission test required to be done. It cost $30 no matter who does it (qualified approved shops only). On TDI the cost is less when compared to gas engine since they don't check emission for diesels.

We'll see what will come out of this...

Old 09-21-2015, 10:49 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post

I still view VW as one of the best value car, especially when one considers the fun, drivability factor, looks and low MPG.
So you updated to the latest VW software?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive