Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 09:16 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
If a dealer wrecks your car somehow while it's in for service, what happens? Does the dealer's insurance pay for it or would they just give you one of the cars on their lot right away to avoid messing around with the insurance company & possibly changing rates?

What happens if a dealer wrecks your car? Has it happened to you or anyone you know?

Seems like a good way to get a new car, especially if they give you a new car with similar trim levels to what you originally bought!
It's a very unlikely way of getting a new car. You do realize that dealership don't usually own those new cars sitting in their lot.

Service department of dealership has insurance and that is who will be trying to make you whole again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 09:25 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
Dealership insurance pays you it's blue book value. I worked as a tech in a dealership for a while, and I can remember four times cars were wreaked. One in the service bay a tech was using a torch to cut a bolt and the car went up in flames, once a diesel ran away and destroyed the engine, one a car fell off the rack, and one a salesman rolled a car while driving it.
Insurance pays, and depending on why and how it happened, the tech may be picking up his final check.

My vehicle has a agreed upon value of 45k. I would go to my insurance to get the payoff and let them collect from the dealer.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:32 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Just like in any accident, it is your insurance that will pay to repair the damage or replace the vehicle. They then go after the other party's insurance for compensation.
If my car is damage in anyway that requires a cost. I would never try to collect from my insurance first. I'll open a claim but will pursuit the other insurer unless there is a dispute where I need my insurance to step it up. Going after he other party first gives me much more leverage IMHO and past experiences.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:07 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,556 times
Kind of what this mechanic did !

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/gon...icle-1.1843311

Old 09-23-2015, 01:18 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That's the one outcome you can rule out.
Well after the dealership totaled my car when plowing the lot it was parked in.The dealer offered a settlement of the full price I paid for the replacement vehicle. All it cost extra was the registration / plate transfer fees. After haven driven the totaled car for 6 months, I was happy with their settlement.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:18 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
If a dealer wrecks your car somehow while it's in for service, what happens? Does the dealer's insurance pay for it or would they just give you one of the cars on their lot right away to avoid messing around with the insurance company & possibly changing rates?

What happens if a dealer wrecks your car? Has it happened to you or anyone you know?

Seems like a good way to get a new car, especially if they give you a new car with similar trim levels to what you originally bought!
Never happen. The dealer's insurance would pay to repair the car. Having been damaged by a car dealer has nothing to do with how the repair is handled. If your car was damaged by a valet service or a florist delivery truck, the vehicle/company at fault pays damages.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:11 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
Insurance pays, and depending on why and how it happened, the tech may be picking up his final check.
Who determines why and how? Is a 3rd party brought in or an internal investigation is done?

Old 09-23-2015, 04:28 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,895 times
I had my car in a dealership for warranty work when it was stolen right out of one of their repair bays. I notified my insurance and they handled the claim. Two weeks later I'm patrolling downtown L.A. and what do I see? My car. The driver gets hooked up and taken to jail. I pass it on to the detectives and, lo and behold, they find an inside man at the dealership that aided the car thief. He gets a ride to the slammer, too.

Fortunately, my car was in great shape when I was able to get it out of impound. The thief actually took good care of it.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:33 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
My husband owns a repair shop, and he hasn't ever "wrecked" a car, but he did damage one once. He was backing the car out of the service bay, and had the driver's side door open so he could look out at something on the rear of the car while backing, and the door hit a post.

He has insurance, of course, for just this kind of eventuality. The insurance paid to repair the door.

As his shop is not a dealership, of course he could not just hand over a new car. And I doubt the dealership would do that either. They would go through the same insurance process as anyone else.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:37 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
not wrecked but in year 2 in for included annual oil change they scratched up the front body panel pretty bad while it was in the lot. They put it in their body shop at their cost for weeks. It was an agonizing wait, but it was good as new coming out (even better since the pre-existing rock dings were also gone). Nothing is on the carfax for it so all is good. I don't plan to sell it anytime short of 10 years old anyway. I never asked for a loaner as I had 2 cars, though looking back I should have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive