Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 07:52 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,729,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
How many miles were driven on the new setup?

I find it hard to believe that 4 BRAND NEW rotors and 4 sets of pads are "warped".

Brake rotor warping is caused by rotor runout due to excessive rotor heat causing pad material to fuse to the rotor surface. On NEW brake rotors, this is possibly due to poor bedding in (or incorrect bedding in). Lug nut torque has minimal impact on rotor warping. It's mostly an overheated rotor and keeping pad pressure on the rotor.

Did the mechanic test drive the car afterwards?

New rotors should not be warped until someone warps them.
so far? only about 10 mi.

he tested it but not sure how in-depth. see his work order - he mentions the pulsating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 08:04 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,103,431 times
This type of thing happens all the time.

Customer sources cheap parts, likely ends up picking a brand the mechanic never would have recommended, and then they fail to no surprise. It's a gamble you take every time you bring in parts. I've brought in my own parts for ~90% of my vehicle repairs in the last 10 years. The first year or two I learned this lesson the difficult way--you have to source good parts.

FYI rotors can be easily warped in the first few miles of their life. You should always go easy on them for ~500 miles. If you or the mechanic romped on the brake pedal right after installation, it wouldn't surprise me that you have warped rotors.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
This type of thing happens all the time.

Customer sources cheap parts, likely ends up picking a brand the mechanic never would have recommended, and then they fail to no surprise. It's a gamble you take every time you bring in parts. I've brought in my own parts for ~90% of my vehicle repairs in the last 10 years. The first year or two I learned this lesson the difficult way--you have to source good parts.

FYI rotors can be easily warped in the first few miles of their life. You should always go easy on them for ~500 miles. If you or the mechanic romped on the brake pedal right after installation, it wouldn't surprise me that you have warped rotors.
i did source good parts. but i understand your point.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:08 AM

15,809 posts, read 20,568,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
so far? only about 10 mi.

he tested it but not sure how in-depth. see his work order - he mentions the pulsating.

Did you get the Economy Centric rotors...or the Premium versions?

Old 09-30-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
If he romped on them immediately and then came to a stop with his foot on the pedal...I could see that causing the pulsation.

Of course, no way to prove it.

I'd prob order another set of rear rotors, swap them out and send the others back.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:10 AM

3,380 posts, read 9,219,575 times
Ask the shop this question.

How do you install the wheels on my car?

If their answer involves an impact wrench and they don't use the word torque wrench there is a chance they warped the rotor.

Better yet swing by the shop and see how they install wheels.

You can warp a rotor if you install a wheel with an impact wrench on full blast without using a criss cross pattern.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Did you get the Economy Centric rotors...or the Premium versions?
http://www.amazon.com/Centric-Parts-...arts+120.40068

http://www.amazon.com/Centric-120-40...um+Brake+Rotor

premium

Old 09-30-2015, 08:24 AM

OP,

Do you have pad imprints on the rotors?

It's a area on the rotor sthat looks like the shape of the pad, or looks similar to above? This is whan the brakes become overheated and someone rests their foot on the pedal and fuses pad material to the rotor surface.

The above picture is usually seen with pedal pulsation, and is the direct result of improper bedding procedure, or riding the brake pedal.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:25 AM

Those are good rotors. I run those on my Infiniti because, ironically, they resist warping a lot more than the OEM rotors I usually run. The OEM Nissan rotors would warp just backing out of the driveway. The Centric Premiums have been a lot more resistant.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:28 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,054,708 times
By bringing in your own parts you have little recourse to pin this on the shop. If you had faulty parts, they are your parts. You get to deal with the headache. Had this been parts supplied by the shop, then you have a little more leverage to say they should have done something to ensure this was not pulsating when the vehicle left the shop. As someone else said, the shop did exactly what you asked. They put on the parts you asked them to install.

Taking away the shops opportunity to make a profit by bringing in your own parts is generally not well received unless this is a buddy or a long standing relationship. I would suggest for future reference that you get some quotes and know what the appropriate price should be for the high quality parts you want used, and let the shop source the parts and take the responsibility for the end result. You can tell by their estimate if the price is reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive