Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 04:19 PM

998 posts, read 1,241,231 times

Advertisements

Check Tire Rack ...
The Bridgestone duelers don't get very good reviews ... at least the ones that are standard on Subaru Forester XTs don't.

Priority (IMO) should be traction ... mileage and noise secondary.

And definitely do not scrimp on tires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 04:48 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,425,765 times
Do not skimp on tires, I agree. I would not buy an off-brand, since there is a sacrifice in ride comfort or performance because they are built for a price.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-02-2015, 05:01 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,011,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydinMaine View Post
Good idea. Never skimp on tires and purchase the off brands.

Never ever get cheap tires. The quality control is mixed.

My used car came with two new cheap Asian tires. No amount of balancing will get them to stop vibrating. Minor but noticeable. Yes, the suspension has been checked. New alignment.
On the other hand my other two tires - Cooper CS5 Grand Touring (Made in USA) tires are as smooth as glass.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:07 PM

124 posts, read 173,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Never ever get cheap tires. The quality control is mixed.

My used car came with two new cheap Asian tires. No amount of balancing will get them to stop vibrating. Minor but noticeable. Yes, the suspension has been checked. New alignment.
On the other hand my other two tires - Cooper CS5 Grand Touring (Made in USA) tires are as smooth as glass.
You're correct. I was agreeing with the OP on their decision to pass on the cheap tires and consider the name brand tires.

I would never put junk no name tires on my vehicles.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:08 PM

590 posts, read 715,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
My title says it all - buy Pathfinder tires at the max price my budget would allow? Or a no name brand, same warranty (Discount tire) but for 25% less?

Every other time in my life that I needed a full set of new tires, my dad was making the purchase... so I need input from someone who knows what they're talking about. I've done a lot of reading, but I'm unsure what to do.

My husband knows less about cars than I do
Costco+Michelin= best warranty out there IMO and great quality tires that aren't made in China! Tires aren't something you should budget for...would you budget for brakes? or a windshield?

Old 10-02-2015, 07:12 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,955,540 times
Bud o mine put a set of Pathfinders on his Dakota. He ran them 50,000 miles with zero issues and had lots of miles left when he traded for a new truck.I put a set on a Ranger before that and get great service from them. Not knowing the size you're trying to put on it, I would certainly look at the Yokohama GO51 Geolander H/TS. They ride great, are quiet, handle fabulously in wet environments, but I have no clue about snow since we rarely get it. The Geo Series of tires are my "go to" tires for most anything SUV or pickup. I've always gotten great service out of them. For standard sized tires on your 2010 rig is a 20 dollar premium to the Pathfinders per their website for 4.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:43 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,985,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Tires is one of those things I don't like to skim on.
My wife and I disagree on this issue. I buy the cheap ones; she buys those high dollar Michelins. But she spends money on a lot of crap I think is unnecessary: an alarm system; fertilization service, computer backup program, and various other things. Houston is full of all sorts of tire destroying items, and I've gotten nails in the sidewalls of both new expensive tires that were installed on my cars before I bought them and the cheap ones I purchased myself. There seems to be no difference in quality at all. I also discovered that paying all that extra on a tire warranty at Discount is just a waste of money. Discount patches your tires for free if they can be patched, and if your tire is destroyed, they pro-rate the wear anyway at no extra charge to me. A lot of fees that companies tack on can be avoided if you're just a savvy consumer. I don't like giving away my hard earned money for nothing.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:10 AM

5,680 posts, read 5,907,426 times
Quote:
The Bridgestone Dueler is exactly what I am looking at. Thanks for all your input!

That's what I'm planning on putting on our Enclave. What is it HT or something like that? Either that or the Firestone Destination LE II. The Destination LE has had problems, but the LE II is doing pretty good. My son put those on his truck, and they still look new after 10000, possibly more by now.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:50 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,581,762 times
Default New tires - buy the best at max price, off brand for 25% less?

Tires are not the item to skimp on, as your safety on the road depends in large part on the tires' condition and quality. Good tires are necessary for safe driving.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:00 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,015,365 times
Quote:
The car is a Ford Escape. The tires I'm looking at are Pathfinder, though there's a same priced/comparable Bridgestone set too. The off brand is "Laufenn"

We only have one vehicle right now, but we're still a low miles family. This 5 year old vehicle has about 80k mi on it right now, for instance. Next summer, I plan to take the car on a 5k roadtrip though
Get on Tirerack and do some research. I suggest getting good tires, which doesn't always mean the most expensive ones. Look at the ratings. Do you do a lot of driving in rain? I live in Pittsburgh, so I always want great rain tires. I never skimp on tires. I feel they are very important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive