Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 07:09 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times

Advertisements

seek out a local independent shop that specializes in or does a lot of work on the vehicle make/model under consideration.

ask them if they'll do a "pre-buy inspection" of the vehicle for you, and at what price.

be clear that you are not asking them to make the "purchase decision" on the vehicle, but merely seeking their knowledgeable assessment/working familiarity with the vehicle so that you can be advised of the current condition and make your own informed purchase decision.

I've not had good results with the "mobile places". Have had a lot of razzle-dazzle "200 point" checklist that was all fluff and they missed the mechanical faults of the cars that were obvious to a trained/familiar with the car tech.

all the reputable dealers I've dealt with have always allowed me to do or have a pre-buy inspection.

Extended warranty? if it's the manufacturer's warranty that can be extended, it may be worth considering ... depending upon the car/price point. If it's an aftermarket warranty and you've done your due diligence prior to the purchase, it's highly unlikely that you'll be ahead with that warranty; most of them that were presented to me for repairs in my shop were essentially worthless to the car owner with very rare exception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive