Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 09:22 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times

Advertisements

I have a 2000 Silverado with almost 200,000 miles. It has an alternator that needs attention. Three weeks ago I put 1,100 miles on it in two days. It was pulling a trailer. I also pull a 5th wheel camper and haul machinery with it.

I prefer Fords. But the Chevrolet gets the job done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 10:03 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I sold my 2000 Silverado and never looked back. It was a continuous exercise in fix this fix that. "Small" stuff mostly, but annoying, you had to work on the thing every other month. Was good exercise for a tree shade mechanic but.... Also, read on GM piston slap. Those trucks are haunted by it. Go to any large F150 or GM trucks forum, plenty of those, and you'll see hundreds and hundreds of pages of issues.
Here, you'll get opinion like mine - no better used truck than older Tacoma or, even older Nissan. Or, retarded trucks like Mazda series or Rangers. But none of those meets your criteria of a larger truck.
Then you will have opinions like - F150 is the best truck in the world never breaks.
As I said - head to Ford or GM forums and read THERE. They have condensed feedback. Do NOT ask there what owners think. It's simple psychology - owners tend to cover up their unwise decisions and over praise what they bought. It's the guys that will scream Help in their posts you should read.
Just put $1,100 into a used F-150 (2001) extended XLT with the 4.2 six. Fuel pump went out. Again, after 30,000 miles. Soooooooo, new fuel pump, filt, rear brakes, and sway bar bushings......truck has 140,000 miles on it. It's gone through 2k of other work the last 4 years...shocks, fuel pump, cracked intake, power mirror switch, radiator, water pump, shocks, serpentine belt...bought it with 93,000 on it and it's pretty much a money pit. Brakes, battery, oil, and tires are nominal and expected. It's the other stuff that wears you out.......I've owned doDge, Chevy, ford trucks on and off through the years. The dodge was the worst for build quality hands down. Ford was second (waiting for the transmission to go next) and overall Chevy was the best.

If it were me I'd still look at the chevy's. I think you will have trouble with all of them as it relates to bolt ins (alternators, starters, water and fuel pumps, AC, power steering) BUT, I think the Chevy overall will be less. Spend a few thousand more and get an 08 or newer.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:09 PM

878 posts, read 1,207,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Thanks for all the input. I've wrestled with upping my budget to $15K, But I suspect I will be using the truck to haul a trailer from Ca to Ga. Then after that I think it will be driven maybe 2x a week for when I need to move things. I think I might put less than 8k miles a year on it.
Believe it or not, you might be able to get a Cadillac Escalade EXT (the Cadillac version of the Avalanche) for under $15K, with a bit of searching, and it would likely be '06 or newer-- not sure if the shorter truck bed will work for your needs.

Another option, again with a shorter box, might be the Honda Ridgeline.

I'm not very familiar with the reliability of either the Cadillac or the Honda, as I'm in the midst of doing a similar search for myself (AWD or 4X4, truck or SUV, for under $15K) and am just now starting to do the research on reliability and common issues now that I've identified vehicles that are within my price point.

Another option might be an Expedition, if an SUV might do.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:09 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Towing capacity is a factor for me. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the ridgeline or expedition have very much towing capacity.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:25 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,933,130 times
Get a Chevy, that is what I drive, drove a friends F250 last week, what a pos, I'll stick with my Chevy

Old 10-08-2015, 01:51 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Towing capacity is a factor for me. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the ridgeline or expedition have very much towing capacity.
how much are you going to tow regularly?

Old 10-08-2015, 06:25 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
The Ridgeline?

Old 10-08-2015, 07:22 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:
I am looking at buying a used pickup truck like a Ford F150 or Chevy Silverado with an extended cab. I am looking to spend about $10K or so. Most of the ones I see have 100,000 to 180,000 miles and are from 2000 to 2006.
Will the higher mileage be an issue? I have a Lexus with 180,000 miles with no issues at all. Din't know how american trucks in these years hedl up.
Any input would be appreciated.
Two schools of thought. My auto shop teacher always liked older cars with lower millage vs new cars with higher millage.

Cars bottom out at depriciation around years 7-10. If you find a low milage garaged ten year old truck you are better off.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:42 AM

878 posts, read 1,207,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
The Ridgeline?
LOL, I wouldn't be caught dead in one either, but it depreciates like mad, so there's that.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:33 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,224,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I sold my 2000 Silverado and never looked back. It was a continuous exercise in fix this fix that. "Small" stuff mostly, but annoying, you had to work on the thing every other month. Was good exercise for a tree shade mechanic but.... Also, read on GM piston slap. Those trucks are haunted by it. Go to any large F150 or GM trucks forum, plenty of those, and you'll see hundreds and hundreds of pages of issues.
Here, you'll get opinion like mine - no better used truck than older Tacoma or, even older Nissan. Or, retarded trucks like Mazda series or Rangers. But none of those meets your criteria of a larger truck.
Then you will have opinions like - F150 is the best truck in the world never breaks.
As I said - head to Ford or GM forums and read THERE. They have condensed feedback. Do NOT ask there what owners think. It's simple psychology - owners tend to cover up their unwise decisions and over praise what they bought. It's the guys that will scream Help in their posts you should read.
The truck will run forever with piston slap. You obviously don't know anything about automotive repair. I have 2000 gmc sierra with 189000 miles and rarely have issues. You sound like one of those people who just drive stuff and expect to never do maintenance on it and then complain when it breaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive