Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 11:22 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,926,599 times

Advertisements

But using a computer usually requires typing while seeing the screen, so it's more analogous to texting than talking on a phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 11:47 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,256,270 times
OP, I think you are missing the point that many people work in their cars while they are parked. Sales people on the road, or as someone else said, parents sitting in their cars during soccer practice.

Yes, someone could be an idiot and think they could type on their laptop while driving. But natural selection will weed them out sooner rather than later - if they are stupid enough to keep trying after the first time they turn the wheel and the laptop falls off!

Old 10-23-2015, 11:51 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,130,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Not sure what a knee jersey reaction is, but if you're saying I had a knee-jerk reaction, then yes, I probably did. But now after a whole day to consider it more, I still think it's a very ill-thought and potentially unsafe product. Some knee-jerk reactions are quite appropriate and accurate.

Upon further thought after my knee-jersey reaction, I've also considered how having any contraption attached to my steering wheel would be annoying and would get in my way. Who wants some crap attached to their steering wheel while driving, even if it might provide some comfort when you're facebooking while watching soccer practice?

And here's another wrinkle I hadn't even thought of yesterday: how does it affect airbag deployment? Sure it's probably lightweight, but if propelled into your face, neck, or chest by a rapidly deploying airbag, it's sure to cause some injury you wouldn't otherwise have.
Why would you have it attached while driving? For what logical reason did you decide this was necessary? It has clear and valid uses when the vehicle is stationary. Even the dimmest person will realize that turning the steering wheel with this attached is hugely cumbersome and in turn they will detach it.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:11 PM

I only know what is in the picture. I have no idea if it goes on and off easily, or if you have to permanently (or semi-permanently) install it on your steering wheel. The way the picture looks, you just leave it on there. It very well could snap on and off, but that is not clear at all. I just went by what the ad says and what the picture shows. And it all implies "drive with this on your wheel."

In fact, here's what is says:

Being comfortable is one of the biggest challenges when on the road.
Specifically designed with safety in mind.
Fits with the steering wheel completely upside down.
This allows you to make your steering one of the most ergonomic work spaces available.
This tray can fit multiple different applications from holding your tablet, Bluetooth keyboard, or simply be used as an eating surface.
The lightweight construction makes it easy to carry in a bag or stow away when not in use.

My emphasis is added in the red. It clearly says when on the road.
"Make your steering one of the most ergonomic work spaces.." makes it sound like the workplace is there while steering.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:25 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,944,718 times
Quote:
I only know what is in the picture. I have no idea if it goes on and off easily, or if you have to permanently (or semi-permanently) install it on your steering wheel. The way the picture looks, you just leave it on there. It very well could snap on and off, but that is not clear at all. I just went by what the ad says and what the picture shows. And it all implies "drive with this on your wheel."

In fact, here's what is says:

Being comfortable is one of the biggest challenges when on the road.
Specifically designed with safety in mind.
This allows you to make your steering one of the most ergonomic work spaces available.
This tray can fit multiple different applications from holding your tablet, Bluetooth keyboard, or simply be used as an eating surface.
The lightweight construction makes it easy to carry in a bag or stow away when not in use.

My emphasis is added in the red. It clearly says when on the road.
"Make your steering one of the most ergonomic work spaces.." makes it sound like the workplace is there while steering.

LOL.

Meaning people working on the road.. Not in their office. You are implying on the road mean while you are driving down the road.

If one plan to drive with the steering wheels turned 180 degrees, no amount of warnings will help that person.

Last edited by sj08054; 10-23-2015 at 01:34 PM..

Old 10-23-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
LOL.

Meaning people working on the road.. Not in their office. You are implying on the road mean while you are driving down the road.

If one plan to drive with the steering wheels turned 180 degrees, no amount of warnings will help that person.
To me "on the road" means literally "driving on the road." I think their wording is really problematic-- maybe English is their second language or their ad or web people are just really bad at communication skills.

I have no idea what that part means with the steering wheel completely upside down. If you're parked, and turned your wheel upside down, wouldn't that necessitate your tires being turned drastically to one side? Then when you later try to back out of the parking space, you'd better quickly straighten out your wheel. Besides, in the picture, the steering wheel appears to be completely straight in the normal position.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:46 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,256,270 times
Quote:
To me "on the road" means literally "driving on the road." I think their wording is really problematic-- maybe English is their second language or their ad or web people are just really bad at communication skills.

I have no idea what that part means with the steering wheel completely upside down. If you're parked, and turned your wheel upside down, wouldn't that necessitate your tires being turned drastically to one side? Then when you later try to back out of the parking space, you'd better quickly straighten out your wheel. Besides, in the picture, the steering wheel appears to be completely straight in the normal position.
Or perhaps, your English and literary skills and knowledge are lacking. Being "on the road" as an expression meaning to travel is longstanding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Road

Old 10-23-2015, 02:00 PM

Oh Jeez, I'm very aware of the term "being on the road." It's just that when you are advertising a product, and that product involves something that attaches to your car, "on the road" now means literally on the road. If it is figuratively "on the road" they should explain that better, because the context now makes "on the road" mean driving on the actual road.
My English and literary knowledge and skills, are just fine, that you.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:13 PM

20 posts, read 58,515 times
[quote=TracySam;41652351]How is this thing even legal?

Buy online top recommended Zone Tech Car Ipad Laptop/Eating Steering Wheel Desk on carkart.com

Could you imagine the people who are already driving around on their phones, and distracted by other stuff, now having their laptops hooked up to their steering wheel?[/QUOT

THAT'S INSANE!!!

Old 10-23-2015, 02:25 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,944,718 times
[quote=Kiki Jensen;41665104]
Quote:
How is this thing even legal?

Buy online top recommended Zone Tech Car Ipad Laptop/Eating Steering Wheel Desk on carkart.com

Could you imagine the people who are already driving around on their phones, and distracted by other stuff, now having their laptops hooked up to their steering wheel?[/QUOT

THAT'S INSANE!!!
and possibly spilling drinks onto their keyboard? Maybe there is enough space on the pad that some women can put a mirror there so they can put on their make without having to use their rear view mirror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive